An Old School Catholic Message Board

What's Your Favourite Color Habit?

Veritas

What's Your Favourite Color Habit?  

143 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

the lords sheep

[quote name='Mari Therese' post='1432993' date='Dec 11 2007, 07:22 PM']I like blue, very Marian. However, the Daughters of St. Paul wear a blue habit and they aren't...[/quote]

I don't know that I would agree that the Daughters of St. Paul aren't Marian (if I am reading this correctly...)
They are a very beautiful order of Sisters that are very devoted to the Church and all her teachings. They are very Eucharistic (I believe many of the bookstores have exposition) and the Sisters are faithful to the Magisterium. The Sisters that I know are very beautiful.
Is there any particular reason you say that? or did I misunderstand??

[quote name='the lords sheep' post='1444272' date='Jan 10 2008, 08:37 PM']I don't know that I would agree that the Daughters of St. Paul aren't Marian (if I am reading this correctly...)
They are a very beautiful order of Sisters that are very devoted to the Church and all her teachings. They are very Eucharistic (I believe many of the bookstores have exposition) and the Sisters are faithful to the Magisterium. The Sisters that I know are very beautiful.
Is there any particular reason you say that? or did I misunderstand??[/quote]

I know the Daughters in Toronto very well:) They are a truly wonderful and beautiful order of sisters. I like their charism it's very original! In my experience, they have more subtle Marian aspects (they are placed under the protection of Mary, Queen of Apostles...I think). Their founder was very devoted to Mary. I meant that they are not as Marian, for example, as another order that I know that says the complete rosary or that makes a consecration the Immaculate Heart of Mary.

Sorry for any confusion.

PAX

I dig the black for all who take religious vows. I dunno, it's just old school and hard core Catholic to me.

However, I'll take a habit of any color over street clothes any day! Most sisters I see around my diocese go with the modern, worldly outfits nowadays. While I can appreciate that it might be more functional to wear street clothes in certain situations, I like seeing someone "stand out" for their faith. Habits rock!

• 5 months later...
RosaMystica

I love white habits. Not only because it's the color that Dominicans wear but white represents purity. White is also what a bride wears on her wedding day ;)

[quote name='MandyKhatoon' post='1578629' date='Jun 21 2008, 11:06 AM']I love white habits. Not only because it's the color that Dominicans wear but white represents purity. White is also what a bride wears on her wedding day ;)[/quote]

the meaning of white is a cultural thing.

I, too, like a white habit. The Navy has dress whites, very becoming ("An Officer and A Gentleman").

...but among hindus, white is the color of mourning (rent "Monsoon Wedding"--a very entertaining film).

puellapaschalis

Not to mention the fact that wearing white on one's wedding day was something that began as a fashion fad around the Victorian ear in Great Britain - so less than 200 years ago. Waaaaaay back when people were getting married in any kind of fancy get-up (when they could afford it) and the best they had at home (when they couldn't afford the fancy stuff).

I'm all for getting married in blue.

Back on topic......

Maria Faustina

White and Black= Dominicans, which= AWESOMENESS!!!! I am pretty sure the Lord wants me to be a Dominican, so maybe that is why I have an obsession with black and white.... which is probably why my favorite store is White House Black Market.........................

Maria Faustina

[quote name='Thomist-in-Training' post='1433787' date='Dec 13 2007, 12:57 PM']I chose blue because the prettiest habits I ever saw were dark sky-blue with cream veils (and a rosary and Franciscan rope, called something like Slaves or Servants of the Immaculate but I'm not sure exactly what :'( ) and the next prettiest color-wise are probably the FSI (Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate). But Dominicans are also hard to beat. Sr. Mary Angelica OP from Nashville explained to me that she used to paint and wear all kinds of bright colors and people asked her how she'd cope with a white and black habit and she explained that white light is the presence of all color, and the same for black pigment! :lol:[/quote]

Sister Mary Angelica?? I think she is my principal's sister! Oh her name is Sister Anna Grace Neenan OP. Yay Dominicans!!!!

• 2 years later...
FutureSister2009

Since I can only pick one, I chose blue, but I also love pink and purple. Pink for the Holy Spirit Adoration Sisters and Purple for the Children of Mary

LaPetiteSoeur

Blues and blacks...and anything combo with other colors.

Like the Servants of the Lord and the Virgin Matera habits are great...Blue just reminds me of Mary: :nunpray:

JulianofLdn

I had no idea so many colours existed! [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif[/img]

I do love the pink (why aren't there any pink sisters here in England?)... but there's something about the simple black and white that I find very moving.

Still. Gotta love the brown of the Poor Clares and the Carmelites, too...