An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should Postulant's Outfits Be More Aesthetically Pleasing?

Veritas

More Aesthetic Postulant Outfits?  

171 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Veritas' post='1164331' date='Jan 14 2007, 11:21 AM']
+

I think these are my favorite postulant outfits, too! I wonder if there will be CFR sisters in Italy someday/soon...

[/quote]
There is in Italy,a basically identical Community of Little Sisters of the Renewal. also within Capuchin tradition, based in Sicily.
:0 they do alot of parish missions and youth things, and are quite contemplative..poor

Edited by Era Might

• 6 months later...

Clothing speaks far louder than some words, and it usually speaks more to those who see the wearer in the garment than it speaks to the wearer herself. A garment that is clearly unattractive to the eyes does not say anything nice to the viewer. With careful consideration, a garment can be designed to speak of modesty, humility, and virtue, but also denote a sisterly or motherly relationship to the viewer. Nice modest clothing can be very calming to the mind.

[quote name='abercius24' post='1358862' date='Aug 14 2007, 06:24 PM']Clothing speaks far louder than some words, and it usually speaks more to those who see the wearer in the garment than it speaks to the wearer herself. A garment that is clearly unattractive to the eyes does not say anything nice to the viewer. With careful consideration, a garment can be designed to speak of modesty, humility, and virtue, but also denote a sisterly or motherly relationship to the viewer. Nice modest clothing can be very calming to the mind.[/quote]

I don't necessarily know if this is completely related to the above comment or not, but a friend of mine is with the DSMMEs (now a novice) and she said that when she was travelling home on her home visit (near the end of her postulant year) she said that LOADS of people (in the airport, etc) came to talk to her (She was wearing her postulant outfit, of course). She said that if that many people came to talk to her now, she couldn't imagine how many people would talk to her travelling in full habit! She said a lot of people told her how encouraged they were to see a young woman seeking God's will. Even as a postulant, she was a shining witness to those around her (not that I'm surprised!)

Blessings,
J

HeavenlyCalling

I also like the CFR sisters outfit. It is long and seems very practical, but it is also very different from their habit.

I do think the outfit should have a religious connotation and shy away from being of a "street" or "business casual" style.

[quote name='abercius24' post='1359846' date='Aug 15 2007, 11:49 PM']I do think the outfit should have a religious connotation and shy away from being of a "street" or "business casual" style.[/quote]

All Canon Law states is that they are not to be religious habits. That is for after investiture, not during candidacy/postulancy.

Just out of curiosity, what do you suggest for men if not something like "business casual"?

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='Totus Tuus' post='1362168' date='Aug 19 2007, 02:22 AM']All Canon Law states is that they are not to be religious habits. That is for after investiture, not during candidacy/postulancy.

Just out of curiosity, what do you suggest for men if not something like "business casual"?[/quote]

Pink frillies. :yes: Honestly, I wouldn't know. (I'd write an essay on the differences between men's and women's habits if I didn't need to be out of the house ten minutes ago.)

I think people really should remember that they aren't supposed to be religious habits... the pity is that lots of "habits" these days look so much like normal dresses that a postulant of a more conservative community will look more like a religious than a professed of a very-much-adapted-habit community!

[quote name='Totus Tuus' post='1362168' date='Aug 18 2007, 07:22 PM']All Canon Law states is that they are not to be religious habits. That is for after investiture, not during candidacy/postulancy.

Just out of curiosity, what do you suggest for men if not something like "business casual"?[/quote]

One question I'd like to ask is whether or not the term "habit" refers directly to the garments placed over the shoulders (which is the strict, traditional defintion) or whether it is referring to the colloquial understanding of a habit (the full religious gown). I have a feeling Canon Law uses the first definition. If so, I believe an attractive robe with no "frills" should be sufficient. What makes a robe look religious is all the extras, like a stole, a cincture, a crucifix, Christian symbology, liturgical colors, etc. The robe should avoid these to follow Canon Law. A nice material with the right cut should be all the robe needs to be attractive.

If Canon Law goes with the colloquial definition, I would maybe go with something of a "robe-like" look that is still pants and shirt. Despite the fact that a postulate isn't meant to directly represent the Church with the look of a religious, a somewhat "religious" look will subconsciously contribute to the postulate adopting the attitudes that will prepare him/her for the religious like. It would lead others around them to be reminded of the postulate's calling, thereby helping them to keep the postulate focused on living a holy life.

Edited by abercius24

[quote name='abercius24' post='1370345' date='Aug 25 2007, 04:59 AM']One question I'd like to ask is whether or not the term "habit" refers directly to the garments placed over the shoulders (which is the strict, traditional defintion) or whether it is referring to the colloquial understanding of a habit (the full religious gown). I have a feeling Canon Law uses the first definition. If so, I believe an attractive robe with no "frills" should be sufficient. What makes a robe look religious is all the extras, like a stole, a cincture, a crucifix, Christian symbology, liturgical colors, etc. The robe should avoid these to follow Canon Law. A nice material with the right cut should be all the robe needs to be attractive.

If Canon Law goes with the colloquial definition, I would maybe go with something of a "robe-like" look that is still pants and shirt. Despite the fact that a postulate isn't meant to directly represent the Church with the look of a religious, a somewhat "religious" look will subconsciously contribute to the postulate adopting the attitudes that will prepare him/her for the religious like. It would lead others around them to be reminded of the postulate's calling, thereby helping them to keep the postulate focused on living a holy life.[/quote]

I'm not qualified to go into all of these definitions, but it is my understanding that what is meant by the postulant "not wearing the habit of the order" is that the postulant must appear to be different from the rest of the community, and should not be confused with an invested religious (meaning, novices and up).

photosynthesis

Yes, it's true that many postulants' outfits are ominously dorky. One of my best friends from college joined the Nashville Dominicans and she could not WAIT to wear the postulants' habit, saying that "it's the Catholic school uniform I never had!" Postulancy is a time to discern whether you should formally join a community and make vows of poverty, chastity and obedience. Compared to the rigors of authentic religious life, spending a year wearing a dorky uniform should not be a big deal if your soul is ready to leave the world for Christ.

I was told that the seminarians in my archdiocese are required to be clean-cut and clean-shaven at all times. That means no hair above the ears and no beards or mustaches. When my future husband was discerning the priesthood, he didn't like that idea because at the time, he had long hair and a beard. However, a life of obedience means you have to do as your told even when it doesn't make sense. Developing this virtue is key during years of religious formation.