An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should Postulant's Outfits Be More Aesthetically Pleasing?

Veritas

More Aesthetic Postulant Outfits?  

171 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='shortnun' post='1065836' date='Sep 18 2006, 11:00 AM']
A slightly off topic question for Sister.... is it just "sisterly culture" (ie the norm) for hands to be kept under the scapular? Or, is there some deep theological reasoning? :detective: I've often wondered why sisters' hands are always under their scapulars, and now I can finally ask why!

Thanks for humoring me! ^_^
[/quote]

Keeping hands under the scapular fosters a recollected way of being and acting especially during community exercises. It's also great to know what to do with your hands! On a practical note, keeping your hands under the scapular keeps the scapular from getting wrinkled. You can also fiddle your thumbs when you find a lecture or homily boring....and no one knows! :blush:

the lords sheep

To me it doesn't really matter. As long as it can be worked and prayed in and is appropriate, what difference does it make if it looks really pretty. If I ever become a postulant, I pray that I spend more time worrying about making my soul beautiful than my outfit :)
On a side note, I agree that a veil would be nice, just because then you don't have to fix your hair in the morning (and goodness knows, I can use any time I get in the morning... I'm not exactly what you'd call a morning person :P:

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' post='1066259' date='Sep 18 2006, 08:31 PM']
Keeping hands under the scapular fosters a recollected way of being and acting especially during community exercises. It's also great to know what to do with your hands! On a practical note, keeping your hands under the scapular keeps the scapular from getting wrinkled. You can also fiddle your thumbs when you find a lecture or homily boring....and no one knows! :blush:
[/quote]

And the mother superior in "Agnes of God" told the investigator "You could hide a machine gun under here!"

Blessings,
Gemma

Laudate_Dominum

at least most postulant outfits aren't as bad as the uniforms in star trek TOS. :idontknow:

oh, that reminds me of the star trek trivia game: [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=57612&hl="]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?s...c=57612&hl=[/url]

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' post='1068474' date='Sep 20 2006, 09:19 PM']
at least most postulant outfits aren't as bad as the uniforms in star trek TOS. :idontknow:

oh, that reminds me of the star trek trivia game: [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=57612&hl="]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?s...c=57612&hl=[/url]
[/quote]
:offtopic:

HeavenlyCalling

Even if the postulents don't wear a veil, do they still wear wear one in the chapel? ( I just watched the Nashville Dominicans movie and they did, I was wondering if that was the norm) Also, if you are visiting an Order, should you wear one? ( I have one, so I was wondering if it was appropriate)Pax,
Lily

The Carmelite postulants in Valparaiso do.

[mod]Please do not link to apparition sites that are specifically condemned by the Church[/mod]

Scroll down. You'll see Sister Therese of Merciful Love, OCD as a postulant for her entrance picture.

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' post='1065812' date='Sep 18 2006, 09:52 AM']I know several traditional communites and none wear a cape; most wear a jumper...oops. SLEEVELESS DRESS for our friendly Brits....the only group I know of is the CMRI's and they aren't in the Church.

I like the cape myself but as I look back on all the stuff I did as a postulant I think it would have been in the way most of the time. I probably would've gotten it stuck in the offset press! :shock:

God bless you!
SMC[/quote]

[quote name='HeavenlyCalling' post='1069336' date='Sep 21 2006, 12:13 PM']
Even if the postulents don't wear a veil, do they still wear wear one in the chapel? ( I just watched the Nashville Dominicans movie and they did, I was wondering if that was the norm) Also, if you are visiting an Order, should you wear one? ( I have one, so I was wondering if it was appropriate)Pax,
Lily
[/quote]

I'd say if you normally wear a veil, than wear it, other wise, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I was a little worried that I would stick out like a sore thumb not wearing a veil at OLAM, and I almost bought one before I went just because of that, but then our local Catholic store didn't have any, and I decided against it. I decided I should just be myself. (I opted against wearing a chapel veil awhile ago because I didn't want to be attracting more attention to myself than I knew I already did. Although, I must say, I really love seeing women wear chapel veils, its such a beautiful sign.)

Of course, some places, especially that have the Tridentine Mass, may require a chapel veil... but I'm sure they'd let you know about that. And I know Lockport has a special veil for aspirants, and in cases like that, obviously it'd be taken care of!

As for orders that don't have a veil for postulants, I don't know what the norm for them in church is...

As long as we're talking about postulant outfits I'll point out TheresaMF (Ida)'s post about her [url="http://www.theresamf.blogspot.com/2006_09_01_theresamf_archive.html#115880184706303948"]postulant dress[/url]. From that post it seems like she'll be wearing the old school postulant clothes, complete with cape and swinging rosary!

[quote name='brendan1104' post='1069356' date='Sep 21 2006, 12:36 PM']
The Nashville Dominican postulants wear a chapel veil, but those with SSME don't.
[/quote]

+

Some SMME postulants DO wear the chapel veil :) While all Nashville postulants wear the veil. I'm guessing it's optional with SMME, but required with Nashville? I never talked with S. Joseph Andrew or S. Mary Emily about it myself...

My favorite postulant outfit is the one worn by the Discalced Carmelites in Buffalo, NY.

They have a brown dress with a cape top and a black leather belt (but not with a Rosary yet). The dress is not as long as a habit but still long. I think it's good for postulants to have a cape top to get used to putting their hands under their habits. Also for the refectory and for work, with the kind of dress they have, they get used to folding up their sleeves and pining them as the others sisters with habits must.

They have a long simple white veil that covers all the hair. I like the idea of having postulants wear a veil. They can immediately have the freedom of not having to do their hair in the morning to focus on the spiritual, and it looks a lot nicer. I also like how it is long, as it looks more elegant. And it thinks it's nice that their veils are white.

Then they wear long black socks and simple tie up black shoes.

I agree that there's merit in having an ugly postulant dress, so the day of entrance into the novitiate is more eagerly awaited. But still, the full Carmelite habit with the scapular is much greater than this dress.

I thinks it's definitely good for the postulants to have some kind of uniform, that's not too ugly, and with a simple veil.

My favorite postulant outfit is the one worn by the Discalced Carmelites in Buffalo, NY.

They have a brown dress with a cape top and a black leather belt (but not with a Rosary). The dress is not as long as a habit but still pretty long. I think it's good for postulants to have a cape top to get used to putting their hands under their habits. Also for the refectory and for work, with the kind of dress they have, they get used to folding up their sleeves and pining them as the others sisters with habits must.

They have a long simple white veil that covers all the hair. I like the idea of having postulants wear a veil. They can immediately have the freedom of not having to do their hair in the morning to focus on the spiritual, and it looks a lot nicer. I also like how it is long, as it looks more elegant. And it thinks it's nice that their veils are white.

Then they wear long black socks and simple tie up black shoes.

I agree that there's merit in having an ugly postulant dress, so the day of entrance into the novitiate is more eagerly awaited. But still, the full Carmelite habit with the scapular is much greater than this dress.

I thinks it's definitely good for the postulants to have some kind of uniform, that's not too ugly and with a simple veil.

Edited by Margaret Clare

franciscanheart

i really don't think it's a huge deal as long as they are able to be worked in. religious do not enter communities hoping for something aesthetically pleasing... or at least i would hope not.

the postulant pictured [url="http://franciscansisterscfr.com/postulant.htm"]here[/url] is a great example of something workable but not necessarily pleasing to the eye. (it is very pleasing to me but that is because i hope to someday wear it.. God's will be done.)

i like that this postulant does not wear the veil for the reason mentioned (somewhere) above. i like that the women are veiled when they become novices. it's another outward sign of an inner growth.