An Old School Catholic Message Board

Who Can Help Me?

Desire

Hallo

I'm from Austria and I know I have a vocation. But I have a big problem , too. Here in Austria and Germany the most communities are liberal. It isn't easy to find a cloister that is really "catholic".
I'm searching for a long time ago and the desire in my heart grows from day to day. My father confessor said, he knows not realy a good catholic community für me. It is so hard!

The other problem is, that I receive the holy communion on knees and with the mouth. Many communities don't accept this. For me is it very important, it was my free decision!

I love this forum and I love the wonderful communities in our country. Unfortunately it is impossible for me to enter, because I`m not from the states.

I'm so sad, please pray for me and for Gods will in my life.

Excuse me please for my bad and wrong english, I hope you understand me nevertheless.

God bless you

Desire

What about this one, visited by one of our members in the netherlands:
[url="http://www.abtei-st-hildegard.de/english/"]http://www.abtei-st-hildegard.de/english/[/url]
it is near Frankfurt. I have never been to europe so I do not know how close that would be to you.

Hello hon and welcome! Iam just wondering did you try the Cistercian abby near Munich? The oma I was staying with has a best friend who is the mother superior there...I thinks its called oberschoenenfeld and it looks really nice. I was suppose to visit the Benedictine mentioned near Frankfurt as well but it didn't happen. I did get a chance to visit St Teresa Benedicta's Carmel in Koln which is beautiful yet completely full. Lastly, its possible for someone from overseas to enter a monastery here in the states....It happens all the time. Prayers for you

[url="http://www.abtei-oberschoenenfeld.de/"]http://www.abtei-oberschoenenfeld.de/[/url]

Edited by Marieteresa

Guten tag, Desire! Willkommen! (I took German in HS and am German/Irish/Croatian American ^_^ ) I highly recommend the Sisters of Bethlehem who have a monastery in Germany. We have a pretty long thread about them about here - [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=56995"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=56995[/url]

They are different than many communities, in that they have both a Western and Eastern spirituality, with the icons and everything, (though the Carthusians, which they are very similar to with St. Bruno, also have the icons, but are more Western, with a Latin Office) Their Office and Mass are primarily in the vernacular, with some Latin and sometimes a little Herbrew & Greek, and is the Byzantine Office (though I believe it's their own particular Office, approved by Rome, as the Carthusians have their own office also) Then their Mass is the regular Mass of Pope Paul VI, but with more silence and a few different elements.

They do receive Holy Communion on the tongue, though I didn't see them kneeling, but that may be an option.

I would highly recommend visiting their monastery, and you could ask them about other good orthodox communities in Germany too - which I'm sure they could help you with.

They are truly a wonderful monastic community. And they have this discernment retreat every year at the monastery in Les Montsvoirons, near Geneva, in France, called the Evangelical Month (sounds slightly protestant, but it's not at all, totally solid Catholic).

I went in 2003, and I believe it was the best month I have ever had in my life! It's is such a beautiful retreat! I can't recommend it enough! The conferences were given in French, but all the retreatants from different nationalities had a translator for everything, and it was so incredibly organized. Each retreatant has their own cell, and lots of time in solitude. The conferences are given by the Mother Prioress, Sr. Isabelle, and a few by the Father Prior, through a speaker that each retreatant has in their cell. Then there are times when everyone is together for the Liturgy and Mass in the Church, and other times for adoration, and gatherings for talks, and a couple slideshows - I remember one was of the different places in the Holy Land, where different important events of our Faith took place, like Mount Tabor and the room where the Annunciation was supposed to have happened. And then there was a slideshow about the history of their order, the Monastic Family of Bethlehem of the Assumption of the Virgin and of St. Bruno.

The Sisters in Livingston Manor, NY invited me after my first visit to their monastery in 2003. I wasn't really sure if this was the order God was calling me to, but the Superior, Sr. Amena said this retreat is for everyone discerning their vocation, not only specifically to the Monastic Family of Bethlehem. It is such a beautiful retreat, I can hardly find the words ... I am thinking of going again this year, unless Our Lord has other plans.

There were definitely some sisters from Germany there, I remember & one discerner I remember was from Austria. I was the only American, though there were a few Canadians - but actually I felt really at home with all the people there. The sisters are incredibly friendly. And each retreatant gets what they call an "angel" whom you can talk with personally to ask questions and everything. I got Sr. Marie d'Aire, who was French but spoke English very well, and she was awesome to talk with! Then my translator was a sister from England, from one of the French monasteries.

Even if you are pretty sure you're not called to this community, I still highly recommend this retreat. It gives a whole overview of salvation history, and is great formation for the contemplative life. I remember so many things to this day, that I didn't know before the retreat. Each day covers a different part of salvation history, Sacred Scripture, and other topics relating to monastic life. It's starts with the existence of the Trinity before time & the world, the angels & their Fall, Creation of man, & our Fall, and everything that led up to God's plan of salvation in Christ, though not in every detail, just an overview - like the prophets, Abrahman .. Moses (and relates them to the contemplative life of faith & prayer) And within the month, they celebrate one day as Christmas, and then even have a Holy Week. Their celebration, if celebration is the right word .., of Good Friday in the middle of August, was really my most prayerful "Good Friday" ever. And yes, it's always in the month of August, with the feast of the Assumption right in the middle - the main patronage of their order. And they do not ask for any payment for this retreat. It is just that you have to pay for your plane ticket, but maybe it would not require a plane ticket for you, or least would be much less traveling to get to. I flew to NY and then to Gevena, and they picked me up right at the airport, with a big sign with my name on it. :j

Here is the address of the monastery in Germany, and here is a link to a page I found of them - [url="http://www.dabakus.de/home/stmichael/ausfluege6.htm"]http://www.dabakus.de/home/stmichael/ausfluege6.htm[/url]

Kloster Marienheide
Wollstein (diocese of Fulda)
D- 37284 Waldkappel
Tel: 49/(0) 56 56 923 931

God bless you in your discernment! And yes, as was mentioned before, you can join a monastery in the States even if you're not an American. I've only heard of one myself, where you are required to be a US citizen - the Passionists in Whitesville, KY. There are probably others, but each monastery/order is different. So I would write/call and ask.

Edited by Margaret Clare

But I wanted to add, though the sisters did not ask for anything for this retreat, me and my family did decide to give them a donation. It was a whole month long retreat, and they even picked me up and drove me to the airport. What a great spirit they have. But really, they do not ask for anything.

VeniteAdoremus

Have you considered the Order of St. John? I know one of their brothers who is from Austria, and I know of an active sister who's now in France. There are brothers active in Austria, I don't know about any sisters...

Desire I will so positivly pray for you and since I don't know of any orders in europe I will pray twice as hard. Just remember that you can receive so much grace from this time of waiting and uncertainty. God bless you Desire

Marge

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1179565' date='Jan 29 2007, 04:43 PM']
Have you considered the Order of St. John? I know one of their brothers who is from Austria, and I know of an active sister who's now in France. There are brothers active in Austria, I don't know about any sisters...
[/quote] Guten Tag! (correction from my previous Guten tag, I forget in German you always capitalize nouns, :j ) Yeah, the Community of St. John are great too. They're related to the Monastic Family of Bethlehem, if that's the right word. Their founders knew each other, and they have many similaries. It's just that the Srs of Bethlehem really follow the way of St. Bruno, like the Carthusian Nuns, while the Contemplative Srs of St. John have the great St. John the Evangelist as their Father, and live a more communal life, but also with a lot of time for silence and solitude. And also they have much more of a focus on study and search for truth than the Bethlehem family ...

[url="http://www.stjean.com"]www.stjean.com[/url]

Edited by Margaret Clare

[quote name='Marieteresa' post='1179413' date='Jan 29 2007, 09:20 PM']

[url="http://www.abtei-oberschoenenfeld.de/"]http://www.abtei-oberschoenenfeld.de/[/url]
[/quote]

Oberschoenenfeld is near Augsburg... I´ve been there a few times... :)

From the pictures I say from oberschonenfeld it looks beautiful! Meine oma took so many pictures from her retreat there. Although I was told that they are usually booked. I so wish I could go and visit!

[quote name='Desire' post='1179376' date='Jan 29 2007, 01:36 PM']
Hallo

I'm from Austria and I know I have a vocation. But I have a big problem , too. Here in Austria and Germany the most communities are liberal. It isn't easy to find a cloister that is really "catholic".
I'm searching for a long time ago and the desire in my heart grows from day to day. My father confessor said, he knows not realy a good catholic community für me. It is so hard!

The other problem is, that I receive the holy communion on knees and with the mouth. Many communities don't accept this. For me is it very important, it was my free decision!

I love this forum and I love the wonderful communities in our country. Unfortunately it is impossible for me to enter, because I`m not from the states.

I'm so sad, please pray for me and for Gods will in my life.

Excuse me please for my bad and wrong english, I hope you understand me nevertheless.

God bless you

Desire
[/quote]

Welcome to Phatmass!

With your desire for the religious life, your dedication to Our Lord in the Eucharist (always receive Him on your knees and on the tongue ~ Don't let anyone tell you that you can't!): He will lead you to a good home in His time. I'm sure you are very close to His Heart and your good intentions will go a long way if you keep searching.

We will be praying for you!

Lauren

P.S.: I had a fellow sister when I was in a monastery of Poor Clares who became a citizen after being in the monastery for six years. If you are called to an American community, I'm sure there is a way for you to become a citizen. Obviously you already have the language down quite well!

P.P.S.: I lived in Germany for the first three years of my life; my father was in the Army and we were stationed in Hannou :)

Edited by Totus Tuus

[quote name='Totus Tuus' post='1179755' date='Jan 29 2007, 07:43 PM'] With your desire for the religious life, your dedication to Our Lord in the Eucharist (always receive Him on your knees and on the tongue ~ Don't let anyone tell you that you can't!): He will lead you to a good home in His time. I'm sure you are very close to His Heart and your good intentions will go a long way if you keep searching.
[/quote] Yeah, this is the best way to receive Our Lord. I wish I could receive Him everyday like this. Only I feel I have to stand like everyone else in an ordinary church that doesn't have a communion rail .. I wish someday the Church will entirely go back to this practice. Yeah, I am really attracted to orders that receive Our Lord kneeling and on the tongue. This is really the most important moment of your life. Last time I went to St. John Cantius for Sunday Mass, I was particularly touched by the great reverence they have there, and was so happy to receive Holy Communion at the rail .. please God, bring the whole Church back to this ..

I really cannot remember if the Srs of Bethlehem in Livingston Manor are kneeling or standing when they receive Holy Communion. Possibly standing. They are not behind a grill, as they do not have Papal Enclosure, to let you know. I really do like Papal Enclosure a lot myself, and receiving Holy Communion kneeling at the grill from a priest. I still really love the Monastic Family of Bethlehem however. And I do particularly like how they have a full half of an hour after Mass for thanksgiving ...

Anyway, you are in mine and everyone's prayers. God bless you!

srmarymichael

Also, an option would be to contact the Community of the Beatitudes. I don't think they have a cloister, but they could probably send you in the right direction.

We'll be praying for you!

One of our Sisters lived in Vienna for 2 years. She might know of a cloister that would be what you're looking for. Is the cloistered life what your calling is?

[quote name='Margaret Clare' post='1179791' date='Jan 29 2007, 08:21 PM']
Yeah, this is the best way to receive Our Lord. I wish I could receive Him everyday like this. Only I feel I have to stand like everyone else in an ordinary church that doesn't have a communion rail .. I wish someday the Church will entirely go back to this practice. Yeah, I am really attracted to orders that receive Our Lord kneeling and on the tongue. This is really the most important moment of your life. Last time I went to St. John Cantius for Sunday Mass, I was particularly touched by the great reverence they have there, and was so happy to receive Holy Communion at the rail .. please God, bring the whole Church back to this ..
[/quote]

Margaret Clare,

You may already know, but the universal "norm" for receiving Holy Communion [i]is[/i] kneeling. No person has the authority to tell you not to receive Him kneeling, even if there is no communion rail. I understand if this is not something you are comfortable with, but I know it is often a misconception that we are not [i]allowed[/i] to do this ~ We are!

^_^

To all

Thank you very much for your wonderful questions. I'm very blessed and I feel Jesus touched my heart .
I want to answer tomorrow, because it is late now and I must go to bed, because the Holy mass tomorrow is at 7:00 clock. It is so important for me to receive Jesus at the beginning of the day.

You are all in my prayers.

In Jesus

Desire