An Old School Catholic Message Board

Carthusian Nuns

Chiquitunga

[quote name='HisChild' post='1153694' date='Jan 1 2007, 03:14 PM']
I'm wondering, since you are wondering about the Carthusians. . .what about the Cistercians?
[/quote] Yeah, actually [url="http://www.nunocist.org/"]this community[/url] in Prairie du Sac, WI, look really great. Cistercians are the reform of the Benedictines that have less silence than the Trappist reform. But that would be no problem, if it is truly the Lord's will. :j

ha, me and Emile James replied at the same time about the same Cistercian community. :j

Yes, I've seen a couple sites on Cistercians. . .there's even one here in AZ, although it's really south of me. They seem ok, although they allow themselves to wear more secular clothes while at work.

[quote name='HisChild' post='1153759' date='Jan 1 2007, 03:48 PM']
Yes, I've seen a couple sites on Cistercians. . .there's even one here in AZ, although it's really south of me. They seem ok, although they allow themselves to wear more secular clothes while at work.
[/quote]

Yeah, I've seen a few Trappist and Cistercian communities that wear secular clothes at different times - which I don't feel attracted to at all. But this one in Prairie du Sac looks so much different. And I believe they chant the whole Office in Latin ..

Edited by Margaret Clare

I may find myself going down to Sonoita to see what this group's about. . .even if just to take a weekend retreat. :detective:

(Although, while I myself am more attracted to wearing the habit at all times, I can see the benefit of wearing kerchiefs and secular clothes for outside work, to keep the habit tidy. . .that's practical!)

[quote name='HisChild' post='1153798' date='Jan 1 2007, 04:05 PM']
I may find myself going down to Sonoita to see what this group's about. . .even if just to take a weekend retreat. :detective: (Although, while I myself am more attracted to wearing the habit at all times, I can see the benefit of wearing kerchiefs and secular clothes for outside work, to keep the habit tidy. . .that's practical!)
[/quote]

That's true. :j

Here are a couple more pictures of the Carthusian Nuns. I believe these are from the monastery in Spain .. Santa María de Benifaçà

[center][img]http://www.angelfire.com/planet/morimond/charterhouse/images4/nun3.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.angelfire.com/planet/morimond/charterhouse/images4/nun2.jpg[/img][/center]

Okay, I just came to the conclusion on the original question I brought up in this thread. On this site: [url="http://www.angelfire.com/planet/morimond/charterhouse/"]http://www.angelfire.com/planet/morimond/charterhouse/[/url] there is an article about the nuns from the Catholic Encyclopedia. It says the nuns have recreation twice a day, communal meals daily, and do not live in hermitages.

I emailed the author of the site to ask about this, and here is his reply of a couple minutes ago:

[quote]Benedicite Margaret

The article sited from the Catholic Encyclopedia dates from 1910 and does reflect the Nuns' lifestyle at that time. That the nuns live in an identical manner as the monks, i.e., individual hermitages, is relatively new among the nuns. Historically, the nuns lived a more communal lifestyle until quite recently.

Ave Maria!
Marc[/quote]

I'm thinking the changes were made during the Second Vatican Council. I know now that the nuns live the same life as the monks, with recreation only on Sundays. You can see this clearly from their site. And they definitely live in hermitages like the monks.

That's really interesting how this is a more recent development .. I had no idea about this .. I think it's definitely a good thing. I wonder why they couldn't have the same way of life as the monks before .. The only difference I can think of now that still remains is that the nuns do not wear hairshirts, but I believe many of the Carthusian monks still do .. That's a good thing in my opinion - that the nuns don't have to wear hairshirts.

Edited by Margaret Clare

Okay, the author of this site sent me another message:

[quote]I have added a notation to the article on the Carthusian Nuns to reflect that, at the time the article was published, the article was true in its assessment of the nuns' way of life and that the nuns, at the present time, have adopted a lifestyle identical to that of the monks.

I believe the first house of nuns to "adopt" the more solitary way of life was della Trinita in Italy. The charterhouse of Notre Dame in France is a relatively new foundation.[/quote]

This is very interesting .. yeah the Charterhouse of the Trinity in Italy was founded in 1996, Notre Dame in 1978.

Here's a map with information on all the houses from the Slovenian site: [url="http://www.kartuzija-pleterje.si/ang/zemljevid.htm"]http://www.kartuzija-pleterje.si/ang/zemljevid.htm[/url]

I'm not sure when the Srs of Bethlehem adopted the way of life of the Carthusians, but they definitely have a similar schedule to the monks, only that they do not have the Office and meditation in the middle of the night, though the Carthusian Nuns do.

Edited by Margaret Clare

[quote name='Margaret Clare' post='1154214' date='Jan 1 2007, 08:58 PM']
Okay, the author of this site sent me another message:
This is very interesting .. yeah the Charterhouse of the Trinity in Italy was founded in 1996, Notre Dame in 1978.

Here's a map with information on all the houses from the Slovenian site: [url="http://www.kartuzija-pleterje.si/ang/zemljevid.htm"]http://www.kartuzija-pleterje.si/ang/zemljevid.htm[/url]

I'm not sure when the Srs of Bethlehem adopted the way of life of the Carthusians, but they definitely have a similar schedule to the monks, only that they do not have the Office and meditation in the middle of the night, though the Carthusian Nuns do.
[/quote]

Glory to Jesus Christ!
well if a Bethlehem Sister or Brother was called to rise in the middle of the night to pray an office, they could, with permission and guidance of superior/spiritual father.especially the ones who live a more eremitic life within the Community.
They practice a spirit more of that of the Desert Fathers /palestinian lauras, hence more alone time, , such as Matins/ Compline in Solitude at a time that each one is called to in cell., a desert day weekly,etc. There is, like the early Desert Lauras of the east, more flexibility. ( I speak of the Brothers)
This actually was a part of St Brunos foundational inspiration..from what i have read.
i once met a 'complete' hermit living alone in the south French Alps (Sisteron), and after he told me he used to be at the Grande Chartreuse, i asked why he left, he said" too much time together in the Church, always together" in his exaggerated French manner....so, if one thinks as a Carthusian is not spending enough time in solitude!!! he certainly found his vocation as a hermit in the mountains! :)
By the way has any9one seen 'Into Graet Silence"? the art film documentary on the Carthusians? i saw it In italy, but it only seems to stay in the Theatres in Toronto..never makes it out west here...

By his mercy, Emile-James

Edited by Emile James

[quote name='Margaret Clare' post='1154200' date='Jan 1 2007, 08:32 PM']
. . . The only difference I can think of now that still remains is that the nuns do not wear hairshirts, but I believe many of the Carthusian monks still do .. That's a good thing in my opinion - that the nuns don't have to wear hairshirts.
[/quote]

Now now. ..what's wrong with a little hair on your chest? :wacko:

[quote name='Emile James' post='1154246' date='Jan 1 2007, 09:39 PM']
By the way has any9one seen 'Into Graet Silence"? the art film documentary on the Carthusians? i saw it In italy, but it only seems to stay in the Theatres in Toronto..never makes it out west here...

By his mercy, Emile-James
[/quote]

I've heard all about it. . .but of course, it'll never make it to the US. >:( I'll wait until it is on DVD. . .hopefully it'll make it there!

[quote name='HisChild' post='1154264' date='Jan 1 2007, 09:51 PM']
Now now. ..what's wrong with a little hair on your chest? :wacko:
I've heard all about it. . .but of course, it'll never make it to the US. >:( I'll wait until it is on DVD. . .hopefully it'll make it there!
[/quote]
well it has been at some film festivals in the U.S.A, i am keeping track of the release companies, for each country., i do know it played for 2 weeks in New York City last spring.

"INTO GREAT SILENCE gathered attention in New York at the 35th New Directors/New Films Festival and in China at the 30th Hong Kong International Film Festival. In the coming days the film can be seen in California at the San Francisco Film Festival (up to May 4) and the Inspiration Film Festival in Santa Monica (April 28–30, 2006)."
"A U.S. distribution is not closed yet" says Thorsten Schaumann, Head of Bavaria Film International, "but we are in intense talks with various companies. This is not a normal film like a lot of other movies: Being presented, quickly sold, released and quickly forgotten again. It took 20 years to create the film and it needs to be treated with a lot of care. This is why we are taking our time to find the right partner."

have you seen the trailer or English website?
Blessings. Emile-James

passionheart

[quote name='HisChild' post='1154280' date='Jan 2 2007, 01:08 AM']
Yes, I've seen the trailer AND the website ;)
[/quote]

I saw the movie in the December. I thought it would be a private showing but there were a lot of people. The film is long (about 3 hrs) but I recommend the experience of seeing this movie.

Since I had a friend who was a Carthusian, it was wonderful to see the life he lived. Also, the filmaker's work showed the life of the Carthusians wonderfully. This is a vibrant community with young men in it.

I highly recommend the film. :clap:

passionheart

[quote name='HisChild' post='1154953' date='Jan 2 2007, 09:34 PM']
I'd like to see it, of course! Eventually it'll make it to DVD.
[/quote]

In regards to this film, you have a better experience of the film if you see in the theatres. I don't know if you can drawn into the community, the landscape and the silence through the DVD.

Now of course, if you aren't area that will show the movie by all means go DVD but in truth it would be better on the big screen.