An Old School Catholic Message Board

Remembering A Modern Day Saint.

Tony

I do not think that the cause for canonization is easy to obtain, and does require at least 2 fully documented miracles. And I do believe it is very, very costly.
This woman sounds like she is an inspiration to you. It is not necessary for her to be a saint for you to admire her and want to emulate her positive atributes.

• 11 months later...

[quote name='MorphRC' date='11 September 2004 - 11:04 AM' timestamp='1094922291' post='349732']
:huh: Your hearts in the right place Tony. But seriously, theres a lot better people in this world, and in the after-life, more deserving of Canonization.
[/quote]

St Therese's sisters said the same thing about her. I'm glad the Church ignored it. People aren't canonized because they "deserve" it, but for the edification of those still living.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Canonization is an involved process that requires someone to start a 'cause' for a saint. The Vatican doesn't pick people to canonize; the people do, and appeal to the Vatican to confirm it. IF you feel strongly that someone should be raised to the honor of the altar, then you should probably talk to a priest about what would be involved in opening a cause. (Among other things, you will need a copy of everything the person ever wrote.) There will be someone 'spearheading' the cause to get it through the process. The miracles are the tail end of the process.

One reason many of our canonized saints are members of religious orders (not laity) is because religious orders are often more willing to devote the time and effort (not to mention resources) necessary to see the process through. Many, many causes are never canonized.

That being said, it's perfectly natural to treat dead members of your family as saints you can pray with from time to time. No need to limit yourself to the (very short list) of 'official' saints. So, by all means, claim a patron from the communion of saints as you will.

Here's the letter her Mom wrote shortly after losing her:

[quote]Date: 9/14/01 11:28 AM
The last few days have been tragic, not only for our country but most directly for the families that lost loved ones during the terrorist attacks of September 11. My daughter Deora was a passenger on United Flight 93 from Newark to San Francisco. She was returning home after visiting friends in New York to continue her education at Santa Clara University in Santa Clara where she was a junior.
[url="http://www.flight93memorialsfb.com/Heros-Of-Flight-93/pages/Deora-Bodley_jpg.htm"][img]http://www.flight93memorialsfb.com/Heros-Of-Flight-93/images/Deora-Bodley_jpg.jpg[/img][/url]
[url="http://www.flight93memorialsfb.com/Heros-Of-Flight-93/pages/Deora-Bodley_jpg.htm"][color="#e08105"]Deora[/color][/url] was a bright light. She was a gifted student, a wonderful friend, a kind and generous person beyond description. Where ever she went her light shined brightly leaving behind people who were empowered by who she was being. She impacted her friends. She impacted her schools. She impacted the animals at the Helen Woodward Center and the San Diego Zoo where she was a volunteer. Everywhere she went she left the world shining brightly.

As a mother, I will miss her terribly. She was my baby. My baby is gone. As an American, however, I am absolutely unwilling for her death to go unanswered. This was a young, vibrant woman who loved this country more than anyone knew. She loved her freedom. She was fiercely independent; a leader. She was the future of this country.

So here’s my stand. Let this passing be the start of a new conversation that has this world work for everyone. Let us start a new conversation that is all-inclusive, that leaves no one out. Let us start a conversation that is tolerant of all peoples beliefs, that includes everyone’s God, that includes everyone of color, and most of all, that provides a future for all mankind to live in harmony and respect.
My daughter made a difference everywhere she went. Let this then be our call: To live our lives in such a way that makes the biggest difference possible in the lives or our fellow man, with no one left out. No one! Let her light shine brightly for all people for all time!

Debby
[/quote]

Edited by MithLuin

It would be wonderful to have a saint involved in the horror of 9/11 - it will be a day that will ever live in history, continually universally recalled and never forgotten. So much outstanding heroism, so much suffering.

Undoubtedly amongst our known and canonized saints there may be many unknown and uncanonized that may have been greater souls - The Lord brings to the attention of The Church to raise to the altars those whom His Will dictates for the good of The Universal Church. Heaven will be a stunning place! In her lifetime in the Monastery of Lisieux, St. Therese was known amongst her sisters as a good nun but nothing extra ordinary. Nothing outstanding. Rather, we now know, she lived the very ordinary in a very extra ordinary and hidden way and is now a saint and Doctor of The Church - and The Lord wanted her universally known and as a great saint of the very ordinary lived in an extra ordinary way known as "The Little Way of St Therese".

What a beautiful and moving letter from the mother of Deora - no wonder Deora was an outstanding person of note. Qutoing Debby, Deora's mother: "So here’s my stand. Let this passing be the start of a new conversation that has this world work for everyone. Let us start a new conversation that is all-inclusive, that leaves no one out. Let us start a conversation that is tolerant of all peoples beliefs, that includes everyone’s God, that includes everyone of color, and most of all, that provides a future for all mankind to live in harmony and respect.
My daughter made a difference everywhere she went. Let this then be our call: To live our lives in such a way that makes the biggest difference possible in the lives or our fellow man, with no one left out. No one! Let her light shine brightly for all people for all time!"

Amen! Amen!

Thank you for quoting Deora's letter, MithLuin.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
brandelynmarie

I ask for the intercession of the young nun who is my avatar, Sr. Magdalena of the Eucharist. :saint2: She died fairly recently & lived the Gospel simply & beautifully. I will add Deora, too. :) I always think of all the uncanonized saints in Heaven & the holy souls in Purgatory... :blush:

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
On September 11, 2014 at 2:38 AM, brandelynmarie said:

I ask for the intercession of the young nun who is my avatar, Sr. Magdalena of the Eucharist. :saint2: She died fairly recently & lived the Gospel simply & beautifully. I will add Deora, too. :) I always think of all the uncanonized saints in Heaven & the holy souls in Purgatory... :blush:

Who is the Nun in your avatar?  If you tell us about her, maybe more will join you in asking her intercession.