An Old School Catholic Message Board

Handmaids Of Nazareth

Chiquitunga

[quote name='Veritas' post='1113161' date='Nov 6 2006, 06:45 PM']
+

Does she wear a habit? Do they all wear habits?
[/quote]

Oh yes, definitely! They all wear habits. It is a simple habit, since I believe most of the members are older or have disabilities. They wear a white plain shirt, with a sleeve-less long dress/habit that is dark blue, for the Blessed Mother. In the Summer they can wear a short sleeve shirt (not really short though). Their veil is white, for the purity of OL with a red band around it, to honor the Precious Blood of Jesus. And they also wear sandals without socks. (though probably in the Winter they can wear socks, or maybe regular shoes)

Here are a few lines I found from a parish in San Antonio, Our Lady of the Atonement. Maybe she is another similar to Sr. Maria Paulina, who must live outside of the convent for serious reasons.

"We congratulate our own Sr. Mary Margaret who has been in formation with the Handmaids of Nazareth for two years. With the permission of Archbishop Flores, Sr. took her first vows with the order on January 29th at the parish. Mother Mary Yvonne, HN, the superior of the order, came to the parish to witness the vows made during holy Mass, and joined with us in a celebration reception following. As part of her first vows, Sr. Mary Margaret received the Veil and the order's Cross.

The Handmaids of Nazareth is an institute of religious life of women in the United States under the diocesan law of the Bishop of Peoria, the Most Rev. John Meyers. All of the Sisters are self-supporting. The spirituality of the Handmaids of Nazareth is both Marian and Eucharistic. The Sisters strive to follow the example of Mary, the Handmaid of Nazareth and, through her, to serve Jesus her divine Son, who remains among us today in His Eucharistic Presence. The Community of the Handmaids of Nazareth is faithful to the magisterium of the Church, under the authority of the Roman Pontiff."

Edited by Margaret Clare

cathoholic_anonymous

Ah. That's OK if it is just a copy of a flyer designed on their behalf. I'd be puzzled if a sister had written it. Is there a chance of them ever having a proper website?

[quote]So if you know anyone with a disability interested in religious life, let them know about the Handmaids of Nazareth.[/quote]

I have a disability, but I expect that Carmel should be able to accommodate my needs. It's beautiful that the Handmaids are actively encouraging the vocations of disabled people, though. :) Few orders do that. It makes you feel nice and welcome...

• 2 months later...
sanctafamilia

[quote name='Cathoholic Anonymous' post='1115039' date='Nov 8 2006, 09:11 AM']
Ah. That's OK if it is just a copy of a flyer designed on their behalf. I'd be puzzled if a sister had written it. Is there a chance of them ever having a proper website?
I have a disability, but I expect that Carmel should be able to accommodate my needs. It's beautiful that the Handmaids are actively encouraging the vocations of disabled people, though. :) Few orders do that. It makes you feel nice and welcome...
[/quote]

Which carmelite community are you referring to? I also have a disability and am discerning a vocation. I spoke with Mother Mary Yvonne some years ago but have lost contact with her. I would like to reach her again. Does she have email or something?

God bless,
Krista

[quote name='sanctafamilia' post='1171896' date='Jan 20 2007, 10:31 PM']Which carmelite community are you referring to? I also have a disability and am discerning a vocation. I spoke with Mother Mary Yvonne some years ago but have lost contact with her. I would like to reach her again. Does she have email or something?

God bless,
Krista[/quote]Dear Krista,

Praised be Jesus Christ! The only address I've seen is the one on the flyer on the site:

I believe Mother Mary Yvonne is there in Pittsford. Otherwise, the one Handmaid of Nazareth that I know is Sr. Maria Paulina. She is the music director at St. Thomas More Parish (home of the South Side's Traditional Latin Mass) If you call the parish, you could ask for her, and ask her about contacting Mother. She is very friendly.

And if she's not there, you could leave a message for her. The staff there are friendly too, and all know Sr. MP. She just took her final vows last year, and all were invited. So everyone knows about the Handmaids of Nazareth there.
[mod]We have been informed that the community no longer exists. Please pray for all who were part of the community. - Lil Red[/mod]

Edited by Lil Red

I thought I would put Sixtina's quote in here, too.

[quote name='Sixtina87' post='732225' date='Sep 20 2005, 10:23 PM']
[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a268/Sixtina87/hand.jpg[/img]

this pic is of the Handmaids of Nazareth. Their habits are of the handmaids..i think of Jesus time, not sure though!!!!! They are a religiosu community made up of widows!!!!! Each Sister has childrena dn live at home with their family!!!! they take 4 vows, poveryt, chaisty, obedience and joy!!!!! theya re great Sisters and very up beat community!!!! i know them quite well!!!! Actulyl i'm suppose ot help one of them out here in October and November!!!!!
[/quote]

I knew they accepted widows and older people, but I didn't know they have the flexibility to live at home. Sr. Maria Pauline does currently live at home with her dad, because of her disability. But I know they are looking for a convent where she could be at still be able to get out for physical theraphy and her job as music director. She is really great at playing the organ and all the traditional music for the Latin Mass and everything.

Edited by Margaret Clare

• 1 year later...

I know that this is an old thread but I was searching this order up online and I was surprised to see that phatmass had mentioned it ^_^

I too had a friend with a physical handicap who professed her vows, I believe last year.

Chiquitunga

[quote name='picchick' post='1530364' date='May 16 2008, 11:18 AM']I know that this is an old thread but I was searching this order up online and I was surprised to see that phatmass had mentioned it ^_^

I too had a friend with a physical handicap who professed her vows, I believe last year.[/quote]
Hey, that's great! I wonder if your friend is the same one I know. Here's the more recent thread on them, with some updates: [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=79330&st=0&p=1506599&#entry1506599"]Handmaids of Nazareth[/url] I'm not sure if they're still going, but I know they aren't in the Peoria Diocese anymore, but a few new communities have formed from them.

HolyHearts

The Diocese of Peoria disbanded them a year or two ago. Then the faithful group
reformed in Peoria as the Franciscan Sisters of Mary (Association of the Faithful)
& are doing well. Another group went to Stuebenville; and some remained w/M.
Yvonne. I am not sure if the last two groups exist w/the permission of any Bishop....
The Francican Sisters of Mary can be found at: fsmcharism.net/homehtml
The contact director is: Sister Mary Margaret.
I might add that Sr. Margaret Mary is at Our Lady of the Atonement Church in
San Antonio, TX. It is one on the Special Parishes that operate under the Pastoral
Provision given by Rome for Anglican Churches that have returned to Rome....
Holy Mass & the Sacraments are in an older form of English but the Rituals are
almost identical to the Tridentine Rituals. So all those who desire to enter a com-
munity following the 1962 Missal & Divine Office might do well to contact Sister
Margaret Mary. They need more Sisters at the Parish & Academy.

[quote name='HolyHearts' post='1530504' date='May 16 2008, 01:33 PM']Our Lady of the Atonement Church in San Antonio, TX. It is one on the Special Parishes that operate under the Pastoral Provision given by Rome for Anglican Churches that have returned to Rome.... Holy Mass & the Sacraments are in an older form of English but the Rituals are almost identical to the Tridentine Rituals.[/quote]

I believe that Mother Angelica's PCPA, have a small foundation in that Parish.

HolyHearts

Yes, they do...It is a wonderful Parish with a fervent Priest (convert from
Anglicanism) as Pastor. I dont have the web address; but just Google
Our Lady of the Atonement (San Antonio, TX).

Meg just told me about the Handmaidens today. I am very interested. I am divorced and waiting on an annulment. This is the only order I have seen that would consider nuns over 50. I am going to pray on this for a few weeks and then contact them if it feels like the Lord wants me to.
All I have thought about is being a nun and praying for Priests. This is just too perfect.

Dont know about this order, but if you are over 50, many Benedictine monasteries will consider you. It may be a problem with your annulment though, many orders will not consider you because of that. Not sure what exactly you are looking for. I am over 50 so I am very familiar with the stigma against older vocations(this is something we have dicussed many times here on the phorum).
Good luck to you on your search

FSM Sister

[quote name='HolyHearts' post='1530504' date='May 16 2008, 02:33 PM']The Diocese of Peoria disbanded them a year or two ago. Then the faithful group
reformed in Peoria as the Franciscan Sisters of Mary (Association of the Faithful)
& are doing well. Another group went to Stuebenville; and some remained w/M.
Yvonne. The last two groups exist w/o the permission of any Bishop....

The Francican Sisters of Mary can be found at: fsmcharism.net/homehtml
The contact director is: Sister Mary Margaret.
I might add that Sr. Mary Margaret is at Our Lady of the Atonement Church in
San Antonio, TX. It is one on the Special Parishes that operate under the Pastoral
Provision given by Rome for Anglican Churches that have returned to Rome....
Holy Mass & the Sacraments use an authorized version of the Book of Divine Worship (Anglican) adapted for use within the Roman rite. This is NOT Tridentine, but is often confused with it. There is a Latin Mass offered on Sunday evenings, but it is Novus Ordo.
All those who desire to enter a solid com-
munity and are interested in learning to chant the Liturgy of the Hours might do well to contact Sister
Mary Margaret.
Recently, the PCPA nuns took over the convent where Sister had lived for several years. As far as I know, Sister will still work at the school and live in the area, while the nuns will pray for the needs of the parish and school.

Edited by FSM Sister

gloriagurl

[quote name='Deb' post='1530702' date='May 16 2008, 07:07 PM']Meg just told me about the Handmaidens today. I am very interested. I am divorced and waiting on an annulment. This is the only order I have seen that would consider nuns over 50. I am going to pray on this for a few weeks and then contact them if it feels like the Lord wants me to.
All I have thought about is being a nun and praying for Priests. This is just too perfect.[/quote]

Forgive me, I know this is off topic but Deb that is the most adorable picture of a kitten I have ever seen. WHAT A FACE!!!

irishdancer

[quote name='Deb' post='1530702' date='May 16 2008, 06:07 PM']Meg just told me about the Handmaidens today. I am very interested. I am divorced and waiting on an annulment. This is the only order I have seen that would consider nuns over 50. I am going to pray on this for a few weeks and then contact them if it feels like the Lord wants me to.
All I have thought about is being a nun and praying for Priests. This is just too perfect.[/quote]

A friend sent me this link [url="http://www.toledovocations.com/women-in-formation/women-in-formation.html"]HERE[/url] and when I saw your post, I thought you--and our other older discerners--might enjoy seeing a 70 year old novice and her fellow sisters. Click on the names of the ones in black jumpers and Visitation habits. :clap:

It's inspiring!