An Old School Catholic Message Board

** Teresa De Jesus - On Ewtn **

Chiquitunga

Hello to everyone!

Have you guys heard of the "Teresa de Jesus" series that's going to be on EWTN? It is a great production!!! It was a made for TV movie I believe, in Spain, in 1984 consisting of 8 parts on the life of St. Teresa of Avila and the beginning of the Discalced Carmelite Order.

When I visited the Buffalo Carmel, the Mother highly recommended that I watch it. They had it taped from EWTN several years ago in the guest house. The other sisters in the Carmel liked it too. They usually have everyone who enters see the film. I didn't get to watch the whole series, but I was sooo happy to see EWTN is playing it again.

They do not play this series every year. I emailed them, EWTN, earlier this year to ask about it, and they said they play it from time to time, but do not have it available on tape. I actually found it on DVD on eBay once from Spain, but it was PAL format. I was actually considering buying an International DVD Player just to watch it, to help me discern! :j Then when I saw it was going to be on EWTN this October, I was soo happy! (And I was thinking it probably wouldn't be, since St. Teresa's feastday, October 15, falls on a Sunday this year)

Here are the times: Oct. 2 - 6 at 3AM and again at 6PM (for the first parts) ; then Oct 9 - 11 at 3AM and again at 6PM. (for the final parts)

It is about 8 hours all together, about 1 hour for each part. It is entirely in Spanish, with English subtitles, but this makes it even greater, as it is filmed in Spain and very true to St. Teresa's real life.

I hope some of you will be able to see this, especially if you are discerning a vocation to Carmel! - and also for Gemma who is a founder like St. Teresa of Avila! : )

God bless everyone!

Margaret

Edited by Margaret Clare

Hello! Praised be Jesus Christ!

I wanted to add that these times are Eastern Time. You can check for more details at [url="http://www.ewtn.com"]www.ewtn.com[/url] under Television - Program Schedules.

It looks like the first 5 parts are called "The Way of Perfection" Then part 6 is "Discalced Visit" 7 - "Life" and 8 - "Daughter of the Church"

On a side note, I think the order here is interesting, as the Buffalo Carmelites actually recomended that I read "The Way of Perfection" first, before reading St. Teresa's other works. I think this is because she wrote this one first, and it is directed to the nuns of the order she was founding - good for someone discerning a call to her order.

Praised be Jesus Christ, now and forever!

Edited by Margaret Clare

AlterDominicus

Yeah! I cant wait, I recorded the majority of them last year, but I missed a few episodes, now when it comes on I can get all 8 this time around!! Just re-record over them, there was a Saint Therese Little Flower documentry on today that I recorded. I LOVE :lust: it when they do these kinds of films and movies. My other favorite is on Saint Faustina that was showed not that long ago. :drool:

[quote name='Margaret Clare' post='1080187' date='Sep 30 2006, 12:08 PM']
Hello to everyone!

Have you guys heard of the "Teresa de Jesus" series that's going to be on EWTN? It is a great production!!! It was a made for TV movie I believe, in Spain, in 1984 consisting of 8 parts on the life of St. Teresa of Avila and the beginning of the Discalced Carmelite Order.

When I visited the Buffalo Carmel, the Mother highly recommended that I watch it. They had it taped from EWTN several years ago in the guest house. The other sisters in the Carmel liked it too. They usually have everyone who enters see the film. I didn't get to watch the whole series, but I was sooo happy to see EWTN is playing it again.

They do not play this series every year. I emailed them, EWTN, earlier this year to ask about it, and they said they play it from time to time, but do not have it available on tape. I actually found it on DVD on eBay once from Spain, but it was PAL format. I was actually considering buying an International DVD Player just to watch it, to help me discern! :j Then when I saw it was going to be on EWTN this October, I was soo happy! (And I was thinking it probably wouldn't be, since St. Teresa's feastday, October 15, falls on a Sunday this year)

Here are the times: Oct. 2 - 6 at 3AM and again at 6PM (for the first parts) ; then Oct 9 - 11 at 3AM and again at 6PM. (for the final parts)

It is about 8 hours all together, about 1 hour for each part. It is entirely in Spanish, with English subtitles, but this makes it even greater, as it is filmed in Spain and very true to St. Teresa's real life.

I hope some of you will be able to see this, especially if you are discerning a vocation to Carmel! - and also for Gemma who is a founder like St. Teresa of Avila! : )

God bless everyone!

Margaret
[/quote]

:D: Yeah!!! Thanks for letting us know! I was fortunate enough to get to see a few parts of it this summer and I wanted to buy it but, like you said, they don't have it availible. Now, I can tape it! :D: :D: :D:

AlterDominicus

Yeah, lol today I walked into my room cause I am recording it to get change since I also have a sci-fi show that comes on at the same time Theresa does, and I really walked in on the wrong part. HAHAH. I was hysterical!! As to what was happening in the movie, I was like, "WHAT! Impossible...HOW many times has this happened now!!! Greattttt...." It was funny. :lol_roll:

Since it contains a spoiler I cant really tell you what happened. Hahaha. :blush: :blush: But it was great.

So is there really no way to get this on DVD or VHS? I don't get EWTN at home, and I'm not home at 6pm to see it online (and if I'm still up at 3am I'm itching to get to bed).

-- Carmen

passionheart

[quote name='cmariadiaz' post='1083474' date='Oct 3 2006, 10:42 PM']
So is there really no way to get this on DVD or VHS? I don't get EWTN at home, and I'm not home at 6pm to see it online (and if I'm still up at 3am I'm itching to get to bed).

-- Carmen
[/quote]

Yes, this series was shown before a few years back. The Daughters of St. Paul sold the videos. Along with the videos for St. Teresa of the Andes.

At the time of the first showing, Canada wouldn't allow EWTN in so a friend had the tapes. I wanted to by the tapes but I found the $100+ alittle too pricey for me a poor student. Now I am just poor :P:

brandelynmarie

When this was on, I would go to another room on break at work & watch as much as possible...(my co-workers would not appreciate a movie in Spanish about a bunch of nuns!) I think the woman who plays St. Teresa is a marvelous actress... :blush:

Ah! Did anyone who is taping this series, catch that the one airing today began at 5:30 Eastern time, instead of 6 PM? I just turned it on to start taping, and realized it began a half hour earlier. Is anyone else taping this that would be willing to send a copy of the third part? Thanks!

Margaret

Yes, the one who plays Teresa did an excellent job at portraying her - so the Reverend Mother at the Buffalo Carmel said. She even looks a lot like some of the paintings of her, with a serious determined face.

My father really loves St. Teresa of Avila also. He saw part of this film from the Buffalo Carmelites, but this time I planned on taping the whole thing and giving it to him for Christmas - but unfortunately I did not get the first half hour of the 3rd part - this is when she was pierced in the heart by the angel. Oh, well.

I think the next 5 chapters start at 6 PM Eastern time.

Aw. I just checked the Daughters of St. Paul website and I couldn't find the video. So if anyone finds a online store that has it let me (and the Phamily) know.

-- Carmen

AlterDominicus

Yeah, I am so ticked!!!! My plan was to record them ALL, all 8 so I took the tapes of the ones from last year and started recording them, not missing a one!

And I watched Episode 2 today, while waiting for 3 to air, and what time did it come on!?!??!??! 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT 5 like it was supposed to! Then there was on 5, but I was already LATE! *hmmph*

lol.

[quote name='AlterDominicus' post='1084271' date='Oct 4 2006, 07:10 PM']
Yeah, I am so ticked!!!! My plan was to record them ALL, all 8 so I took the tapes of the ones from last year and started recording them, not missing a one!

And I watched Episode 2 today, while waiting for 3 to air, and what time did it come on!?!??!??! 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT 5 like it was supposed to! Then there was on 5, but I was already LATE! *hmmph*

lol.
[/quote]

Ah.. that's exactly what happened to me. It began at 4:30. All because St. Francis .... j j/k We love St. Francis - just wanted to get all of Teresa.

We'll have to come up with some way to get all the Episodes. Maybe EWTN will be willing to air it again just for us! .. or maybe not ...

[quote name='Margaret Clare' post='1084302' date='Oct 4 2006, 07:25 PM']
Ah.. that's exactly what happened to me. It began at 4:30. All because St. Francis .... j j/k We love St. Francis - just wanted to get all of Teresa.

We'll have to come up with some way to get all the Episodes. Maybe EWTN will be willing to air it again just for us! .. or maybe not ...
[/quote]

viewer@ewtn.com