An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Few Of The Many Things That I Wish Would Be Restored

Laudate_Dominum

Laudate_Dominum

[b]ASPERGES ME[/b]
[i]Sung at High Masses throughout the year[/i]

[color="#696969"][i]While the priest sprinkles holy water before solemn High Mass on Sundays and special Feasts, the following anthem is sung:[/i][/color]

[color="#000080"]Asperges me, Domine, hyssopo, et mundabor: lavabis me, et super nivem dealbabor.
Ps. Miserere mei, Deus, secundum magnam misericordiam tuam.
V. Gloria Patri, et Filio, et Spiritui Sancto. Sicut erat in principio et nunc et semper et in saecula saeculorum. Amen.
Antiphona. Asperges me, Domine...
V. Ostende nobis, Domine, misericordiam tuam.
R. Et salutare tuum da nobis.
V. Domine, exaudi orationem meam.
R. Et clamor meus ad te veniat.
V. Dominus vobiscum.
R. Et cum spiritu tuo.

Oremus.- Exaudi nos, Domine sancte, Pater omnipotens, aeterne Deus, et mittere digneris sanctum Angelum tuum de coelis, qui custodiat, foveat, protegat, visitet atque defendat omnes habitantes in hoc habitaculo. Pro Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen. [/color]

[i]Thou shalt sprinkle me, O Lord, with hyssop, and I shall be cleansed; Thou shalt wash me, and I shall become whiter than snow.
Ps. Have mercy on me, O God, according to Thy great mercy.
V. Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost. As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be world without end. Amen.
Antiphon. Thou shalt sprinkle me . . .

V. Show us, O Lord, Thy mercy.
R. And grant us Thy salvation.
V. O Lord, hear my prayer.
R. And let my cry come before Thee.
V. The Lord be with you.
R. And with thy spirit.

Let us pray. - Hear us, O holy Lord, almighty Father, everlasting God, and vouchsafe to send Thy holy Angel from heaven, to guard, cherish, protect, visit and defend all that are assembled in this place: through Christ our Lord. Amen. [/i]

[b]VIDI AQUAM[/b]
[color="#696969"][i]Sung at High Masses from Easter to Whitsunday [/i][/color]

[color="#000080"]Vidi aquam egredientem de templo a latare dextro, alleluia: et omnes ad quos pervenit aqua ista salvi facti sunt et dicent: alleluia, alleluia.
Ps. Confitemini Domino, quoniam bonus: quoniam in saeculum misericordia eius.
V. Gloria Patri, et Filio, et Spiritui Sancto. Sicut erat in principio et nunc et semper et in saecula saeculorum. Amen.

Antiphona. Vidi aquam...

V. Ostende nobis, Domine, misericordiam tuam. Alleluia
R. Et salutare tuum da nobis. Alleluia.
V. Domine, exaudi orationem meam.
R. Et clamor meus ad te veniat.
V. Dominus vobiscum.
R. Et cum spiritu tuo.

Oremus.- Exaudi nos, Domine sancte, Pater omnipotens, aeterne Deus, et mittere digneris sanctum Angelum tuum de coelis, qui custodiat, foveat, protegat, visitet atque defendat omnes habitantes in hoc habitaculo. Pro Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen. [/color]

[i]I saw water flowing from the right side of the temple, alleluia; and all they to whom that water came were saved; and they shall say: alleluia, alleluia.
Ps. Praise the Lord, because He is good; because His mercy endureth forever.
V. Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost. As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be world without end. Amen.

Antiphon. I saw water flowing . . .

V. Show us, O Lord, Thy mercy. Alleluia
R. And grant us Thy salvation. Alleluia.
V. O Lord, hear my prayer.
R. And let my cry come before Thee.
V. The Lord be with you.
R. And with thy spirit.

Let us pray. - Hear us, O holy Lord, almighty Father, everlasting God, and vouchsafe to send Thy holy Angel from heaven, to guard, cherish, protect, visit and defend all that are assembled in this place: through Christ our Lord. Amen.[/i]

[color="#696969"][i]After the ASPERGES ME or VIDI AQUAM, the priest ascends the altar. [/i][/color]

[b]Psalm 43 - JUDICA ME[/b]

[color="#000080"]V. Iudica me, Deus, et discerne causam meam de gente non sancta: ab homine iniquo, et doloso erue me.
R. Quia tu es Deus fortitudo mea: quare me repulisti, et quare tristis incedo, dum affligit me inimicus?
R. Emitte lucem tuam, et veritatem tuam: ipsa me deduxerunt, et adduxerunt in montem sanctum tuum et in tabernacula tua.
R. Et introibo ad altare Dei: ad Deum qui laetificat iuventutem meam.

V. Confitebor tibi in cithara, Deus, Deus meus: quare tristis es anima mea, et quare conturbas me?
R. Spera in Deo, quoniam adhuc confitebor illi: salutare vultus mei, et Deus meus.

V. Gloria Patri, et Filio et Spiritui Sancto.
R. Sicut erat in principio, et nunc, et semper: et in saecula saeculorum. Amen. [/color]

[i]V. Judge me, O God, and distinguish my cause from the nation which is not holy: deliver me from the unjust and deceitful man.
R. For Thou, O God, art my strength: why hast Thou cast me off? and why go I sorrowful whilst the enemy afflicteth me?
V. Send forth Thy light and Thy truth: they have conducted me and brought me unto Thy holy mount, and into Thy tabernacles.
R. And I will go into the altar of God: to God who giveth joy to my youth.

V. To Thee, O God, my God, I will give praise upon the harp; why art thou sad, O my soul, and why dost thou disquiet me?
R. Hope in God, for I will still give praise to Him: the salvation of my countenance and my God.

V. Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost.
R. S. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen. [/i]

[color="#696969"][i]The priest repeats the anthem:[/i][/color]

[color="#000080"]V. Introibo ad altare Dei.
R. Ad Deum qui laetificat iuventutem meam. [/color]

[i]V. I will go in unto the altar of God.
R. To God who giveth joy to my youth.[/i]

[color="#696969"][i]Then the priest signs himself again with the Sign of the Cross, saying: [/i][/color]

[color="#000080"]V. Adiutorum nostrum † in nomine Domini.
R. Qui fecit coelum et terram. [/color]

[i]V. Our help † is in the Name of the Lord.
R.Who made Heaven and earth. [/i]

I think that the Pope should restore the old Roman liturgy, but allow it to be celebrated in either Latin or the vernacular languages. Then he should suppress the Pauline Missal.

:)

It is possible, apparently (correct me if I'm wrong, someone told me this and I wasn't sure if they were right) to have the Asperges before mass because it's not actually part of the mass... it'd be like part of an entrance hymn.

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1224335' date='Mar 31 2007, 03:30 PM']I think that the Pope should restore the old Roman liturgy, but allow it to be celebrated in either Latin or the vernacular languages. Then he should suppress the Pauline Missal.

:)[/quote]

I would actually feel the same way if I could be certain that the Traditional Latin Mass would be translated well, and not badly like the English translation of the Novus Ordo Missæ is.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1224355' date='Mar 31 2007, 04:45 PM']I would actually feel the same way if I could be certain that the Traditional Latin Mass would be translated well, and not badly like the English translation of the Novus Ordo Missæ is.[/quote]
You know, the thing is this: the Mass isn't hard to translate. The Latin is actually pretty simple. I think that fact accentuates the problem with our language inclusivity in America...it simply couldn't be a simple, unintended mistranslation, I believe.

[quote name='Raphael' post='1224372' date='Mar 31 2007, 03:58 PM']You know, the thing is this: the Mass isn't hard to translate. The Latin is actually pretty simple. I think that fact accentuates the problem with our language inclusivity in America...it simply couldn't be a simple, unintended mistranslation, I believe.[/quote]

yep

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1224386' date='Mar 31 2007, 05:10 PM']yep[/quote]
At the same time, I believe the Novus Ordo is valid and necessary.

[quote name='Raphael' post='1224391' date='Mar 31 2007, 04:19 PM']At the same time, I believe the Novus Ordo is valid and necessary.[/quote]

I also believe the Novus Ordo Missæ in Laitn to be completely valid and licit (if, of course, said by a validly ordained priest with the correct matter and intent), but am not sure how licit the current translation of the Novus Ordo Missæ into English is (the intentional mistranslations in the current translation are so numerous it's ridiculous).

[quote name='phatcatholic' post='1224433' date='Mar 31 2007, 07:28 PM']i just wish the priest would turn back around, for cryin out loud[/quote]

yes and face the light of the east rather than the darkness of the west...

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1224344' date='Mar 31 2007, 04:37 PM']It is possible, apparently (correct me if I'm wrong, someone told me this and I wasn't sure if they were right) to have the Asperges before mass because it's not actually part of the mass... it'd be like part of an entrance hymn.[/quote]
Yeah, I've experienced it in the Novus Ordo here and there but it seemed truncated somehow and it is no doubt quite rare. The restoration of the Asperges would mean that it would be more or less the norm. It is a most fitting and beautiful way to prepare for the Holy Mass. The symbolism of it alone is to die for.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='phatcatholic' post='1224433' date='Mar 31 2007, 06:28 PM']i just wish the priest would turn back around, for cryin out loud[/quote]
Amen brother.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1224344' date='Mar 31 2007, 04:37 PM']It is possible, apparently (correct me if I'm wrong, someone told me this and I wasn't sure if they were right) to have the Asperges before mass because it's not actually part of the mass... it'd be like part of an entrance hymn.[/quote]
[i]In the Novus Ordo of Pope Paul VI, the Asperges Rite, now called "The Rite of Blessing and Sprinkling Holy Water," may replace the Penitential Rite at any Sunday Mass. It takes on the character of a baptismal remembrance, as seen in the Invitation that precedes any of the three options:
Dear friends, this water will be used to remind us of our baptism. Let us ask God to bless it, and to keep us faithful to the Spirit he has given us.
After this invitation and a brief silent pause, the celebrant may chose any of three prayers of blessing. They begin:
"God our Father, your gift of water brings life and freshness to the earth..."
"Lord God almighty, creator of all life, of body and soul..."
"Lord God almighty, hear the prayers of your people: we celebrate our creation and redemption..."
Prayer number 3 above is reserved for the Easter season, and goes on to recount the events in our salvation history linked to water (e.g. the crossing of the Red Sea, Moses calling forth water from the rock, the Baptism of Christ in the Jordan). Optionally, the celebrant may mix salt with the holy water, where this is customary. The prayer of blessing over the salt recalls the prophet Elisha throwing salt into a spring to purify it (II King 2:19-22).
The rubric then says:

Taking the sprinkler, the priest sprinkles himself and his ministers, then the rest of the clergy and people. He may move through the church for the sprinkling of the people. Meanwhile, an antiphon or another appropriate song is sung. [/i]

Source: [url="http://www.canticanova.com/articles/liturgy/art9p1.htm"]http://www.canticanova.com/articles/liturgy/art9p1.htm[/url]

Laudate_Dominum

Also:

[i]Q: Is it OK to do the traditional asperges before Mass, blessing the people with that beautiful music and prayer, and then simply using the normal penitential rite without sprinkling during Mass? The asperges is mentioned in the General Instruction of the Roman Missal under the sprinkling rite, but the new prayer is very shallow compared to the older prayer. We would love to restore that beautiful experience for our people. -- D.P., New Orleans, Louisiana

A: Before the present reform the asperges, or rite of sprinkling with holy water, was done before the principal Mass every Sunday. It was not considered as being part of the Mass in any way.

The priest would enter dressed in alb, stole and cope. He would intone the antiphon "Asperges me" or during Eastertide the "Vidi acquam" and would sprinkle the altar, the clergy and the assembly with holy water while the choir continued the antiphon. After this he would conclude with a prayer that implored the Father to send his holy angel to protect and defend those present at the Mass.

Having concluded this rite the priest would then go to the "sedilia," or seats at the south side of the sanctuary, remove the cope and vest with the maniple and chasuble for Mass.

The present rite is more closely tied to the Mass itself as well as designedly recalling baptism. Its full title is the "Rite of Blessing and Sprinkling Holy Water." As the title indicates, it does not just involve sprinkling with previously blessed water but the actual rite of blessing itself.

The poverty of the prayers lamented by our correspondent is probably due to a singularly inadequate English translation that greatly impoverishes the Latin original. We can hope that this will be remedied in the new translation currently being prepared.

In this revised rite the priest enters vested for Mass and greets the people in the usual way. After this he introduces the rite with a brief formula and after a brief silence blesses the holy water using one of the formulas proposed in the missal. Where customary, salt may also be added to the newly blessed water, and a brief prayer said.

The priest then sprinkles himself, the ministers and the assembly while an antiphon or other appropriate song is sung.

When he returns to his place the priest says the following prayer: "May almighty God cleanse us of our sins, and through the Eucharist we celebrate make us worthy to sit at his table in his heavenly kingdom." The people respond "Amen."

This prayer suits the new setting of the ceremony, which substitutes the penitential rite, more than the former prayer. The prayer is followed by either the Gloria or the collect of the Mass.

Can the old rite still be used? Even though the asperges was not formally part of the Mass, it was mandated to be held in association with Mass and formed part of the missal. It cannot, therefore, be considered as a simple pious practice.

The fact that it was not continued in that form but rather replaced by the new optional rite is clearly the result of a deliberated choice by Church authority.

For this reason I do not believe that it is a legitimate possibility to simply restore the old rite before the principal Mass every Sunday.

While most parishes would probably not want to hold the new rite of sprinkling every Sunday, it could be done once a month or so, either at the principal Mass or all Masses, or rotating between different Masses on a weekly basis so that the whole parish may experience this rite.

Also, the choir can freely sing the beautiful music of the Latin antiphons that traditionally accompanied the sprinkling rite. [/i]

Source: [url="http://www.zenit.org/english/visualizza.phtml?sid=102905"]http://www.zenit.org/english/visualizza.phtml?sid=102905[/url]

I have no authority to judge either Mass Rite but I know from the Church that both are valid, licit, and holy rites of Mass even though one is very seemingly more solemn, pious, and reverent than the other personifying the teachings of Christ’s Church more fully.

My personal opinion in light of what the Church wishes is not relevant but in light to other faithful, I hope and pray for the traditional rite to be fully restored to bring nourishment for those Catholics seeking something more profound in their faith. Not only this but more...