An Old School Catholic Message Board

Re-defining The Term "marriage"

Guest Faithlikeaseed

Guest Faithlikeaseed

Anyone have any thoughts/feelings on the Canadian Government considering re-defining the term marriage to include same sex couples?

As a Canadian, I am completely appauled that they are taking such action. I feel as though the sacrament of marriage is losing its importance in society and becoming a mere status thing. The purpose of marriage is to pro-create which can't happen in a same sex marriage. So much for this thing they call a democracy in Canada. :angry:

hyperdulia again

their not forcing churches to accept it.

i think their should be a better way to handle the "peculiarities" (child custody at the end of a relationship or after the death of the partner who is the legal parent, innheritance problems, not being allowed to see a sick loved one in the hospital because you aren't family) that same sex couples run into than declaring their relationships marriage.

I think its important to recognize the difference between a civil (sanctioned by law) procedure, and the sacrement of marriage. Whatever the Canadian Government (or the state of Vermont) says, it is a civil (legal) arrangement, not a sacred order. The sacrament exists because of God's grace, and is completely independent of any legal recognition.

That being said, I wish they would call it something besides marriage.

grace,

Jake Huether

I heard there will be a Supreme Court descision in the US (one of the states - slipped my mind) that will be a "make or break" on same sex marraiges. How sad.

Also, anyone hear about that plan in New York to make an all gay school? Isn't that like segragation. For years and years we fought to have blacks and whites together in the same school, no they want to make an "exclusive" school for gays. I think if they do it, they ought to compliment it with an all chaste school - don't ya think. (the priest in his homoly this morning mentioned this)

It's not just a plan Jake, the school is opening in the fall (that's what I heard on the news) and they already have kids enrolled. The organization that started the school has been around for years, but they finally were able to obtain a school building, which is why they're opening the school. I think it's awful and like you said Jake, it is segregation.

They say they are doing it to make the kids feel more comfortable. Well, in that case, then there should be all white schools, all spanish schools, all people with blonde hair schools, all people with a birthmark on their face schools. Ok, my examples are silly, but I think it makes a point. If they can't learn to live with a regular high school, how can they learn to deal with the real world?

All this school will accomplish is to breed a whole bunch of maladjusted kids who can't deal with the real world.

cmotherofpirl

I think the state should be forced to open Catholic schools.

We are discriminated against.

WE deserve a state paid catholic education as well.

WE should sue!!!!

Jake Huether

All this school will accomplish is to breed a whole bunch of maladjusted kids who can't deal with the real world.

Not to mention, in a few years, a generation of messed up families!

Forget moms and dads, it'll be dads and dads and moms and moms.

These people don't realize that God's watching and His just wrath will not be held back too long.

These people don't realize that God's watching and His just wrath will not be held back too long.

Jake, I couldn't agree more.

cmotherofpirl

This will not help the kids in the long run, but only intensify the us vs them mentality.

And if they think they won't get picked on, they are wrong. It just provides a convenient public location.

cmotherofpirl

It is another step on the slippery slope.

Canadians do not have the right of free speech in their country.

THey do not have the right of protest or free association in their country either.

hyperdulia again

I don't think my family is messed up thank you very much.

Jake Huether

Sorry Hyper, no offense intended. But most if not all of these people would say the same thing. Is it true? They may think so. But a fact is a fact. Homosexuality is a DISorder. It is not natural. It is a twist of a gift that God gave us.

Most druggies tend to think that there is nothing wrong with them or their fam's. Alcoholics think they are okay. No one wants to admit when there is something "wrong" with their family - or themselves. A family built around the homosexual lifestyle is NOT normal. It, in other words, is messed up.

God doesn't lay rules before us for the sake of seeing us suffer. On the contrary, it is when we break these laws that we suffer.

A few quick thoughts on how this "messes" up a family.

1) The mother and mother (or father and father) CAN NEVER have procreative realtionship sexually. In fact, they can NEVER really have a true UNITIVE relationship sexually. They may have love for eachother as friends and life partners - but they can NEVER make (create) love between them. There will never be the love that is MADE between a husband and wife. If the homosexual couple lives chaste lives together, then I might agree. But when they have sex, lead themselves to hell, and then on top of that bring a child up, whose soul is in danger of hell, there is serious problems.

2) The children of these gay couples will inadvertantly grow up without a life-long role modle of one gender or the other.

3) The children of such couples will be indoctrinated (at the very most vonerable time of their lives - childhood) believing pre merital sex to be "okay" and actually "good". They will be taugth that homosexuality is normal and equal in "fact" to heterosexuality. In which case they will then most likely choose to be gay. Or if they do feel heterosexual (normal) feelings, they will rationalize it being wrong since their parents are gay.

4) Homosexual ACTS lead to ones eternal damnation. Do these people care about their childrens (obviously adopted - if not a product of a previouse heterosexual union) eternal souls? Highly unlikely.

hyperdulia again

As Bro. Adam once said it's really hard sometimes to not leave here and not come back.

I'm leaving to warp my child's mind by preparing lunch.

Contraception leads to Hell, should those who contracept sell their children to the first good Catholic they can find?

hyperdulia again

This is the second time someone at phatmass has said something that hurt me to the point of tears.

Jake Huether

Wow, Hyp. Sorry man. I didn't mean to convey that message. It is our duty, while on earth, to help eachother get to heaven. It is true that many, if not most, heterosexual couples are "messed up" too! That being said, there is a difference. Within the bounds of a heterosexual marraige, there is the possibility of NOT being messed up (whether or not that is realized is beyond the scope). Unfortunately, within the bounds of a homosexual union there is NO possibility of EVER being NOT messed up. There is NO chance of bringing a child up without a dad or mom to compliment the other and NOT messing up that childs life in that respect.

I hope you can understand this. What goes on the next step up after marriage is part of the journey. No family (except of course for the Holy family) will ever exemplify "normal". But what will remain "normal" is that the couple was married before God in a licit union of man and woman. That Sacramental Grace will flow in the family, and give life where there is no life. On the other hand, a homosexual family doesn't even have the foundation of "normal". There is no Grace in a homosexual union - in fact the opposite of grace abounds, that is sin.