An Old School Catholic Message Board

Lord, If You Wish (Will)

Theologian in Training

Theologian in Training

3rd Sunday in Ordinary Time. I chose to focus on the Second Reading, and explain the Mystical Body of Christ. God Bless BTW, I am only reposting it here as well because Terra Firma asked me to :)

When we first entered this world, we were strangers and aliens to ourselves and to one another until we were washed in the waters of baptism and made sons and daughters of God and one other. And, when we first received Christ in the Holy Eucharist, we then entered into the full communion of this Church.

We became, as we heard in our second reading today, from St. Paul, “Christ’s body and individually parts of it,” for, in one Spirit we were baptized and in one body we became one with a greater Body, the Mystical Body of Christ. This is what it means to be in full communion and this is what is understood by the Communion of the Saints.

And, this is Christ’s body, which means that it is not a traditional body, but a body that extends from here on earth, to those in Purgatory, to those in Heaven, this is why the person right next to you is your brother or sister and this is why those in Heaven are also your brothers and sisters, because, by Christ’s death and Resurrection, He reconciled the divide that existed between Heaven and earth, and there is now no difference that can be found.

Yet, this is also why we pray to them and for those souls in Purgatory, because, as Paul also reminds, “If one part suffers, all the parts suffer with it; if one part is honored, all the parts share its joy.”

The English author and poet John Donne, in one of his famous meditations, “no man is an island” one said: “no man is an island entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main.” In other words, we are never alone, in other words, we are part of a great family. This is why some of the greatest saints on earth would turn to the saints in Heaven and speak to them as though they were speaking to so\meone here on earth, because, in some sense, they were actually nearer to them than one speaking on a phone.

Yet, this communion that exists is probably the clearest and the most beautiful, the most profound when we celebrate these sacred mysteries, when we partake in this Mass, because we are literally bringing Heaven on earth, and with it, all of those who dwell there. In fact, many Saints, would have visions of the angels and saints kneeling before the altar, partaking in the Masses here on earth. And, though it may sound strange, it shows us in the most amazing and most profound way and reminds us, all of us, what it means to be one Body in Christ.

Edited by Theologian in Training

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1161480' date='Jan 11 2007, 12:50 PM']
This is something I have to remind myself of ALL the time. :blush:
[/quote]

Dont we all!.

Theologian in Training

1 Corinthians 13

If you have ever wondered what it means to love, you need only look at our second reading today, from St. Paul, who explains it quite beautifully. In fact, he explains that if love is not the foundation of our lives, all things will ultimately fail. For, even the great virtues of faith and hope mean nothing and amount to nothing, if they are not driven by the virtue of love.

He even goes so far as to say that in striving for all the spiritual gifts, this is still the most excellent way, and underscores again and again and again that everything we do must begin and end in love. For, no matter what we do, whether by speech or action, it becomes nothing more than noise, nothing more than a show. We can prophecy, have great faith, move mountains, give everything away, but are still left with nothing. We still need love.

And, it is only when we live that love each and every day, and allow it to be embodied in us, that we eventually become that love. We become patient, we become kind, we become humble and we are then able to bear all things, we can then believe all things,
hope all things, and endure all things, because it is love that never fails, it is love that is never conquered. Perhaps, it sounds a bit idealistic, or the stuff of a Hollywood romance, but we have to remember, we still do not know what it means to live in the fullness of love, because, as St. Paul also reminds, we still see indistinctly, as in a mirror, that is, we don’t see the entire picture, because we still have not seen God in His fullness, we still have not seen Him face to face.

Yet, St. Paul is telling us that it is love, above every other virtue, above every other thing, that helps us to experience, in the closest way possible, the full revelation of God in our midst. In fact, the bishop and Doctor of the Church, St. Francis De Sales once said: “Love is repaid with love alone.” I have a picture in my office with a silhouette of Jesus on the cross, with very powerful words written next to it. It poses a question and then gives Jesus’ reply: “I asked Jesus, ‘How much do you love me?’ ‘This much,’ He answered, and He stretched out His arms and died.” And that is the point, because by embodying this love, we imitate He who is love itself. We become like Jesus in every way. And that love we imitate, the love we become, is still only a mere glimmer of the love we will experience when we see Him as He is face to face.

So faith, hope, love remain, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Theologian in Training

I changed two things to avoid repetition...

1 Corinthians 13

If you have ever wondered what it means to love, you need only look at our second reading today, from St. Paul, who explains it quite beautifully. In fact, he explains that if love is not the foundation of our lives, all things will ultimately fail. For, even the great virtues of faith and hope mean nothing and amount to nothing, if they are not driven by the virtue of love.

He even goes so far as to say that in striving for all the spiritual gifts, this is still the most excellent way, and underscores again and again and again that everything we do must begin and end in love. For, no matter what we do, whether by speech or action, it becomes nothing more than noise, nothing more than a show. We can prophecy, have great faith, move mountains, give everything away, but are still left with nothing. We still need love.

And, it is only when we live that love each and every day, and allow it to be embodied in us, that we eventually become that love. We become patient, we become kind, we become humble and we are then able to bear all things, we can then believe all things,
hope all things, and endure all things, because it is love that never fails, it is love that is never conquered. Perhaps, it sounds a bit idealistic, or the stuff of a Hollywood romance, but we have to remember, we still do not know what it means to live in the fullness of love, because, as St. Paul also reminds, we still see indistinctly, as in a mirror, that is, we don’t see the entire picture, because we still have not seen God in His fullness.

Yet, St. Paul is telling us that it is love, above every other virtue, above every other thing, that helps us to experience, in the closest way possible, the full revelation of God in our midst. In fact, the bishop and Doctor of the Church, St. Francis De Sales once said: “Love is repaid with love alone.” I have a picture in my office with a silhouette of Jesus on the cross, with very powerful words written next to it. It poses a question and then gives Jesus’ reply: “I asked Jesus, ‘How much do you love me?’ ‘This much,’ He answered, and He stretched out His arms and died.” And that is the point, because by embodying this love, we imitate He who is love itself. We become like Jesus in every way. And, yet, that love we imitate, the love we become, is still only a mere glimmer of the love we will experience when we see Him as He is face to face.

So faith, hope, love remain, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

[b]The Conversion of St. Paul[/b]

Today, we celebrate an interesting feast, the feast of the conversion of St. Paul. It is interesting because, as far as I know, there is no other saint whose conversion we celebrate, only St. Paul’s. What’s more, is that it is probably one of the most well-known conversions and most frequently quoted, in or out of context. And, there has to be a reason for that, and I think it is because it forces us to recall our own conversion and to remember when God knocked us off our horse and revealed Himself to us.

I don’t think there is anyone here who cannot remember their conversion, because, if we think about it, there is one major conversion and then a series of smaller ones that lead us closer and closer to God. And these moments are memorable, we can never forget them, for who would be able to forget the moment God stepped into our lives? And, I think that is the purpose of our recalling St. Paul’s conversion today, because it recalls our own beginning and helps us to see how far we have actually come. After St. Paul was converted he fought adamantly for the faith that he had rejected and persecuted so often, he used that same zeal to become one of the greatest Christians the world has ever seen. His life truly changed in an instant, and in that flash he was never the same. Perhaps, we too have felt that at one time in our lives as well, for after all, it is a memorable moment, yet, I think, at the same time, it also something we often forget.

Perhaps today we might pose a simple question: “Have I sought to live the fullness of my conversion the way St. Paul did?” It is a question worth examining, because it challenges us not just to remember our own conversion, but to check in on ourselves, as it were, and to see how much of an impact that conversion truly had on us, because, in the end, it shows us why that conversion was so important to begin with, because, just like St. Paul, God entered our lives and we were never the same.

Theologian in Training

It is always a nice thing when you hear someone walking out the door saying: "that was a really good homily.." I don't look for praise and people tell me when they like something..but sometimes when you are not even thinking about it, and someone says that, it is a nice reminder and reassurance that the homily you prayed and pored over really did touch at least one person.

God Bless

Theologian in Training

Resisting Sin...What a powerful reading tomorrow. (Actually, given how late it is, technically, today) The Gospel is one of my all-time favorites, but I really wanted to preach on the first reading, given its beauty and power. Enjoy!

Perhaps, as obvious as it sounds, the greatest obstacle to attaining holiness is our falling into sin, and in our first reading today, we are given a beautiful but stern instruction on how we can best root out the sin in our lives.

It begins with a reminder, that we are “surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses,” that is, the saints, those, who, just like you or I, who also struggled with their own sinfulness, their own sins, and, by the grace of God, persevered in running the race, and were ultimately able to conquer those sins. They serve for us as an example, as teachers, and as a reminder, that the way they were able to do it, is the same way we too will be able to do it: by keeping our eyes fixed on Jesus. For, it is only Jesus and Him alone who opened up heaven for us, who has taken His seat at the right of the Father, who has taken our sins and shed His blood for them.

And, it is this that should give us hope, it is this that we should remind ourselves of each and every day, because though Christ could not sin, His suffering was for our sins, and our struggle is to assure Him that He did not do it in vain.

This is why, as we heard, we should not grow weary and lose heart, this is why we need to fight the good fight, as St. Paul says, this is why sin must be rooted out from our hearts and conquered, and this is why, in our struggle, we need to resist to the point of shedding blood, that is, we need to fight until we can fight no more.

Granted, it is a lot easier said than done, and temptation happens to us all, but it is what we do with that temptation that makes the difference. St. Josemaria Escriva has offered an excellent suggestion, he says: “At the time of temptation think of the Love that awaits you in heaven.”

This is why again, in our struggle, it is important to remember that “cloud of witnesses,” because it their prayers and their intercession that can help us as well. And by remembering them, and meditating on the sufferings that Christ endured, we will long for heaven and be able resist to the point of shedding blood, knowing that by doing so, it is not in vain, but will lead us more and more to greater holiness.

Theologian in Training

In our readings today Isaiah and St. Peter found themselves in the presence of God. And their immediate response was the same, to fall upon their knees, aware of their unworthiness. St. Peter says: “Depart from me, for I am a sinful man,” and Isaiah: “I am man of unclean lips living among a people of unclean lips.” Both very aware that they were in the presence of holiness, and both feeling as though they should not be.

Everytime we enter this Church, anytime we enter any Catholic Church we are given the same opportunity, because we come, as nowhere else in the world, into the presence of God. For, we believe that in that tabernacle God truly dwells, which is why, when we enter this Church, we too show a sign of reverence by a bow or a genuflection and then, just like Isaiah and St. Peter, knowing that we are in the presence of holiness, knowing that we are in the presence of God, we fall upon our knees.

The difference, however, is sometimes we don’t know this, because He is hidden, because all we see is what appears to be a piece of bread. Yet, it was St. Teresa of Avila, who put it well when she said: “The King of Glory has concealed His majesty under the appearance of bread in the Blessed Sacrament to encourage us to approach His Divine Heart with greater confidence.”

And, it makes sense, because if we saw Him as Isaiah and St. Peter saw Him, we might never approach Him, we might be too afraid, feel too unworthy, and leave His presence. And yet, He remains for our sake, out of love for us. In fact, St. Alphonsus Ligouri, in his book of meditations, Visits to the Blessed Sacrament, prays a beautiful prayer, he says: “My most beloved Jesus, hidden under the sacramental veils, it is because of Your love for me that You remain night and day enclosed in this Tabernacle.” And, truly, there really is no other reason, He stays there and waits for us, this is why, in the darkest of Churches there is always a candle burning before the Tabernacle, it is a light to guide us to the light of the world.

We are given a very unique opportunity, because we can come into His presence anytime we like, anytime a Church is opened. And, what we do in His presence is entirely up to us, sometimes, in fact, we don’t need to do anything, but just sit there and be still and know that He is God. There is a beautiful story that has been recounted about St. John Vianney when he was pastor. In his parish there was a man who would spend countless hours just looking at the tabernacle, and when St. John Vianney asked the man what he was doing everyday, the man simply responded: “Nothing, I look at Him and He looks at me!”

We are all invited to do the same, to spend time in His presence, to kneel before Him in faith and humility, and to cry out with the angels: “Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord of Hosts.”

Theologian in Training

I know there are many great readings for me to choose from, and yet, I wanted to focus on the lesser known saints we celebrate tomorrow...so this is tomorrow's homily. I don't foresee my changing it much before Mass, but, if I do, I will add those here..God Bless

A martyr, if you recall, is a witness, one who, on behalf of the faith, is willing to do what it takes to preserve that faith, even if it means death itself. So, when the climate became very hostile toward Christianity in Japan a man by the name of St. Paul Miki, stood out from among the rest. And, it was by his example, by his witness, that others were inspired to follow him to the same end, to be led into the town of Nagasaki, singing the great hymn of praise, known as the Te Deum, to go upon a hill, now known as the Holy Mountain, and to be crucified for their faith.

St. Paul Miki, the son of a Japanese military leader, and born into great wealth, was educated by the Jesuits and eventually became one himself. He was known for his great and eloquent preaching, yet some say, his greatest homily was the one preached from the cross, which I would like to share now. He says:

“The only reason for my being killed is that I have taught the doctrine of Christ. I certainly did teach the doctrine of Christ. I thank God it is for this reason I die. I believe that I am telling only the truth before I die. I know you believe me and I want to say to you all once again: Ask Christ to help you to become happy. I obey Christ. After Christ’s example I forgive my persecutors. I do not hate them. I ask God to have pity on all, and I hope my blood will fall on my fellow men as a fruitful rain.”

That last line, in particular, is quite striking, because, in essence, it is a summary of what it means to be a martyr, that there is a hope that the blood shed is not in vain, and that that blood becomes a “fruitful rain,” that is, there is a hope that by being washed in that blood, as it were, they may remember why it was shed in the first place; for the witness and the preservation of the faith.

This is why, to this day, he is known one of the greatest martyrs of Japan, and it is said that when the missionaries returned to Japan there was no trace of Christianity except in one place, and that was in the surrounding areas of Nagasaki, where Christians had secretly preserved the faith, because of St. Paul Miki and his companions.

Theologian in Training

Hmmm...I just realized I spoke about St. Paul Miki and his companions, but I really did not give anything in the way of what we need to do.....hmmm

Theologian in Training

Alright, I added something to give it that "what we need to do" thing.

A martyr, if you recall, is a witness, one who, on behalf of the faith, is willing to do what it takes to preserve that faith, even if it means death itself. So, when the climate became very hostile toward Christianity in Japan a man by the name of St. Paul Miki, stood out from among the rest. And, it was by his example, by his witness, that others were inspired to follow him to the same end, to be led into the town of Nagasaki, singing the great hymn of praise, known as the Te Deum, to go upon a hill, now known as the Holy Mountain, and to be crucified for their faith.

St. Paul Miki, the son of a Japanese military leader, and born into great wealth, was educated by the Jesuits and eventually became one himself. He was known for his great and eloquent preaching, yet some say, his greatest homily was the one preached from the cross, which I would like to share now. He says:

“The only reason for my being killed is that I have taught the doctrine of Christ. I certainly did teach the doctrine of Christ. I thank God it is for this reason I die. I believe that I am telling only the truth before I die. I know you believe me and I want to say to you all once again: Ask Christ to help you to become happy. I obey Christ. After Christ’s example I forgive my persecutors. I do not hate them. I ask God to have pity on all, and I hope my blood will fall on my fellow men as a fruitful rain.”

That last line, in particular, is quite striking, because, in essence, it is a summary of what it means to be a martyr, that there is a hope that the blood shed is not in vain, and that that blood becomes a “fruitful rain,” that is, there is a hope that by being washed in that blood, as it were, those who saw, remember why it was shed in the first place; for the witness and the preservation of the faith.

This is why, to this day, he is known as one of the greatest martyrs of Japan, and it is said that when the missionaries returned to Japan there was no trace of Christianity except in one place, and that was in the surrounding areas of Nagasaki, where Christians had secretly preserved the faith, because of St. Paul Miki and his companions.

And yet, this martyrdom, this witness, has gone beyond Japan and reaches even us, this day, in this Church, and challenges us to the same faithfulness and the same desire, perhaps not to the point of death, but to have the strength and to fight as though it could be. For, as the Church Herself reminds and the thought I would like to end with: “Martyrdom makes disciples like their master, who willingly accepted death for the salvation of the world, and through it they are made like him by the shedding of blood. Therefore, the Church considers it the highest gift and as the supreme test of love. And while it is given to few, all, however, must be prepared to confess Christ before humanity and to follow him along the way of the cross amid the persecutions which the Church never lacks”

Theologian in Training

This homily just did not want to come together. I preached something entirely different last night, but this is what it is now.

How many books, how many people have offered us the key to happiness. Follow these steps, take this drug, live this life, and one day you will be happy. And, happiness does come, for a little while, and then just as quickly fades. In the end, something was missing, something was forgotten, someone was ignored.

In today’s Gospel, this is what Jesus is telling us. It is a hard message, to be sure, but He is showing us the way to true happiness. And, yet, for us, it makes absolutely no sense, because He is turning everything upside down and telling us that those things that bring comfort that bring joy in this world are those same things that can bring sorrow, struggle and grief.

He says: “Blessed are the poor,” yet what does it mean to be poor? It means to have nothing, or, if not nothing, enough to survive. It means placing trust that today things will be different, or, if not different, there will be enough to endure one more day.

He says: “Blessed are you who are now hungry,” and what does it mean to be hungry? It means that the basic sustenance needed for strength is lacking, it means that there is an emptiness and it seeks to be filled.

He says: “Blessed are you who are now weeping,” and what does it mean to weep? It means there is something in our lives missing and we lament that loss. It means that what we have today we will not have tomorrow, and we recognize this and express it in our pain and our sorrow.

He says: “Blessed are you when people hate you, and when they exclude and insult you, and denounce your name as evil,” and what does it mean to be hated, to be insulted, to be excluded, and to be called evil? It means that people can see nothing in us that is good, it means that we are not privileged enough to be a part of what they are and what they know, it means we are alienated and made fun of, it means that as Christians, rejection from the world is desirable, because, it reminds us of something important, it reminds us, to quote the letter of Hebrews: “For we have here no lasting city but seek the city which is to come.”

And, each of these beatitudes, as Christ Himself shows, are our keys to happiness and this is because they not only reflect physical wants, desires, and needs, but also spiritual ones as well.

And, they teach us that we too are the ones who are poor, we too are the ones who are hungry, we too are the ones who are weeping and we too are those who are persecuted and that by having nothing, by lacking strength, by lamenting loss, and by being alienated, we learn the ways of Christ, we learn the path of true happiness and though it is seemingly upside down there is still nothing or no one in the world that can teach this to the same degree. This is why St. John Vianney has said: “Neither wealth, nor honors, nor vanity can make a man happy during his life on earth, but only attachment to the service of God.”

Jesus tells us this is the true key to happiness, that the true living of the beatitudes, the trust, the desire, the lament and the alienation is what will help us, as strange as it may sound, enter the gates and spend eternal life, lasting happiness, eternal happiness with Him in Heaven.

I really enjoy your homilies and writings. Being in Albania - a long way from 'home' - where ever that might actually be now - it is nice and comforting to read these in English and take the time to consider and reflect. please keep including these - thatn you.

Theologian in Training

Cain and Abel
There are many things we can be learned from this story of Cain and Abel, yet, there is one thing, in particular, that seems stand out above the rest, and that is that it teaches us, in great detail, the dynamic of sin and its consequences.

It begins with jealousy, for Cain grew jealous that his brother’s sacrifice was more acceptable to God than his. The jealousy became envy and the envy became rage. And, yet, God saw this and warned Him, and even told Cain to be careful, stating in a very beautiful way what temptation is, saying: “sin is a demon lurking at the door:
his urge is toward you, yet you can be his master.” In other words, he can still conquer that temptation if he chooses to do so.

He doesn’t, rather, he lets the rage fester and takes his brother out into the field and kills him. And, when God questions him, he responds as anyone who has committed sin does, by pretending as though it did not exist, he hides it, or rather tries to. And, after God tells him that He knows what Cain has done, Cain admits his sin and seeks repentance and God grants it to him.

I don’t think there is a clearer way than this of describing what happens to us anytime we sin. For, like Cain temptation enters, and the sin is on the other side of the door, as it were, and it is trying to get in, we then either let it in, or lock the door more tightly. If we let it in, the sin occurs, our initial response, unlike Cain may be guilt or like Cain denial, until finally we admit it and seek forgiveness from God.

And, this we do by entering that confessional, aware of our sins, and speaking them out loud, so that what our conscience accuses of, in the silence of our hearts, those sins that are hidden can be brought forth, dug out of the ground, as it were, and laid before God seeking His mercy and repentance.

And, just like Cain He does it give it to us, and it is available all the time. In the Gospel they were looking for a sign. In my opinion, the healing mercy and power of forgiveness that flows from the sacrament of reconciliation is probably one of the greatest signs we can be given today. Let us then never miss such a great opportunity, so that, it is not sin on the other side of the door, but Christ Himself who has conquered that sin for us.