An Old School Catholic Message Board

One Very Surprising "homily" Last Sunday

Eutychus

I'm thinking it's yes... he just can't let the Bishop find out that's why he's changing rites, beucase I think any married man can be ordained the priesthood, though a preist cannot marry.

"Jesus said to him, 'No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for the kingdom of God.'" (Lk. 9:62).

After years of trial and discernment, this man freely chose to make a promise of celibacy to our Lord. He knew what that would entail, but now he has turned aside from his promise in order to follow the desires of the flesh. How very sad and disappointing. I hope everyone will at least take a moment to pray for this priest's soul. :(

EcceNovaFacioOmni

I think if it was discovered that you were switching rites mainly to become a married priest, your request would be rejected. The East would not want you I would imagine.

Theologian in Training

Wow, after 18 years of priesthood. I do have to say one thing though, it is sad that he left and felt as though he had to step down in order to "possibly" marry a woman, but I have to say, in terms of "leaving" homilies, that one was not bad. He addressed all the questions, made it clear why he was leaving and what his reasons for doing so were (the argument was not that strong, of course, but still) and he seemed to do so with some level of integrity.

I don't agree with him, but it is better than getting up there and just saying your leaving for whatever reason, or to not say anything and just leave.

I will definitely pray for him...it is sad.

Eutychus, this is not new. It's new to you who knows little of Catholicism. People have joined religious orders requiring celibacy only to find out later it wasn't their calling. I'm sure you would find a movie like "[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sound_Of_Music"]The Sound of Music[/url]" scandalous. Just make sure to follow it up by watching "[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cardinal"]The Cardinal[/url]" to even things out.

While this decision is very sad and disappointing, it doesn't make these people are evil. This doesn't mean they don't love the Eucharist any less. You're implying priests love the Eucharist more than the lay people, which is a silly notion. A man married to the Church loves the Eucharist as much as man married to a woman can love the Eucharist. They don't have different loves, simply different spouses.

I look forward to your stories of widowed men who have joined the priesthood after deciding not to remarry. A journey from married life to an ordained life. The street goes both ways.

I would say to Fr. John, thanks for being up front with the diocese and your brothers and sisters. I wish you well. However, do not turn the Church's pulpit into your own personal soapbox. I wish you Godspeed.

Edited by kamiller42

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='kamiller42' post='1101352' date='Oct 26 2006, 03:16 AM']
I'm sure you would find a movie like "[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sound_Of_Music"]The Sound of Music[/url]" scandalous.
[/quote]
In all fairness, she was dismissed and not for reasons of disagreeing with the evangelical counsels, but because she was clumsy and absentminded.

"How do you solve a problem like Maria...?"

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1101128' date='Oct 25 2006, 05:11 PM'][b][color="#CC33CC"]Eutycus-- Please present a debate topic or this thread will be closed.[/color][/b][/quote]or we could just 'lame it up' and move it to the lame board.

[quote name='Raphael' post='1101401' date='Oct 26 2006, 08:48 AM']
In all fairness, she was dismissed and not for reasons of disagreeing with the evangelical counsels, but [b]because she was clumsy and absentminded[/b].
[/quote]
In a way, I feel the same about Fr. John.

MissScripture

[quote name='Raphael' post='1101401' date='Oct 26 2006, 08:48 AM']
In all fairness, she was dismissed and not for reasons of disagreeing with the evangelical counsels, but because she was clumsy and absentminded.

"How do you solve a problem like Maria...?"
[/quote]
She wasn't exactly dismissed. She was asked to go discern some more, and, should she find that this was truly what she was meant to do, she would go back and join the order. However, she realized that Georg was in love with her and she with him, so she freaked out and ran back to the Sisters, where she was going to join. Mother Superior found out why and sent her back.

"Climb every mountain, ford every stream. Follow every rainbow, till you find your dream."

Edited by MissScripture

Euty has done a charitable thing by alerting us to pray for this priest.

A married man can, it is possible, become a priest. but a priest can never marry.