An Old School Catholic Message Board

"The Habit of Rainbows"

AlterDominicus

I didn't know the Sisters of Life were associated with Dominicans! Well you really do learn something every day!

:lol: Should I go back to bed now that I've fulfilled my learning quota?

[quote name='HisChild' post='1052725' date='Aug 29 2006, 10:38 AM']
Wow, Gemma, what an awful thing to say about a person. . . 'they're a reject from a convent. . .' Regardless of a person's situation, that's rather harsh.
[/quote]

Sorry, that's my human side speaking. She really lit into me in other areas. Horrific jealousy from her side where my accomplishments are concerned, and she's still on my one last nerve.

I was just calling it as I saw it. Such happens within religious families. I think she has something wrong. I know what my problem is--she's just too proud to see her own.

Pray for both of us. Thanks.

Blessings,
Gemma

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1052832' date='Aug 29 2006, 01:02 PM']
I didn't know the Sisters of Life were associated with Dominicans! Well you really do learn something every day!

[/quote]

iam pretty sure theya re dominican, however i could be wrong. their habit looks dominican!!! again i could be wrong!!!

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1052832' date='Aug 29 2006, 02:02 PM']

[/quote]

I'm not sure why Cardinal O'Connor chose that habit for the Sisters of Life--more than likely shown to him in prayer--but it's BASED on that of the Nashville Dominicans. Mother Assumpta did go up there to help form the community and spoke with the aspirants about community life. As far as I know, they follow the Rule of St. Augustine, with the constitutions given them by the Cardinal-founder.

The SSEW were co-founded by Mother Assumpta's sister, who was a Nashville Dominican, and Mother Angelica. They merged the two spiritualities--Franciscan and Dominican--hence the two-toned habit.

Blessings,
Gemma

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1052832' date='Aug 29 2006, 01:02 PM']

[/quote]
Sweet dreams.

[quote name='OLAM Dad' post='1052742' date='Aug 29 2006, 08:44 AM']
That's silly. Everybody knows that habits are supposed to be brown. Sheesh, what a dummy...
[/quote]

You know, it's funny though, because I have had people argue with me about the color of the PCPA habit. I mean it does look black in a lot of pictures, but c'mon. As if I don't know what I'm talking about. ;)

:lol: Funny story. Well I think it's funny. We'll see if you do. A guy friend I went to school with was always giving me advice about what clothes I should wear. (He's really into Abercrombie and he thinks that I have no fashion sense.)

So the day he signed my yearbook, I happened to be wearing a white skirt, brown shirt and black shoes (and I looked great, of course). So he wrote, "This summer and for the rest of your life watch the fashoin sense! Brown, white and black don't go!"

And I thought he was talking about the PCPA habit, because by this time I was pretty sure that was where God was calling me, so I was like, "Wait... how did you know that was the color of their habit?"

And he says, "I don't know what you're talking about. But I do know that that outfit is awful. I'm embarrassed to see you like that! And I hope you realize that if you become a nun and wear that thing every day... well... you know."

:rolling:

Edited by zunshynn

AlterDominicus

I honestly like the FSGM's habit, and I'd be happy to turn that into a Dominican Habit, white...I mean every Dominican community (and others well) Have to have a difference in some form or way, not just communities names. :lol_roll:

Anyway....I'm just glad that the habit hasnt been fully "hijacked" from some communities because I absolutely refuse to enter a community who does not wear a habit, and like a said in a different post I have a mentor in parish who is a sister, but doesnt wear the habit, they are sitll wonderful people, but its not the same. :lol:

The Sisters of Life and the Sister Servants of the Eternal Word both have habits based on the Nashville Dominicans'--but they are not themselves Dominican. Even the SSEW who take St. Dominic as one of their patrons are not Dominican.

A Sister of Life told me that when they were being founded, the ladies came up with an idea for their habit that must have been pretty brown and shapeless. Cardinal O'Connor said no way Jose, and they ended up with the beautiful ones they have now.

[quote name='Gemma' post='1052843' date='Aug 29 2006, 01:21 PM']
I'm not sure why Cardinal O'Connor chose that habit for the Sisters of Life--more than likely shown to him in prayer--but it's BASED on that of the Nashville Dominicans. Mother Assumpta did go up there to help form the community and spoke with the aspirants about community life. As far as I know, they follow the Rule of St. Augustine, with the constitutions given them by the Cardinal-founder.

The SSEW were co-founded by Mother Assumpta's sister, who was a Nashville Dominican, and Mother Angelica. They merged the two spiritualities--Franciscan and Dominican--hence the two-toned habit.

Blessings,
Gemma
[/quote]

YUP, MOTHER GABRIEL AND MOTHER ASSUMPTA ARE BLOOD SISTERS!!! I SAW PIC OF THEM ALOT IN THE ALBUMS THAT ARE LAYED ON THE TABLES ON THE RETREAT SIDE. SSEW WAY OF LIFE IS SO WONDERFUL AND I LOVE IT DEARLY!!! WE WEAR THE DOMINICAN HABIT, AND 15 DECADE ROSARY TO SYMBOLIZE OVER DOMINICAN SPIRITUALITY AND THE BROWN, SCAPULAR, VIEL AND CAPE AND CORD WITH 3 KNOTS TO SYMBOLIZE OUR FRANCISCAN SPIRITUALITY. WE GO BY THE RULE OF ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI, ALONG WITH ST DOMINIC AS OUR PAITRON SAINT!

[quote name='TheresaMF' post='1052975' date='Aug 29 2006, 03:54 PM']
the Sister Servants of the Eternal Word both have habits based on the Nashville Dominicans'--but they are not themselves Dominican. Even the SSEW who take St. Dominic as one of their patrons are not Dominican.

[/quote]

MOTHER GABRIEL OUT OF OBEDIENCE CAME FROM THE NASHVILLE DOMINICANS! SHE WAS ASKED BY HER SISTERS TO FOUND OUR COMMUNITY! WE ARE DOMINICAN AND FRANCISCAN AT THE SAME TIME! WE COMBINE THE SPIRITUALITY TOGETHER AS ONE. YES WE DO GO BY THE RULE OF ST. FRANCIS AND AS ST DOMINIC AS ONE OF OUR PATRON SAINTS. WE STILL CONSIDER OURSELVES DOMINICAN AND FRANCISCAN AT THE SAME TIME!

:ohno: :ohno: :ohno: :ohno: I AM VERY PROTECTIVE OF MY SISTERS DEARLY. I DON'T WANT ANY INFORMATION ON HERE THAT IS NOT TRUE. I HAVE LIVED WITH THEM FOR ALMOST 2 WEEKS OFF AND ON, I HAVE KNOWN THEM LONG ENOUGH TO KNOW OUR WAY OF LIFE! EVEN THOUGH I AM NOT THERE WITH THEM RIGHT NOW AT THIS MOMENT.....THEY ARE STILL MY FAMILY AND CASA MARIA IS MY HOME!!!

Sixtina... do you think you could take your caps lock off? it makes it hard to read, especially when you write a lot. :)

Anyway, I don't think Theresa meant to offend you. I think she just meant that the SSEW are not officially a part of the Order of Preachers... because certainly no one is denying that their spirituality is Dominican/Franciscan.

Edited by zunshynn

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1053388' date='Aug 30 2006, 12:10 AM']
Sixtina... do you think you could take your caps lock off? it makes it hard to read, especially when you write a lot. :)

Anyway, I don't think Theresa meant to offend you. I think she just meant that the SSEW are not officially a part of the Order of Preachers... because certainly no one is denying that their spirituality is Dominican/Franciscan.
[/quote]

okay the caps are off......sry i was posting on my space again!!! i think she should have said that in a different way, instead of the way she did. i don't know, it could be me, mainly because i am tired and i can't see straight at this moment.....no i am not drunk!!! the sisters are my family and i love them dearly! times i wish they would realize how much i love them..........i am even going to magdalen for them, not me!!! again i am tired!!! sleep sounds good........................ :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

+

It might be helpful for us all to remember this advice (spoken by one of my philosophy professors about using the forum for our class):

"Only a fool takes offense where none is intended."

Obviously, this doesn't apply literally, in every situation, but my oh my, how it could help us all in our efforts at charity!

In the Hearts of Jesus and Mary!

brandelynmarie

zunshynn....that story was tooo funny! :lol_roll: Do you still talk to this guy friend? If you do, I wonder what he thinks now!

I'm sorry, Sixtina, I didn't mean to offend you! :( As Zabbazoey said, I just meant that the SSEW aren't part of the Order of Preachers although they do share St. Dominic's wonderful charism. :) I visited them several times during my discernment, and they certainly are awesome! :clap: :clapping: