An Old School Catholic Message Board

Aloysius

Theologian in Training

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1111199' date='Nov 4 2006, 07:39 PM']
so Lake Logai was a really good episode; who saw it?
[/quote]

I am now fully caught up on all of Avatar. This has got to be, hands down, one of my favorite shows right now. It is just amazing and really powerful.

Anyway, I did see Lake Logai and I am happy that Appa has finally found his way back with the rest of the crew. I am also beginning to think that Zuko may wind up helping the Avatar when he finally faces the fire lord. Also, my favorite character is definitely Toph, she is incredibly funny and an incredibly powerful earth bender.

Can't wait for the next episode...

Theologian in Training

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1083638' date='Oct 4 2006, 07:11 AM']
haha yeah, I'm not a fan of anime either but this show is just so good it transcends whether it should be fanned by anime-ers...

anyway, I agree book 1 seemed better... but I think that might just be (in my mind) because I see it all as closed up and all the stuff in book 2 haven't closed up yet so you're not sure where they're goin. Ba Sing Sei is so totally creepy and Appa better get returned soon so the kids aren't so tied down by Ba Sing Sei and all.

sokka- yeah... though I don't think he'll ever top the cactus juice/giant mushroom stuff; that was priceless.

but I really have no idea where they're going with Ba Sing Sei... and what's up with the timeline at this point? are they in summer yet? the comet's supposed to come at the end of summer... that's confusing. but yeah... with Ba Sing Sei being so creepy and them being unable to do anything about the Earth Kingdom's army it feels like the whole getting info on the solar eclips thing will be for nothing...

there's gotta be some climax in Ba Sing Sei like there was in the North Pole.

oh... and Iroh will teach aang firebending I bet, but that's a whole book away!
[/quote]

I forgot, Aang still has to learn firebending. I think you are right, it will either be Iroh or Zuko, I would not discount him just yet, especially given the fact that he left the Blue Spirit behind and seems to want to live a life that is his "own destiny" rather than the one he keeps pursuing. In fact, I seem to recall when Aang saved him as the Blue Spirit, and he woke up in the middle of the woods, and Aang explained to him how he had had a friend who was a firebender, and then asked Zuko if circumstances were different, if they would have been friends. But, you are right, it is a whole book away.

Edited by Theologian in Training

yes. I think Lake Lokai was hands down the best episode of Book 2.

the only reason I don't think Zuko will teach aang is because Zuko is not yet a master. I could see Zuko and Aang both becoming masters under Iroh's teaching; maybe Zuko will become a master first and teach aang the rest of the way (if something happens so that Aang can no longer learn from Iroh)

I think there is potential for a powerful message that now that Zuko has given up on his previous ambitions, he may actually end up in the end gaining more than he ever hoped for. The Avatar is not going to dessimate the firenation, he is going to bring balance... and the new firenation will need a new firelord... perhaps now that Zuko humbles himself and resigns to a simple life, he may be exalted ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Theologian in Training

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1129632' date='Nov 28 2006, 02:56 AM']
season finale is coming up... :woot: it looks like it's gonna be real good.
[/quote]

I can't wait!!!!

oh man... aang is asked to let go of katara... :sadder: there will probably be a great lesson in here... a Spiderman 1 moment... but I really like aang and katara, and kinda hope there will be a Spiderman 2 moment in the end.

[url="http://youtube.com/watch?v=Wyvl-H9CapI"]http://youtube.com/watch?v=Wyvl-H9CapI[/url]

Theologian in Training

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1131089' date='Nov 29 2006, 06:06 PM']
oh man... aang is asked to let go of katara... :sadder: there will probably be a great lesson in here... a Spiderman 1 moment... but I really like aang and katara, and kinda hope there will be a Spiderman 2 moment in the end.

[url="http://youtube.com/watch?v=Wyvl-H9CapI"]http://youtube.com/watch?v=Wyvl-H9CapI[/url]
[/quote]

I know, but it sounds like one of those you must let go of the one you love to pursue a greater vocation. Kind of sounds like the priesthood ;)

It looks awesome though, they showed zuko and his sister and his uncle fighting, and Aang
in his Avatar state a few times...why can't it be 8:00PM Friday already!!!

I just followed the link (I watch Nickelodeon anyway, so got to see the trailer) and I cannot believe someone recorded the trailer from their TV, that is funny...

Edited by Theologian in Training

I thought it was really good, actually. I can see what you mean, but it couldn't come to a real good climax here on some of the things we might have wanted it to give closure to and still have had a good third season. it set up the third season to be real great the way it ended here. now the third season will have what made the first season good-- a conflicted bad guy. zuko's betrayal was so unexpected. I think he's still not sure about his decision being right. I think that'll be explored next season the whole way through and the final finale will have him finally turn.

so as for the ending, I thought it was a perfect end to season 2. the bad guys won, almost all is lost; season three will be amazing.

as for the plot, I also thought it was great. the anguish of aang over letting go of katara, he becomes willing to let go of her and when he is willing to do that, only then can he have her again. the whole episode was amazing, in my humble opinion.

Theologian in Training

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1133463' date='Dec 2 2006, 01:11 AM']
I thought it was really good, actually. I can see what you mean, but it couldn't come to a real good climax here on some of the things we might have wanted it to give closure to and still have had a good third season. it set up the third season to be real great the way it ended here. now the third season will have what made the first season good-- a conflicted bad guy. zuko's betrayal was so unexpected. I think he's still not sure about his decision being right. I think that'll be explored next season the whole way through and the final finale will have him finally turn.

so as for the ending, I thought it was a perfect end to season 2. the bad guys won, almost all is lost; season three will be amazing.

as for the plot, I also thought it was great. the anguish of aang over letting go of katara, he becomes willing to let go of her and when he is willing to do that, only then can he have her again. the whole episode was amazing, in my humble opinion.
[/quote]

All good points, but they built up the whole idea of mastering the Avatar state, that when he finally reached it, and was in full control, nothing happened...You expected something, anything, no, he was shot in the back...to me it was a let down...at least let him do something, anything more than just rising then dying :(

The other points you made I really did not think about so thank you for that..

*spoilers*

[url="http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/9269/pietabb5.png"]Aang's Pieta[/url]

Anyone else notice biblical overtones in the season finale?

Edited by Antelucan

Theologian in Training

[quote name='Antelucan' post='1133697' date='Dec 2 2006, 02:45 PM']
*spoilers*

[url="http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/9269/pietabb5.png"]Aang's Pieta[/url]

Anyone else notice biblical overtones in the season finale?
[/quote]

Some...but they were also using a lot of Eastern spirituality as well, especially the part about opening all 7 Chakras.

Yeah, there is no question the show is infused with Eastern spirituality, but in the season two finale I think there was a greater emphasis on Aang's role as a messiah-type figure, and I think the death and resurrection sequence at the end reinforces this idea.

Plus I just thought the Pieta scene was really cool.

I think he was still in the process of mastering the avatar state when he was hit. notice how when he was hit he fell from that huge monster-cosmic image of himself? to master the avatar state he would have had to be joined with that thing, I think. he didn't actually master the avatar state, as evidenced by his look at the end when he saw katara: he was still attached to her.

either that, or the fact that the avatar state as they have described it on the show has a good offence but not a good defence. it is his most vulnerable position.

but yeah, i definitely recognized how much it looked like a pieta right there. but yeah, the whole thing's designed to be a big mix-up of many different eastern cultures, spiritualities, martial arts, and myths. well, and american culture/humor. anything we recognize in it is probably just universal themes.