An Old School Catholic Message Board

One Very Surprising "homily" Last Sunday

Eutychus

You have to admit, this isn't your normal run of the mill Homily.

[url="http://www.sthilarychurch.org/uploads/c8c4ce20dec52f27451a6306574aab62.mp3"]http://www.sthilarychurch.org/uploads/c8c4...306574aab62.mp3[/url]

[img]http://www.sthilarychurch.org/uploads/10c785658fe8c3a39e3b4369441566a4.jpg[/img]

[quote]Listen to Fr. John's Homilies NOW! Fr. John's homilies are being recorded so that they can be played right from your computer desktop from MP3 files... Check back often to listen to his homilies that you may have missed, or if you would like to hear them again for daily inspiration![/quote]

A member there reported a standing ovation from the assembly, which was touching, and surprising to the member who reported this on a site I just read, don't post at.

+

What concerns me most is that he didn't deal with this BEFORE he took vows of celibacy! This is totally inappropriate during mass.

The Priest, Fr. John, is leaving the minstry to get married. He whines a bit because he can't find anything in the Bible that prohibits married priests.

homeschoolmom

and it was unclear to him at ordination that this was a discipline that he would be asked to take on?

[b][color="#CC33CC"]Eutycus-- Please present a debate topic or this thread will be closed.[/color][/b]

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

silly priest. if the Eucharist is the center of your life it is no reason to leave just because you want a wife.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' post='1101196' date='Oct 25 2006, 09:47 PM']
silly priest. if the Eucharist is the center of your life it is no reason to leave just because you want a wife.
[/quote]
Careful, someone could read that to mean that if you love the Eucharist more than your significant other (which you should), you should become a priest or religious...which, of course, isn't correct.

However, yes, if the Eucharist was the center of his life inasmuch as it is the center of his priestly ministry, he wouldn't be abandoning his priestly ministry for marriage.

Why didn't the moron become a priest in a rite that allows married priests?

There is no room to complain. There are options, and if more people join rites that allow married priests, then the discipline may change.

homeschoolmom

Questions:
1. Are you allowed to switch rites so that you can be a "married priest"?
2. Are priests allowed to switch rites at all?

I was under the impression that the answer to both of these questions was "no."

the answer to the first question, at least, is "no" because currently no rite of the Church allows any man to mary after ordination; they must be married before their ordination.

I am of the personal opinion that that is an unchangeable doctrine (though many disagree) because I see just as much evidence for it as there was evidence for an all-male priesthood prior to the modern papal statements which completely confirmed an all male priesthood.

but whether or not that's an unchangeable doctrine, there is currently no rite which permits priests to remain priests and get married. they are spiritual fathers of their flocks, so it would be like marrying their daughter.

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

[quote name='Raphael' post='1101202' date='Oct 25 2006, 10:05 PM']
Careful, someone could read that to mean that if you love the Eucharist more than your significant other (which you should), you should become a priest or religious...which, of course, isn't correct.

However, yes, if the Eucharist was the center of his life inasmuch as it is the center of his priestly ministry, he wouldn't be abandoning his priestly ministry for marriage.
[/quote]

men: do not leave your wives and try to become priests! :P:

i meant that if one truly is called By God to be a priest then one should not abandon the calling because one wants a family

homeschoolmom

Let me rephrase my first question. Can a man (married, let's say) change rites so that he can become a priest? I'm thinking the answer is "no."