An Old School Catholic Message Board

Peter's Wife...

ReformationNow

ReformationNow

Okay, I was watching a debate in a chat early this morning between a Catholic and Protestant(both lay persons obviously, with little knowledge about eachothers respective faith). They were debating the issue of celibacy, when the Protestant brought up the scripture that speaks of Christ healing Peter's mother-in-law, and stated that 'celibacy cannot be scripture because the "first pope" had a wife.' The Catholic fella was at a loss for what to say and the debate quickly stopped. Now, I've heard this verse before, but never really got to thinking about it. What do Catholics believe on this?

Good Friday

May the joy of Christ be with you, Will.

The simple answer is that the Church didn't require the clergy to be celibate at that time period, so it was fine for St. Peter to be married. Celibacy is a discipline, not a doctrine. It is a custom or a rule, not divine writ. Priests have been celibate for a long time, but at some point in the future the Church could change that. Doctrine is what we believe. Discipline is what we do. What we believe does not change; what we do can change. There is merit in clerical celibacy, but it is not doctrinal.

However, it is commended by both Jesus and St. Paul:

"For there are eunuchs who have been so from birth, and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by men, and there are eunuchs who have made themselves eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. He who is able to receive this, let him receive it." - Matthew 19:12.

"I wish that all were as I myself am. But each has his own special gift from God, one of one kind and one of another. To the unmarried and the widow I say that it is well for them to remain single as I do." - 1 Corinthians 7:7-8.

Okay, I was watching a debate in a chat early this morning between a Catholic and Protestant(both lay persons obviously, with little knowledge about eachothers respective faith). They were debating the issue of celibacy, when the Protestant brought up the scripture that speaks of Christ healing Peter's mother-in-law, and stated that 'celibacy cannot be scripture because the "first pope" had a wife.' The Catholic fella was at a loss for what to say and the debate quickly stopped. Now, I've heard this verse before, but never really got to thinking about it. What do Catholics believe on this?

Here are a few links that explain it pretty clearly... Please take a look at them.

http://www.scripturecatholic.com/the_pries...l#priesthood-IV

http://www.catholic.com/library/Celibacy_a..._Priesthood.asp

http://www.catholic-pages.com/dir/celibacy.asp

Also, when reading the first Christian writings it appears that Peter might have been a widower, or became celibate after being told by Christ to lead the Church (St. John 21:15-17).

God Bless, Love in Christ & Mary

ironmonk