An Old School Catholic Message Board

Youth Ministry

catholicinsd

catholicinsd

Hey Pham, I come to ask your opinion:
[b]
Can a Youth Ministry function with a core group of older kids in the place of Youth Minister? [/b]

catholicinsd

[quote name='heavenseeker' post='1085996' date='Oct 7 2006, 12:45 AM']
if they are set on running the youth group like a youth minister would and it works then why not?
[/quote]

So you think it could work?

It could work, but they'd still need a supervisor and chaperones.
A core group of older kids tends to have more drive, more time, and more dedication than one youth minister does (hence why usually there's both). It depends on how old/mature all of the kids are.

Oh, and I wouldn't really recommend it, just because kids will slack off every so often and have conflicts with each other.

Edited by Franimus

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1085942' date='Oct 6 2006, 09:29 PM']
Hey Pham, I come to ask your opinion:
[b]
Can a Youth Ministery function with a core group of older kids in the place of Youth Minister? [/b]
[/quote]

No.

Birgitta Noel

I'm not a youth director, but I'd say no simply for the fact that youth need mentors in the Church to guide them and help them discern the tough issues. There's nothing wrong with having a core team (even with the likely problems noted above) of teens, but having no youth director I would think would be like having the 12 disciples and no Christ to form and guide them. (not that YDs are alter Christus mind you!)

homeschoolmom

I really think of youth ministry as being sort of a mentorship... can't really work without a mentor. Now, can a core group of teens get together and pray and support one another? Sure, but it's not quite the same thing....

No, can't do it. The most obvious reason is that there is no one responsible and I mean that from a legal standpoint.