An Old School Catholic Message Board

Everything About The Phorum

Lil Red

Commonly asked questions about what goes on in the Wonderful World of Phatmass...
-----
[b]What are all the groups about?[/b]
The ranking underneath your name changes as your post count increases:

[i]Lurker-[/i] Under 50 posts
[i]Newbie-[/i] 50 posts
[i]Peep-[/i] 250 posts
[i]Alien-[/i] 350 or 450 posts
[i]Super Alien-[/i] 750 posts
[i]PM Pham-[/i] 1550 posts
[b]Once you reach 3150 posts, you can change your own title.[/b]

Then there are specialty groups that can only be changed by the Phatmass administration. The reason phatmass has the "Groups" feature is to make it easy for lurkers, newcomers and other members to easily distinguish who they can "trust" in regards to Church teaching, and who they shouldn't really take as an authority on matters.

[i]Phatmasser-[/i] Everyone starts in this group. The generic default.

[i]Church Militant-[/i] Member must be 100% loyal to the Magisterium. Members who have shown they are fully faithful and Orthodox to ALL church teaching. Plus show a demonstration of Charity when dealing with non-Catholics. Have also shown a willingness and talent to defend Church teachings with Apologetics. Recommended by other Church Militant. Will be tagged with a Vatican flag + cross icon. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/style_images/1/folder_team_icons/group_militant.gif[/img]

[i]Clergy-[/i] Proof of ordination. Will be tagged with a Vatican flag + cross + sacred heart + monstrance icon. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/style_images/1/folder_team_icons/group_clergy.gif[/img]

[i]Church Scholar-[/i] Usually limited to Clergy and laypeople who have formal theology training. The only group able to answer questions in the Q&A board. Will be tagged with a Vatican flag + cross + sacred heart icon. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/style_images/1/folder_team_icons/group_scholar.gif[/img]

[i]Non-Catholic-[/i] well...Non-Catholic. Protestants, Muslims, Jews, etc. All of our non-Catholic friends. Will be tagged with a "I do not rep the Church" icon. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/style_images/1/folder_team_icons/group_noncatholic.gif[/img]

[i]Separated Brethren-[/i] Those claiming Catholicism who have show an unwillingness to submit to the full authority of the Church. Will be tagged with a "I do not rep the Church" icon. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/style_images/1/folder_team_icons/group_noncatholic.gif[/img]

[i]Regulators-[/i] Those who dUSt has entrusted to moderate this place. They moderate all phorums. The regulators are: Aloysuis, Azriel, cmotherofpirl, Era Might, homeschoolmom, hugheyforlife, IcePrincessKRS, inDEED, Kilroy the Ninja, Lil Red, littleflower+JMJ, phatcatholic, Raphael, and Seven77. They enjoy various cakes, pies, and tacos, so very tasty and good for you,, so very tasty and good for you, and can be bribed ;) Will be tagged with Vatican flag + cross + sacred heart + axe. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/style_images/1/folder_team_icons/group_mod.gif[/img]

[b]Does Phatmass have a Mission Statement?[/b]
Yes, and you can find it [url="http://www.phatmass.com/about/mission.php"]here.[/url]

[b]When can I change my title?[/b]
You can change your title after you have reached [u]3150[/u] posts. Crazy spammers can do this in one night. Warning: this can be hazardous to your mental, physical, and spiritual health. :spam:

[b]How can I change my title?[/b]
The title below your avatar will say "I can change my own title now." Go under "My Controls" at the top of the page, then under "Personal Profile" click on "Edit my personal info." It should be the second line under "Custom Member Title"

It may take anywhere from a few hours to the next day for this option to become active once you have reached 3150 posts. Patience is a virtue.

[b]What is that picture under your posts and how do I get one?[/b]
The pictures underneath the posts are called "Avatars."

To add a signature image click on the "My Controls" link, right under the "Phatmass" banner. On the left side there will be a column and near the bottom underneath the heading "Personal Profile" it will say "Edit Avatar Settings"

Click it.

You'll see a little area to browse your computer and upload your image (you can also pick a pre-designed avatar from one of our galleries). Uploaded avatars from your computer must be no larger than 50 KB. The following file types are allowed: gif .jpeg .jpg .png. The dimensions must be 400 by 75 pixels. If you do not have an image in the proper size you can easily make one using a photo editing program such as Photoshop or Gimp, there are also several phatmassers who will make one for you if you ask (its always good to have an idea of what you'd like mapped out when asking, it makes it easier for them to give you something you'll really like).

Note: These images show up in the signature area of your post, rather than up under your name. If you type text or add an image under the "Edit Signature" options it will NOT appear under your posts. The text you insert WILL appear in private messages you send to other members, images will NOT.

[b]How do I post an picture or image in my posts?[/b]

To post a picture as part of your post the image must already be hosted online. If it is an image off a website you can right click the image and click to view the Properties. This should pull up a small window which will have a line titled "Location" or "Address" with a URL listed. Copy the whole URL. It should look something like this: [url="http://www.traditionalcatholic.net/image/Blessed_Virgin_Mary.jpg"]http://www.traditionalcatholic.net/image/B...Virgin_Mary.jpg[/url]

Using the buttons at the top of the Reply window select the "Insert Image" icon (the one that looks like a picture of a tree) and paste in the URL. Click OK. This will insert the proper coding to display your image. (Or simply paste the URL and type in the code manually. )

[ img ]http://www.traditionalcatholic.net/image/Blessed_Virgin_Mary.jpg[ /img ] (your code should look like this, minus the spaces inside the brackets)

If your picture is NOT already hosted online you will need to go to a website such as [url="http://photobucket.com/"]PhotoBucket[/url] and host your image there before you can post it to PhatMass. (Photobucket provides the code you need for posting to the phorum so all you will need to do is copy and paste.)

[b]Why do I have a warning thingy below my name? Can anyone else see it?[/b]
You and the mods are the only ones who can see your warning level. The mods use this to warn members, and it keeps track of every time that member was warned, and for what reason. If you click on your % number next to the bars, you can see a list of all the times you were warned and for what. Every time you are edited for breaking phorum guidelines, you will be warned. If you are warned more than once for the same offense, you will be banned for seven days. If you come back and do it again, you will be banned for 30 days. If you do it a fourth time, it's up to dUSt to permanently ban you or not.

To decrease your warning level, complete one act of kindness toward another phorum member.

If you haven't already, read the Phorum Guidelines: [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?act=boardrules"]found HERE[/url]

Play nice!

[b]What does "bump" and "bttt" mean?[/b]
When a topic gets a new reply, it is automatically moved to the top of the board. "Bumping" a topic means they are posting to "bump" or boost the topic to the top of the board so that it will be the first topic listed. "bttt" means "Back To The Top," basically the same thing.

[b]I posted a question in the question forum, but it didn't show up.[/b]
It fell into a hole in cyberspace and you'll never see it again.

But.. I kid.

dUSt has to approve it first. It may take a few days to appear.

[b]What's with replacing all the "F's" with "Ph"?[/b]
Because we're cool, that's why!

[b]What is spying/lurking?[/b]
You can be anonymous on the boards, and then you can 'spy' to see where everyone else is at. To be anonymous, when you sign in, you can click a box that says "Log in as invisible", which means that you will be logged in as an anonymous member.

To spy on others, go to 'Board Statistics' towards the bottom of the board directory page, then click either 'Last Click' or 'Member Name'. You will be able to see which member is where as of their last click or it will sort by their name. :ninja:

[b]How do you quote someone else's post/s?[/b]
Go to the person's post that you want to quote in your post. In the lower right hand corner of their post is a button marked +Quote. Click this button on all posts that you would like to quote in your post.

[b]Why do certain threads get pinned?[/b]
If there is a thread that has special importance (i.e. an urgent prayer request), it will be pinned.

[b]How do I ignore someone?[/b]
Click on 'My Controls'. Then under 'Options' (found on the left hand side), click on 'Manage Ignored Users'. Add the user name in the form, and then click on 'Update Ignored Users'. You will now no longer see their posts unless you choose to, by clicking on 'View this post' when you come across their posts.

[b]How do I change my screenname?[/b]
Screennames cannot be changed, except by the grace of God and dUSt (if he so chooses to do so - ask nicely!).

[b]I wanted to edit my post, but I'm not allowed to. How come?[/b]
You are only allowed to edit your post in the first hour (or half hour) after you post it. After that, you're just gonna have to leave it. ;)

[size=1]Special thanks to immaculata, who first made this thread.[/size]

HeavenlyCalling

oh, snap. When the post numer= name change thingie changed I thought I would be a Super Alien when I had 450 posts. Why is it called an 'alien' anyway? I am confuzzled.

HeavenlyCalling

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1130124' date='Nov 28 2006, 06:25 PM']
dUSt came up with the names
[/quote]
Oh, well, now it makes sence :P: :blink: It just sounded odd. I guess, Thanks lil red!

I have a question, and I know this has prolly been brought up before. I have a previous sn that needed a revalidation message sent (I wasn't kicked out, I was just inactive for too long). I tried for a while to resend, but eventually I just started this new sn. My question is, how do I get rid of the old one? Do I need to send a request from that sn, or should I just pm dust from this account?

[quote name='Didymus' post='1133672' date='Dec 2 2006, 11:17 AM']I have a question, and I know this has prolly been brought up before. I have a previous sn that needed a revalidation message sent (I wasn't kicked out, I was just inactive for too long). I tried for a while to resend, but eventually I just started this new sn. My question is, how do I get rid of the old one? Do I need to send a request from that sn, or should I just pm dust from this account?[/quote]don't worry about the old one.

• 2 weeks later...

so you can have your warning level decreased for being nice? hsmom told me they were a permant dark cloud that followed you around til the end of your days? anyways... now to be even nicer than i already was!

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Jesus_lol' post='1146949' date='Dec 21 2006, 12:01 PM']
so you can have your warning level decreased for being nice? hsmom told me they were a permant dark cloud that followed you around til the end of your days? anyways... now to be even nicer than i already was!
[/quote]
I created a duplicate account a year ago and still have a warning level from that. :idontknow:

It doesn't bother me.

homeschoolmom

I've only decreased one person's level and that was a pretty unique situation involving helping out a fellow PMer above and beyond the support of the board. So, it's pretty rare.