An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dominican Monastery Of The Mother Of God

uruviel

Well, I didn't see any other posts or topics brought up about this order, so I thought I'd just go ahead and do it. They are cloistered Dominicans I believe. Whereas they first were started in France, this monastery is in West Springfield, MA. They aren't very different from the Dominicans in Nashville, TN, I thought. Well anyways, we have a family friend entering there soon, it is a wonderful order. I just thought some of you discerners might be interested. Have a look :) here's a link to their website:
[url="http://www.op-stjoseph.org/nuns/ws/index.htm"]http://www.op-stjoseph.org/nuns/ws/index.htm[/url]

For their Charism they had this paragraph that I just had to bring up, I loved it:

[i]Ours is a life of faith in the Mystery of God
and in the Mystery of the Church.
While the preaching friars speak
to men and women about God,
the nuns in their monasteries speak
to God about men and women.[/i]

Love[b]&[/b]God Bless,
-uruviel

Edited by uruviel

[quote name='uruviel' post='1139972' date='Dec 11 2006, 06:20 PM']
[i]Ours is a life of faith in the Mystery of God
and in the Mystery of the Church.
While the preaching friars speak
to men and women about God,
the nuns in their monasteries speak
to God about men and women.[/i]

[/quote]

How beautiful!! :rolleyes:

HeavenlyCalling

They seem very cool! I cant beleive that Mother Mary Hyacinth of Jesus enetered when she was 15!! Has anyone heard of anyone else ( other then, of course, St. Therese of the Child Jesus ) who has done that?

Sr Mary Catharine OP

They are our sister monastery and a lovely Community! I'm glad to hear someone is entering there soon!
They are much different than Nashville. They, like us are the contemplative branch and St. Dominic's first-born.

I encourage anyone to get to know this monastery better!

We have about 250 monasteries in the world; each autonomous.

SMCatharine

There are several great orders of Dominicans scattered throughout the country. Many have perpetual adoration or perpetual rosary. Each seems to be just a little bit different in the lifes they lead, but of course, all Dominicans are super! (sorry prejudiced) Seems that many are really ready for vocations, so let your fingers do the walking through goggle and find a monastery or two to write to.

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='HeavenlyCalling' post='1140016' date='Dec 12 2006, 02:02 AM']
They seem very cool! I cant beleive that Mother Mary Hyacinth of Jesus enetered when she was 15!! Has anyone heard of anyone else ( other then, of course, St. Therese of the Child Jesus ) who has done that?
[/quote]

There's a Sister in the Carmel DCJ motherhouse who entered at 15 and became a novice at 17! When the novice mistress found out, days before the ceremony, that she wasn't 18 yet (so technically not allowed) Sister simply said "Don't worry, it's okay". :D: She's recently been transferred from Croatia, I believe, and is now the cook - the sisters complain that Croatian cooking is so good, they'll burst out of their habits ;)

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='phatdaddy' post='1140789' date='Dec 12 2006, 08:42 PM']
Thanks Lori for sharing. Soon to be Sr. Angela will be entering on 12/27/06, so remember her on that day :sign:
Love ya,
dad
[/quote]

I thought that Sr. Angela was entering St. Dominic's monastery? The nuns of this monastery are staying at W. Springfield until their own monastery is finished being built in Linden, VA.

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='HisChild' post='1141062' date='Dec 13 2006, 01:02 AM']
Wait, what did I miss? LOL Some are leaving to found a new monastery in Va? Or they're all moving to Va?
[/quote]

The nuns of St. Dominic's monastery, DC have sold their make shift monastery and are moving to Linden, VA where they are building a monastery. However, for now they live with the nuns of the Monastery of the Mother of God in WS. They hope to be in their new monastery this year. They don't have a website so I can't show you any pictures althought there are a few on the website of the contractor but I can't remember where.