An Old School Catholic Message Board

Youth Ministry

catholicinsd

catholicinsd

Here's the thing my: parish doesn't have a Youth Group anymore, and I'm pretty sure the only way it be brought back is with a core group (no Youth Minister.)

Birgitta Noel

Can you have a volunteer as opposed to a paid YM? I'm assuming that finances are part of the issue here? :idontknow:

In my humble opinion,

A youth minister will find it [i]extremely difficult[/i] (I stop short of saying [i]impossible[/i]) to do his/her job without a "core group" of teenagers who can function as his/her arms and legs within the youth group.

Similarly, it would be [i]extremely difficult[/i] (once again, not necessarily [i]impossible[/i]) for a group of teenagers to run a youth group. This comes from experience, for I was in a "core group" of teens that was asked (unofficially) to run a youth group while we waited for a new youth minister. It was draining, and I hate to say that we were not completely successful; however, we did accomplish a wonderful retreat and a few solid LIFE Nights.

Take this for what it's worth. I am a former youth groupie as well as a current youth minister, so I've been in both arenas and I can say with certainty that both are needed.

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1086221' date='Oct 7 2006, 11:08 AM']
Why not?
[/quote]

Well, I'd pretty much be echoing what most others said here...

A core group of teenagers are not equipped nor are they mature enough to lead a youth ministry program. It's really that simple.

I like the comparison of the 12 apostles w/out Christ the best...

And, like hsmom said - it's awesome if a core group wants to start some sort of prayer group or activity group - but as far as leading a program - wouldn't be effective.

ditto on what everyone said.

Why not ask the priest? Or ask him to announce that there is a need for a YM right now? Or better yet, the priest himself if there is such a great need?

Too many chiefs and not enough indians will also be a problem.

kids will be kids.

and a YM is vital for a successful YM group.

Been there. It's impossible for 1 person to put their foot down and remain a peer. If push comes to shove, someone needs to make the unpopular decision that won't include a ton of interpersonal and social baggage.

Now I've seen successful prayer groups or study groups where the focus and goal are set and it's people working together. I've then seen those kids be there as core team when an older person was encouraged to take the step. A group like that might just be what someone else needs to step up and volunteer.

heavenseeker

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1086300' date='Oct 7 2006, 03:45 PM']
Here's the thing my: parish doesn't have a Youth Group anymore, and I'm pretty sure the only way it be brought back is with a core group (no Youth Minister.)
[/quote]
Don't let the majority no's keep you from trying. Give it a shot and hope for the best, just do what you can. Sure you guys that set as the core group will have problems but don't let those break up the group. If you as the youth can show the parish that you want a youth group then hopefuly an adult will step in and take on the part of being a youth minister. Just stay positive and don't let the negativity from the others hold you and your friends from trying.

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1085942' date='Oct 6 2006, 11:29 PM']
Hey Pham, I come to ask your opinion:
[b]
Can a Youth Ministry function with a core group of older kids in the place of Youth Minister? [/b]
[/quote]

Not really....

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1086300' date='Oct 7 2006, 02:45 PM']
[/quote]

Man.. This is a hard call. You see, I was part of a core team of young adult leaders and not event that worked. One head person is needed, and if that position is in the air - even with the best intent - there will constantly be "power struggles". IF you decide to do it this way, I would strongly suggest the group be formed with the [i]intent[/i] of finding someone to head the whole thing.

Yes, youth are capable of doing youth ministry, but not on their own, and certainly not without some sort of designated structure.

Talk to your priest. Let him know what you are thinking. See if you can try it with him as a "behind the scenes" kind of leader. You guys do the organizing etc. It will be EXTREMELY difficult, but not entirely impossible.

One more thought. How can people (young or old) who have the same experience learn from eachother?? Something to think about.

I am a YM now, and I can't BELIEVE the difference. Our group has done more now than ever before. Not because we were a bad team, but we lacked structure and order. I hope this makes sense.

I'm part of a young adults group (target age is 18-25). We have a service team led by two co-lay directors. That core team changes every year (of course, some people stay on). The new co-lays are chosen by the out-going ones, who remain on the service team for the new year. The co-lays choose ask individuals if they'd be willing to fulfill a certain position on the service team, and when we have our retreat weekends (2x a year), the members of the service team vote on who should be the weekend co-directors, but the co-lays choose who they will ask. (Then the weekend co-directors choose their team and the kitchen co-directors...)
So, in a sense, we are led by a core group, but it definitely does have structure and leadership. As well, we have a chaplain, and on our retreat weekends we have an older couple acting as 'parents'. They don't 'do' all that much, but they are essential for the atmosphere

I will pray for your group. I think that it is awesome that you have a solid core group. It is very important. I second the opinion that you should seek our your pastor. Let him know the situation that you want a youth group. Find out his thoughts. Maybe you can help in finding someone. In the meantime I would work on keepng the core group together and maybe doing a prayer group and/or service projects.

my EVERYTHING!

I think that in a way it's possible. I'm in a youth group which is run by a core group, and it's been around for years - not dead yet. What is done, though, is that two people are elected/appointed as co-lay directors: ergo, there is a head. They stay in office for a year. Aside from them there are a bunch of others who organize various things, such as meetings. Point of interest: they aren't that young, the majority are about 18 - 25.

catholicinsd

Perhaps I should talk with the novice at the local Benedictine Monastery, and see if she'd be interested.

Edited by catholicinsd

Here's a suggestion

get your core group together twice a week for rosary. make the intention of the rosary a new youth minister.

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1086300' date='Oct 7 2006, 03:45 PM']
[/quote]

HEY SAME STORY ours fell apart and we just got a new pastor now they are tring to consolidate ours with another parish Good luck that won't be to easy anyway it depends on what the kids want out of youth group and if they want leadership or just want to talk about spiritual matters with other youth if they want kinda a support group it could totally work but if they want leadership from someone with experiance then they need a youth minister maybe you need to talk to your pastor but i know now all priests are always understanding tell him you want a youth group get a group together that want to have youth group and show your pastor that you are commited to having afunctional youth group
I will pray for you and good luck