An Old School Catholic Message Board

Church Giving Away Money To Get People To Come?

jasJis

The following is from the Tampa Tribune and it's about a real church that is by my house. Does this sound like a clever way to get people to hear the message, or is it a stunt that will absolutely miss the message?

Be specific with your opinion and give a WHY.

Tampa Tribune 1/21/2004:

VALRICO - On Friday night, one person will go to church - and walk away with $2,004.

``Churches are always asking for money. But we're going to turn it around for this one night and return that blessing,'' says the Rev. Timothy Dyson of the nondenominational Church Alive in Valrico.

Dyson acknowledges the giveaway promotion, which also includes four $24 checks and $2,996 in gift certificates to local businesses, may seem wacky. But these days, he says, it takes creativity to reach out to new members.

This from the minister who roars to services on a Harley- Davidson motorcycle. He's been known to deliver sermons from a boat hauled into the sanctuary, and he set up a boxing ring to fight the demons of drugs and divorce. He's a believer in the ``illustrated sermon,'' using live pigs and smoke machines to tell biblical parables.

``It's the same old-time religion with new technology,'' Dyson, 45, says. ``If you want to appeal to this generation, you've got to appeal to the sight and sound.''

The third-generation preacher with Pentecostal roots and his wife, Sherri, have led the 500-member SunCoast Harvest Center in Bradenton for seven years. Last year, they spotted an empty church complex (the former Crosswalk Church) across from Bloomingdale High School and felt compelled to launch a second congregation.

With a $700,000 investment and support from Faith World, a nondenominational megachurch in Orlando led by gospel musician Clint Brown, they opened Church Alive three months ago. The Dysons juggle duties between the two congregations.

Friday's event begins at 7 p.m. and will include clowns for the kids, a light show and music by Brown. Every visitor gets a ticket; five names will be drawn for the cash giveaway. The top winner gets $2,004, which was donated by an anonymous businessman who shared Dyson's vision.

Virginia Saunders, 33, her husband and their five children are among the 50 or so families attending Church Alive. She likes the idea of the money promotion. But for her, the church's diversity and Dyson himself are draw enough.

``He's very upbeat and interesting. You never know what to expect,'' she says. ``He has a heart for people, and it shows.''

Trish Brackin, 39, a nurse at Memorial Hospital in Tampa, has attended the church with her husband and three children since it opened. She likes the giveaway idea, though she thinks it's a shame it's necessary.

``In this world, so many people aren't saved, and money is their god,'' she says. ``It's a neat way to reach people who are focused on something maybe they shouldn't be focused on.''

Dyson hopes newcomers leave with more than money Friday night. He knows some will come only for the chance to win, but he's optimistic plenty will be inspired to join.

``We're not changing the message,'' he says. ``We're just delivering it in a way to get people's attention.''

---

Reporter Michelle Bearden can be reached at (813) 259-7613. [Please do not call this poor woman. She's just the reporter and it's the policy of the Paper to provide this information.

I don't like it. It makes me wonder if the people who are there because they heard about the money will really get the message that is trying to be given.

Also, going to Mass and receiveing the Eucharist is more than what we sinners deserve. But we are allowed to receive the Eucharist and experience Christ. Is that not gift enough? Is that not reason enough to go to Mass?

I think if people are going for money, they aren't being sincere and may even distract those that are there for the right reasons.

Den of thieves.... pretty sad.

Doing the right thing (getting people to go to Church) for the wrong reason (for money) is just as bad as doing the wrong thing.

That's what raffels are for... but don't do it in the church... but then again, it is a non-denom... less than 30 yrs. old.

Your Servant in Christ,

ironmonk

Edited by ironmonk

Laudate_Dominum

They probably have some good intentions. Maybe they think they will get uninspired people back into their faith. First they have to pay them but eventually they will come on their own kind of thing. I don't think the end justifies the means because it sends a really bad message out. Ack! Actually it's a dreadful thing to do.

the intention is good, but overall it's a pretty lame idea. only a bad pastor would have to buy people to sit in the pews. the parishoners should have paid for their pastor to take some effective preaching classes with all that money.

Didn't Jesus say something about men not being able to serve God and money at the same time?

Surely just going to church to receive money goes directly against this teaching.

Its just another material "hook". I'd like to know the retention % after the money is gone. Its as hollow as anything that is based on materialism.

I hate this, and it actually made me almost physically ill to read it. It cheapens the Gospel and weakens the message. If money is a stronger draw for people than whatever this guy is preaching, he's obviously not preaching the Truth.

PatrickRitaMichael

Sojourner, I agree. The Truth is stronger and more powerful than anything man can come up with (even money!) as long as someone's heart is prepared for it. Just present the Truth and God will draw people to Himself. To think that you have to bribe people to approach God is insulting to Him, imo.

Confessionator741

Blah....

I would like them to do something usefull with the money....like charity, dont give it to somebody just for showing up, thats carp

Confessionator741

HAHA, o man D, guess we could all use some cash, but.....i dunno, i think i would sell the clothes on my back than to go there.....

on the other hand, its not like im getting payed to recieve the Eucharist, id be getting payed to listen to some self proclaimed minister talk about the gospel. As long as he say against the Chruch, i guess i could be cool with that....

the concept of it is still wrong....

littleflower+JMJ

over here theres a BIG billboard poster saying if you join their church or go to a service you get this like "national best-seller" novel......

:unsure: now one question......

does it have color pictures? :ph34r:

Lot's of knee jerking, but little head bobbing. :P

Isn't God all about Loving and Blessing us? Isn't one reason (besides giving Glory to God) we accept and hear the Word of God is the Blessings it brings us? Isn't this pastor's message about recieving blessings from God, who gives us EVERYTHING anyways. Doesn't it seem like he's trying to overcome the message that Church is just a way we give money to God?

I think it's a little harsh to claim he's a bad pastor and having to 'buy' people to come. From what I read, he's a dynamic speaker and respected enough to get financed.

Socal has a good point about the retention %. What if 40 extra people showed up and 10% are still attending 3 months later. What bearing would that have?

Soj. Does it cheapen the Gospel? Isn't there Scripture that says that God will more than repay 100% what we give? Isn't the message also that God gives us Gifts of Grace that are undeserved?

PMR, Jesus preached in the Temple, on the beach, and in fields. He went to were people are, like a shepherd searching for the lost sheep. He doesn't just stand and shout.

Confessionator. That's enlightening to me, I hadn't thought of it that way. Catholics shudder initially because our services (Mass) are so much more. When viewed as preaching without the Eucharist, it does seem more palatable.