An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Mormon President?

The Joey-O

Could You Vote in a Mormon President?  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I wanted to ask this question, not because I believe that it would reveal our prejudices (which it could), nor because I want to speak about Mitt Romney. Rather, I wanted to ask whether there is indeed something suspicious or sinister about Mormonism in general that we would find a Mormon President to carry on in his presidency. I've heard rumors that the Mormon leadership has a great deal of political influence in Utah and Idaho, and I've heard that the same Mormon leadership influences Mormon businessmen to perform unethical things to gain further influence and money. Now, these are rumors and are, as far as I know, totally unfounded. However, for some reason, I am inclined to believe them. I want to hear other people's thoughts on this issue to "clear the air".

In Christ,
JoeyO.

[quote name='Revprodeji' post='1200490' date='Feb 19 2007, 03:31 PM']This gov't is not ours[/quote]

True, but I have a responsibility to transform whatever institutions that I participate in for the better, whether that institution be social, economic, political or familial.

My opinion...who cares what the President's religion is? I was under the impression that there wasn't a religious litmus test in order to run for public office. The only things I take into consideration are:

1. Is this person qualified to be the President of the US?
2. Does this person have integrity? Is he/she honest? Consistent? Competent?
3. Will this person protect life from it's beginning to its natural end?
4. What are this person's other views? Are they consistent with Church teaching? Will they lead this country in a better/safer direction.

If a mormon or a Jew or a Muslim or a Catholic or a Buddhist happens to come out looking good after examining them through those 4 steps, then they're getting my vote. The name of their Church/house of worship makes no difference to me. Its the same reason I didn't vote for Kerry in the last election...so what if he's Catholic? What does that mean, especially if he/she doesn't even vote in line with their so-called Catholic/Christian beliefs?

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1201209' date='Feb 20 2007, 02:03 AM']I don't think this nation is ready for more than 1 First Lady at a time.[/quote]

Wow, that could've been humorous if it wasn't completely narrowminded and ignorant.

Check out the [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmunds_Act"]Edmunds Act[/url], my friend.

Polygamy happens but it is a felony.

We really shouldn't be disrespectful of other people's religions. Afterall, how mad do we get when someone makes a pedophile-priest joke?

Edited by kujo

[quote name='Revprodeji' post='1201204' date='Feb 20 2007, 04:29 AM']oh cute...you think you have a say or control..

I wanna pinch ur lil cheeks right now[/quote]

This thread went to weird-land in no time!

I agree that we shouldn't judge a candidates presidential quality based on his/her religion. I have two Mormon friends that are people of tromendous character. My question isn't "Should we persecute Mormons?". I guess my question is two-fold: 1) Are the rumors that I've heard about the Mormon hierarchy true? And, 2) If they are, what does that mean for voting in a Mormon president?

oh, sorry Paddington. I should explain for you

Joey-O is a long time friend, and a groomsman at my wedding. We went to an evangelical protestant school together (I am still doing time there, Joey has gone on to St. Thomas CSMA)

Before college I was active duty for a special ops groups that has access to information that a conspircy theorist like my dear Fluffy Joey would probably cut off his tiny toe for. So when I make a comment like that I am pre-stating the obvious that I know things that Joey would desire to know. One of the jokes of course is that the pres doesnt do anything and is just a figure head to distract from the real authortity. That is the joke I was playing into right there. I have seen deployments, I have the blood of many on my hands, and I am apathetic in political matters. Joey listens to MPR and is a news-addict.

[quote name='Revprodeji' post='1201401' date='Feb 20 2007, 02:00 PM']oh, sorry Paddington. I should explain for you

Joey-O is a long time friend, and a groomsman at my wedding. We went to an evangelical protestant school together (I am still doing time there, Joey has gone on to St. Thomas CSMA)[/quote]

:) That is awesome!

[quote name='Revprodeji' post='1201401' date='Feb 20 2007, 02:00 PM'].................I am apathetic in political matters. Joey listens to MPR and is a news-addict.[/quote]

Thanks for explaining. And sorry if I was rude. :)

• 1 year later...
Thomist-in-Training

I discussed Romney with a woman I know who is very clever and an Opus Dei numerary and our consensus was, "It's not so much that Mormonism is weird, which it is... it's more that, if you BELIEVE Mormonism is true, it says something about you as a person."

Now, my next-door neighbors are Mormon and I wouldn't necessarily say the above about the ones who are teenage or younger. But forty- or fifty-year-olds, in the usual run of things, should have had enough chances to notice something odd about their 'faith.'