An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should Postulant's Outfits Be More Aesthetically Pleasing?

Veritas

More Aesthetic Postulant Outfits?  

171 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='mantellata' timestamp='1346513312' post='2477151']
I agree about the Nashville and DSMME postulant outfits. (I think they are quite nice and functional). On a level of personal aesthetics (which really doesn't make a difference when you are wearing it only for one year) I prefer the look of a skirt and blouse with a vest to a jumper. The jumper very often makes the wearer look like they are 12. The plus of a jumper is that it is less likely to be confused with an airline stewardess when one is out and about!
[/quote]

I love jumpers. I have a denim one that I often wear to Mass. I don't mind the skirt and vest but I am glad that my Sisters have the jumper. :)

^^^ truly a situation of personal taste! :)

The best part about either is that it is a lovely outward sign of the commitment one hopes to one day make! Also - being that it is simple and the same as everybody else - it helps work on that whole womanly desire to "stand out" with our attire. Happily claimed for the Lord, there is no need to impress!

[quote name='mantellata' timestamp='1346522522' post='2477203']
^^^ truly a situation of personal taste! :)

The best part about either is that it is a lovely outward sign of the commitment one hopes to one day make! Also - being that it is simple and the same as everybody else - it helps work on that whole womanly desire to "stand out" with our attire. Happily claimed for the Lord, there is no need to impress!
[/quote]

Absolutely! Like I said last night, I wish the postulants for my community wore a veil but it's not a make or break situation so I love them nonetheless. I'm just really happy to even be at the point in my discernment with my community. I'm praying I hear something very soon. :)

Prayers that they get back to you quickly -- waiting for acceptance is such a hard thing... worse than interviewing for job positions IMO.

[quote name='mantellata' timestamp='1346541029' post='2477341']
Prayers that they get back to you quickly -- waiting for acceptance is such a hard thing... worse than interviewing for job positions IMO.
[/quote]

Thanks! My mom got after me tonight for mentioning it because she thinks that even talking about it is not letting go of it and letting God take care of it. I've rarely mentioned it! I told her that it was OK to think and talk about it as long as I'm not obsessing or driving myself crazy... :blush:

dominicansoul

to respond to the original post...

I think postulant uniforms should be the ugliest things you've ever worn, because it makes you really really really long for the habit :P

AND

You can use the wearing of the ugly thing as a source of many "offering ups" for the more struggling sisters in your group.

AND

Its a small price to pay when you will be wearing the most beautiful "uniform" you will have ever worn for the rest of your life! (the habit!)

My three cents worth.............

In my time in community we went from having Postulants wear a very heavy, ugly sort of fit-you-all version of the habit (except it wasn't the habit, it was just a bulky black pinafore dress over a white blouse with a cape). The Possies wore a black lace mantilla to chapel and we had to put our cape on whenever we were not in the noviciate common room, but take it off for work. It was impractical and gave one every reason/opportunity to 'offer up' as well as LONG for the holy habit.

Then we went to grey habits and the Postulants wore a grey skirt and white blouse with a grey cardigan and a white lace mantilla for chapel.

Then it was proposed we all get an allowance and buy 'something grey' with it, and the Possies came ( few of them and fewer ) in their own clothing and wore nothing on their head in chapel.
Now, this is a fully enclosed community I am talking about.
I left before I had to buy anything grey( via the over worked externs).

I like that the outfit for postulants is in the same or a similar colour as the sisters, that they are distinctive and most definitely a Postulant and not a girl guide or school girl, so a medal, or a distinctive embroidery....but not a veil. I think when we go into the Holy Habit and the true significance of the veil, that is for Clothing, when we become a nun or a sister as the case may be.

Katiebobatie94

well i know the daughters of st paul have a formal "uniform" that they where to professions, and when they do media shows and whatnot, but normally they wear like a white/blue/grey/black polo or button down shirt with a navy blue skirt and sometimes like a sweater vest. and they also wear that through their novitiate too. they don't recieve a veil or habit until they make their first profession of vows.

I haven't seen any orders that wear any sort of veil as part of their postulant outfit. At least not outside the chapel. I know the Carmelites of the Most Sacred Heart of Los Angeles have a chapel veil for their postulants but they don't wear it otherwise. Actually I hadn't even considered wearing a veil as a postulant only because I hadnt seen it done but I would like that I just feel like the hair needs to be covered. I wore a chapel veil for a short time but I dont anymore partly because the pastor at my parish asked me not to. I keep trying to find ways ways to cover my hair when I go out. I.E. hats, bandannas etc.
As far as the postulant outfits I like the one worn by the Carmelite Sisters of the Most Sacred Heart is beautiful. It's just a skirt and vest with a white blouse underneath and when they become novices they just add a white veil. They also wear a small gold pin with the shield of their community.

Most Carmels I know of have a simple veil for their postulants. I've only seen a handful that don't. My favorite is this one :heart:

[img]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-lABHR20abt8/T40pmRcSYuI/AAAAAAAABFk/hvk3mmnWuac/s512/postulante.jpg[/img]

ToJesusMyHeart

[quote name='Mary's Child' timestamp='1346777622' post='2478292']
I wore a chapel veil for a short time but I dont anymore partly because[b] the pastor at my parish asked me not to.[/b] I keep trying to find ways ways to cover my hair when I go out. I.E. hats, bandannas etc.
[/quote]

:lame:

The SMMCs weare a chapel veil in the first part of the postulant year (as candidates) and then when they become postulants they get a small veil.

[quote name='Mary's Child' timestamp='1346777622' post='2478292']
I wore a chapel veil for a short time but I dont anymore partly because the pastor at my parish asked me not to.[/quote]

:pinch: That's terrible! I have never heard of that happening before. Before I was Catholic, a Protestant woman at my Bible church wore all sorts of interesting headcoverings-little hats, small birdcage veils (?), etc. I hope you can find a way to keep covering if you feel convicted. I myself don't, but I hate the thought of someone who desires to cover being told not to-especially by their priest!

Edit: I have heard of women being told not to cover by other women who think veiling represents women oppression or a rejection of Vatican-II, which of course is completely false. Like I said, never heard of this disapproval coming from a priest before.

Edited by emmaberry

ToJesusMyHeart

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1346788691' post='2478372']
:pinch: That's terrible! I have never heard of that happening before. I hope you can find a way to keep covering if you feel convicted. I myself don't, but I hate the thought of someone who desires to cover being told not to-especially by their priest!
[/quote]

Agreed. If a priest said this to me, I'd be extremely put off. It's not his business how you express your devotion to our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament. There is nothing wrong with wearing a mantilla.