An Old School Catholic Message Board

Lord, If You Wish (Will)

Theologian in Training

Theologian in Training

Quick, simple message for Ash Wednesday. Could be better, but I don't know how...so this is what I preached

Today we begin the season of Lent, a time of preparation for the great feast of Easter, a solemn occasion when we remember our own shortcomings, our own failings, our own sins. When we walk up and allow ourselves to be marked with ashes, a sign of our own mortality a sign that we are in constant need of repentance.

And we are asked, as we heard in our first reading to take that seriously, to not just repent, but to turn our very selves, wholeheartedly and without reservation, to the Lord. To rend our very hearts, tear them asunder and allow them to be exposed before the Lord. To show that we not only seek repentance but a full conversion of heart. No matter where we are in our spiritual lives, no matter how far we have come or desire to go, we are invited to go even deeper, we are invited to put away our old ourselves, as it were, and return. For, Even now, says the LORD, return to me.

And we are being asked to return with our whole heart, to return with fasting, with weeping, with mourning, in other words, to show Him that we are serious, show Him that indeed we are willing to live the life He has given us.

It is a challenge, but it is not in vain, for it is meant to sanctify us, to make us holy, to bring us true repentance, and a full and lasting conversion of heart.

Today then, let us begin this challenge and let us take the Lord’s words seriously, for Even now, says the Lord, return to me with your whole heart with fasting, and weeping, and mourning; Rend your hearts, not your garments, and return to the LORD, your God.

Theologian in Training

Tomorrow's Homily...I figure I would post this since I did not have to preach this past Sunday (we had a priest speaking on behalf of Food for the Poor...he was long) Anyway, enjoy!

God’s word is hard as the rain and soft as the snow, and both fall upon the ground, and water it and make it fertile. That is the power of His Word, and believe it or not, we are given the ability to speak that same word over and over again every single day. And, we do so, everytime we use our words and form with them, our prayers.

Jesus said it is not many words but simple words, and what can be more simple and effective than our own prayers, this is why Jesus teaches us that simple prayer that we all know and love: “The Our Father.” For, it is nothing more than a child expressing love to the Father, taking the power of God’s word and simply forming it to express the deepest longing, the deepest expression of our heart. This is why it is not a babbling of many words, but a simple praise of God’s name and an acceptance of His Will.

And we begin calling Him Our Father, our Dad, one of the most personal and intimate names we learn as a child, and this is how we are taught to refer to God. Then we say in confidence that His kingdom will come, and by that, His Will be done. In other words, the fulfillment of the kingdom is God’s Will, and one day Heaven and earth will be one, so that we will always dwell and be near our Father.

And this is our daily bread, this is our hope, that by desiring to be home with our Father, we become homesick and therefore avoid all temptation and constantly seek to be delivered from evil.

So, that God’s word does not return to Him void, but shall achieve His will, the end for which it was sent.