An Old School Catholic Message Board

"carmelites Of Adoration"

Gemma

They're supposedly connected to St. Mary's Church in Alexandria.

Any Minnesotans hear of this group?

Blessings,
Gemma

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Gemma' post='1209855' date='Mar 7 2007, 11:53 AM']They're supposedly connected to St. Mary's Church in Alexandria.

Any Minnesotans hear of this group?

Blessings,
Gemma[/quote]

Hischild posted [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=58540&st=0&p=1086769&#entry1086769"]this below[/url]

"Finally Lake Elmo, MN, which I didn't visit, but spoke a few times with Mother Rose there. They are supposed to be an exceptionally great community also. I believe it was Mother Miriam who also recommended this place. They have a lot of land and are in a very very quiet area. They also have an awesome Carmelite order right near them, the Hermits of the Blessed Virgin Mary, who come for the Sacraments and give them spiritual direction and retreats."

AlterDominicus

Never heard of them, does anyone know if they are habited???

[MN is a rareity in that category]

[quote name='AlterDominicus' post='1209934' date='Mar 7 2007, 01:06 PM']Never heard of them, does anyone know if they are habited???

[MN is a rareity in that category][/quote]
If you write to thees friars [url="http://www.decorcarmeli.com/Hermits.htm"]http://www.decorcarmeli.com/Hermits.htm[/url] , i am sure they can tell you about those Sisters and there life. these hermit- Friars are traditional and next door as Confessors to a Carmel of Nuns.

I have never heard of the Alexandria, MN Carmelites. I tried several of my Carmelite resources, but to no avail. I didn't write the quote listed above, as I've never spoken to Mother Rose. Perhaps it was MargaretClare who wrote it?

The link that EJames provided is for the Lake Elmo friars. They are 2 1/2 hours away from Alexandria.

I've written a Carmelite Hermit I know, who has known about almost every community I've inquired. When she writes me back, I'll share what she says, even if it's to say she doesn't know that community. God bless!

AccountDeleted

[quote name='HisChild' post='1212505' date='Mar 12 2007, 09:21 AM']I have never heard of the Alexandria, MN Carmelites. I tried several of my Carmelite resources, but to no avail. I didn't write the quote listed above, as I've never spoken to Mother Rose. Perhaps it was MargaretClare who wrote it?

The link that EJames provided is for the Lake Elmo friars. They are 2 1/2 hours away from Alexandria.

I've written a Carmelite Hermit I know, who has known about almost every community I've inquired. When she writes me back, I'll share what she says, even if it's to say she doesn't know that community. God bless![/quote]

My apologies - it was MargaretClare who posted that - follow the link to see her post. I didn't know how to edit my original post to change it - sorry.

Nunsense, no worries! I was just clarifying, in case someone wanted to write me/her off thread. ;)

I did receive a response back from the Carmelite sister I know, and here is her response:

As for the Carmelites of Adoration in Alexandria, MN (St. Cloud Diocese), they
are listed in the diocesan directory under "Miscellaneous" - and NOT
under convents. There are only 2 people there, and I had communication
with them years ago. The impression others have is similar to my own.
There is something odd.... I wouldn't recommend them. Also I question if
they have obtained permission from Carmel to be titled "Carmelite". It
would seem wisest to inquire only into places that have a solid
foundation, in the interest of protecting one's vocation...

I don't know if that helps at all, as I've had no experience with them. Ok, now. . .back to lurking :-D

[quote name='nunsense' post='1212660' date='Mar 12 2007, 05:33 PM']My apologies - it was MargaretClare who posted that - follow the link to see her post. I didn't know how to edit my original post to change it - sorry.[/quote]
We can't edit posts after 1/2-1 hour after posting them. You can, however, PM a phorum moderator and ask him to edit it for you :)

[quote name='HisChild' post='1213333' date='Mar 13 2007, 11:28 PM']As for the Carmelites of Adoration in Alexandria, MN (St. Cloud Diocese), they
are listed in the diocesan directory under "Miscellaneous" - and NOT
under convents. There are only 2 people there, and I had communication
with them years ago. The impression others have is similar to my own.
There is something odd.... I wouldn't recommend them. Also I question if
they have obtained permission from Carmel to be titled "Carmelite". It
would seem wisest to inquire only into places that have a solid
foundation, in the interest of protecting one's vocation...[/quote]

Sounds very questionable; I wonder how we could find out if the Carmelite Order did give them permission to be called "Carmelite" (if I'm reading this correctly, Mother doesn't know if they did or not, right?)

Having only two people there is not necessarily a reason to be skeptical, but this definitely sounds like one of those "communities" doing its own thing (as opposed to Rome's) :rolleyes:

Mother definitely gave good advice in saying "it would seem wisest to inquire only into places that have a solid foundation, in the interest of protecting one's vocation". This is oft-repeated advice given by wise nuns ^_^

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Totus Tuus' post='1213421' date='Mar 14 2007, 06:54 AM']Sounds very questionable; I wonder how we could find out if the Carmelite Order did give them permission to be called "Carmelite" (if I'm reading this correctly, Mother doesn't know if they did or not, right?)

Having only two people there is not necessarily a reason to be skeptical, but this definitely sounds like one of those "communities" doing its own thing (as opposed to Rome's) :rolleyes:

Mother definitely gave good advice in saying "it would seem wisest to inquire only into places that have a solid foundation, in the interest of protecting one's vocation". This is oft-repeated advice given by wise nuns ^_^[/quote]

I thought that a community was suppressed if the numbers dropped to three for over six months? I could have this wrong, but unless this is a new community, it seems unusual that there are only two nuns in it.

The only thing I could think of is to write the Diocese of St Cloud and ask the Vicar of vocations there what their status is. If they are a new group, they could simply have started with two and haven't progressed. They could merely be a private association (and I put that with small letters to indicate they haven't even sought official status yet, until they've become more than 2). I'm not sure about the Carmelite status, because they could be attempting to affiliate themselves with the OCD or the OCarm. . .hard telling. And of course, since they don't have a website, it makes it difficult to know anything about them at all. But they DO have an address and phone, if one simply wants to write and/or call!

Blessed Thursday all!

Edited by HisChild

[quote name='nunsense' post='1213882' date='Mar 14 2007, 10:44 PM']I thought that a community was suppressed if the numbers dropped to three for over six months? I could have this wrong, but unless this is a new community, it seems unusual that there are only two nuns in it.[/quote]

Well, not necessarily, although I'm not sure what you mean by "suppressed"; for example, the same thing happened to the Lockport Dominicans, because four (I believe) sister passed away within a very short period of time, leaving the monastery with only two professed sisters.

[quote name='HisChild' post='1214036' date='Mar 15 2007, 10:35 AM']And of course, since they don't have a website, it makes it difficult to know anything about them at all. But they DO have an address and phone, if one simply wants to write and/or call!
Blessed Thursday all![/quote]

Yeah, definitely ^_^ We'd be better off if we just called and spoke with them ourselves :) Any volunteers?

• 4 weeks later...
Chiquitunga

Hi guys! Yep, that quote is from me!

I have never heard of this new group of adoration carmelites, but just the Discalced Carmelite Nuns in Lake Elmo, MN.

They are a very good Carmel and have the Carmelite hermits nearby as chaplains. Their monastery is very plain, and has a particular spirit of poverty and simplicity to it, as Mother Rose explained to me. I heard of them being a great Carmel from Mother Miriam at Buffalo.
They've had a lot of young vocations within the last 5 years or so, and are in a very quiet area. Their name, Carmel of OL of Divine Providence, was given by St. Pio actually. :j