An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dominican Monastery Of The Mother Of God

uruviel

Oh. Thank you. . . When I was younger, my SD was a Dominican sister who was looking into the monastery in Massachusetts, and I looked at her information. What a lovely community! Anyway, I was a little confused because I thought they were the ones who were moving, not remembering the name of their monastery. Thanks for the clarification.

Guest phatdaddy

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' post='1140877' date='Dec 13 2006, 12:12 AM']
I thought that Sr. Angela was entering St. Dominic's monastery? The nuns of this monastery are staying at W. Springfield until their own monastery is finished being built in Linden, VA.
[/quote]

Sr. Mary Catharine,

You are correct. Sr, Angela will bw moving to Linden, Va., so she told me. I was a bit confused on the particulars.
Mr. Ray

• 3 years later...
sistersintigo

This thread needs an update!!
(1. St. Dominic's Monastery is now in the state of Virginia, newly erected, and has its own website (hope somebody else has the link). Which means, the St. Dominic's community of cloistered nuns no longer occupies their temporary shelter in Massachusetts with the Monastery of the Mother of God.
(2. Virginia's Dominican Monastery of St. Dominic goes back to a Second Order monastery in Washington, D.C., which the nuns moved out of.
(3. The Monastery of the Mother of God, in West Springfield, Massachusetts, still has a website and it has been all updated and renovated (the website not the monastery).
(4. The foundation in West Springfield was made from the Perpetual Rosary Dominican Sisters, who do not originate from Prouilhe and the Second Order, but from an old Third Order Dominican congregation. They have the Dominican monastery at Fatima. Their first foundation in North America was in Union City, New Jersey, known as the Blue Chapel. Their community was canonically suppressed in the last few years, because (a. only three nuns remained, all elderly, and (b. their prioress was transferred from the enclosure to a nursing-care facility when her diabetes progressed to the point that she could no longer walk.
(5. In the 1900's, the Order of Preachers (Dominican Order) allowed all the foundations of monastic Dominican women to decide whether or not they desired to take on the responsibility of being Second Order and solemn-professed, even the Perpetual Rosary cloisters which had up to that point been a Third Order religious institute. So, the Dominican Monastery of the Mother of God is now a Second Order enclosure although it began differently.
Everybody with better information than mine, get on this thread and post! Merry Christmas.