An Old School Catholic Message Board

Handmaids Of Nazareth

Chiquitunga

I saw them posted a few times before, but I thought I'd post again on the Handmaids of Nazareth. They are a new community and have a convent in the diocese of Peoria. I have a friend who recently took her final vows with them here in Chicago. She has MS. She was in 2 other orders and struggled a lot with her disability and with the sisters accepting her and being a part of the community. When she found the Handmaids of Nazareth she was soo happy and is very enthusiastic about promoting them. I think she is the closest I've come to meeting a saint. She suffers so much, but is incredibly joyful. The Handmaids of Nazareth take 4 vows, Poverty, Chastity, Obedience, and Joy! (to imitate the Joy of the Blessed Mother, the first handmaid of Nazareth)

[mod]We have been informed that the community no longer exists. Please pray for all who were part of the community. - Lil Red[/mod]

HeavenlyCalling

[quote name='Cathoholic Anonymous' post='1112535' date='Nov 6 2006, 07:31 AM']
I like the way you describe them, but their website seems a little...terse. :blink:
[/quote]
In what way?

cathoholic_anonymous

[quote]Please contact us in writing. You must include your telephone number if you wish a reply. No exceptions.[/quote]

That, for a start. What if for some reason you don't have a telephone? I know one or two people at my university's chaplaincy who don't. Not all college students have the money for one. Most communities sound a little more welcoming when they invite people to contact them.

[quote]We can not accept women with mental or emotional problems.

Our convents are centered around Christ in His Eucharistic Presence.

Our charism is to pray for bishops and priests.[/quote]

That is the worst of all - the way the Eucharistic Presence of Christ and the charism of the congregation are listed together with the community's inability to accept women with mental and psychological problems. I accept that it is rarely possible to admit such women to religious life, but to spell it out so starkly...I don't know. Those three statements seem to give a new meaning to the term 'bullet point'. Does no one else feel this, or am I the only one?

[quote name='Cathoholic Anonymous' post='1112560' date='Nov 6 2006, 07:49 AM']
Those three statements seem to give a new meaning to the term 'bullet point'. Does no one else feel this, or am I the only one?
[/quote]
Well, I agree that they get straight to the point. However, it appears as if they only have that page as their entire website. Their intention might be to communication as much information as possible on one page. :idontknow: That's just my two cents.

be_thou_my_vision

[quote name='Cathoholic Anonymous' post='1112560' date='Nov 6 2006, 08:49 AM']
That is the worst of all - the way the Eucharistic Presence of Christ and the charism of the congregation are listed together with the community's inability to accept women with mental and psychological problems. I accept that it is rarely possible to admit such women to religious life, but to spell it out so starkly...I don't know. Those three statements seem to give a new meaning to the term 'bullet point'. Does no one else feel this, or am I the only one?
[/quote]
Is any community any different? They are all centered around Christ and the Eucharist, don't accept those with mental/emotional disorders (generally), and pray for priest. I don't think they sound much different than any other order I've heard of...

puellapaschalis

I can see what you mean, but I usually try to read the best interpretation possible into words, especially online. shortnun has a good point.

Love and prayers,

PP

be_thou_my_vision

I didn't mean to make my comment sound bad... PP, I don't know exactly what you mean about trying to get the best interpretation possible... I'm not understanding well today, too tired :(
I agree totally with shortnun.

Edited by be_thou_my_vision

puellapaschalis

Sorry, sorry, I was replying directly to CA. My apologies for not making it clear! For what it's worth, I'm not trying to get at anyone, rather just offering how I read it.

Love and prayers,

PP

Hi! Yeah, actually I get what you mean by the web page sounding a bit stark, saying all those things up front, and not seeming to be much different than most communities these days.

I think they especially point this out, that they do not accept women with mental or emotional problems, because they especially invite women with disabilities. That is why the community fit so well for my friend who has MS and a few other things. Also she is not able to live in the convent, because she has to go to physical therapy a lot, so the she is allowed to live at home.

That's the thing that makes this community different. She was able to go through the whole formation as a religious, 6 years, and then this year she took final vows, and still she is able to live at home with her disability. You see what I mean? Otherwise, most people in her case would probably not have the change to be a religious. That is really one of the special charisms of this community, though it isn't said very clearly on this site.

The community actually doesn't have an official website. This is just a flyer that was made, and then put online by someone. Another thing about them is that they welcome older canditates. I met a few of the other sisters. The Mother also has a disability and is in a wheelchair.

They are kind of a spread out community, which probably would not be best for most young women. But for those with special needs, it can be a great fit. As far as I know they have some in NY, some in Peoria, IL, and some in Steubenville, OH.

My friend said for their formation they use the Catechism series by Fr. John Hardon, S.J., founder of the IRL, who used to be my friend's sp director. Her name is Sr. Maria Paulina, by the way. She is well known and loved by many in the Chicago archdiocese.

So if you know anyone with a disability interested in religious life, let them know about the Handmaids of Nazareth.
[mod]We have been informed that the community no longer exists. Please pray for all who were part of the community. - Lil Red[/mod]

Edited by Lil Red

[quote name='Margaret Clare' post='1113047' date='Nov 6 2006, 05:15 PM']
Hi! Yeah, actually I get what you mean by the web page sounding a bit stark, saying all those things up front, and not seeming to be much different than most communities these days.

I think they especially point this out, that they do not accept women with mental or emotional problems, because they especially invite women with disabilities. That is why the community fit so well for my friend who has MS and a few other things. Also she is not able to live in the convent, because she has to go to physical therapy a lot, so the she is allowed to live at home.

That's the thing that makes this community different. She was able to go through the whole formation as a religious, 6 years, and then this year she took final vows, and still she is able to live at home with her disability. You see what I mean? Otherwise, most people in her case would probably not have the change to be a religious. That is really one of the special charisms of this community, though it isn't said very clearly on this site.

The community actually doesn't have an official website. This is just a flyer that was made, and then put online by someone. Another thing about them is that they welcome older canditates. I met a few of the other sisters. The Mother also has a disability and is in a wheelchair.

They are kind of a spread out community, which probably would not be best for most young women. But for those with special needs, it can be a great fit. As far as I know they have some in NY, some in Peoria, IL, and some in Steubenville, OH.

My friend said for their formation they use the Catechism series by Fr. John Hardon, S.J., founder of the IRL, who used to be my friend's sp director. Her name is Sr. Maria Paulina, by the way. She is well known and loved by many in the Chicago archdiocese.

So if you know anyone with a disability interested in religious life, let them know about the Handmaids of Nazareth.
[/quote]

That's incredible! Especially the living at home part!

[quote name='Veritas' post='1113061' date='Nov 6 2006, 05:31 PM']
That's incredible! Especially the living at home part!
[/quote]

Yeah, although Sister may soon be able to live in one of the convents, which she said she would like much better than living at home as a religious. She is actually quite independant, especially with all her disabilities. She is the music director at a parish in Chicago, and plays the organ very well, which many think is a miracle in itself, since she cannot write very well because of the MS. She drives herself around too!

But it's great for her to have this flexibility and still be a vowed religious. She made her final vows in April at St. John Cantius Church. 11 priests concelebrated the Mass!

She said to me actually she didn't really like this flyer that is on this site. Another thing different about this community is that each of the sisters is supposed to be able to support herself - so they will have jobs of some sort outside of the convent - Sr. MP is paid as a music director. But she told me they have some in her community that are more contemplative and some more active.

Edited by Margaret Clare