An Old School Catholic Message Board

Moral Or Not

vianney

Ok guys maybe you can help me out on this one. I am out of high school and college aged going to college. If I drink a beer or two socially and not to get drunk privately is this morally wrong? I thought that the Catholic Church said that we should abide by our governments laws if they are reasonable...What are your thoughts on this and if it is wrong would I be in mortal sin? Any help would be much appreciated.

i'm new to this phorum thing so i really just wanted to see what all the stuff i just put in my signature n stuff will work. anyway, what I always have said about drinking is to drink because you're happy never because your sad and drink but don't get drunk. The psalms say a bit of wine gladdens a man's heart. I really don't think its wrong, definitely not a mortal sin... prolly should wait till ure 21, but it's not really bad unless you get drunk n stuff. Anyway, im gonna send this reply and see what it looks like. PEACE :P

littleflower+JMJ

hi Aloysius!!

don't forget to go to the "Checking In" thread in the Open Mic section....

great sig.....and if your trying to get a image in there, they won't come out in sigs....just a note...

welcome and God BLess!

+JMJ

Since we are to follow the laws of our goverment, it is immoral if you are under 21 even if you do not get drunk, since drinking underage all together is illegal. If you are over 21, and drinking but not getting drunk, then your ok and its moral still.

Only drunkness and breaking the law is immoral side of drinking.

and phat, check out my post count! (123) *screen shots*, i'm gona hang this on my wall and show my grand kids! :P

Edited by Adam

littleflower+JMJ

personally i wouldn't touch it, i've seen too much of the ugly side of drinking and would never touch it......but iits not a sin as long as your responsible and take care of your body and not get drunk...we have a thread on this somewhere, i'll try to find it.....

or you can just tell your friends you don't drink....my bro had friends who were heavy drinkers but everytime my bro was with them, they would offer, he would turn it down tell them he doesn't drink and they'll come to know that thats how you are and respect you for that...

but i don't know...i've never tasted the darn thing so dont' listen to me!!

:P :huh:

hyperdulia again

i'm twenty, i drink (not to the point of drunkeness, purposefully, often, before eight pm, on sundays, during lent, if there's a full moon, and an Independent in the White House). it might be illegal, but breaking some arbitrary rule ain't immoral.

Its best to wait until you are 21 but I don't think its a mortal sin if you do drink before that. Illegal, yes, mortal sin, I don't think so. I drank before I was 21 and got myself into stupid situations because I wasn't mature enough. Just make sure you are able to handle yourself maturly if you choose to drink.

If it's against the law, then it's immoral.

But... check your laws. A lot of the drinking laws don't apply unless it's in public, and others allow minors to drink with parental consent or supervision.

hyperdulia again

abortion is legal. in some places catholicism is illegal.

i think alabama has laws against people under 21 drinking w/out adult supervision. haha.

Don John of Austria

I am with hyper on this one, until 1969 in texas it was illegal for a black and white person to marry ( all sex out of wedlock was illegal) that did not make it immoral, some guy in austin or washington does not get to say what is right or wrong only what the state will punish or not.

cmotherofpirl

In Pennsylvania you must be 21 to purchase alcohol. So kids go to Ohio or Canada to drink. Does that make any sense?

On holidays we have wine with our meals.

On Christmas Eve we have a neighborhood party after midnight Mass, and serve a full meal with red wine or wine coolers. Kids who have something to drink either walk home, stay the night or have their parents with them.