An Old School Catholic Message Board

Suggestions Please?

SisterAli

Hello phatmass phamily,

I want to apoglize that I haven't been really posting much. But you have all been in my prayers for sure. Recently I've just been lurking and praying for ya'll that have been asking for prayers. I did want to update you a little bit and ask for your suggestions on something that's going on right now in my life.

First of all, if ya'll could pray for my great-grandma she is 94 and was put in hospice. She has Alzhemiers disease, she was put on oxygen, and her kidneys are failing. I haven't been necessarily praying for a recovery, but rather a peaceful death. Your prayers are much appreciated.

Next....I had been in the application process with the Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist, but I dropped out of that and decided that I wanted to look at two other communities that have been on my mind for awhile. Sister Joseph Andrew said to come to the retreat and not have any checklists and I'm afraid that I did...and it was all of my *wants* instead of what the Lord is truly calling me to..(the right community). So...this past weekend my friend (one who is looking at religious life as a brother) told me he was going on a retreat to the Community of St. John...and I heard they had contemplative Sisters there. So I thought, well I've always been curious and secretly interested in contemplative life (although they are NOT cloistered). So I decided to travel along with my friend and I'd be spending my time at the convent and my friend would be right down the road at the monastery. This visit really...really helped my discernment. I didn't know why I was going really, and was VERY nervous...so I just went with an open heart listening for the Lord's voice. I was there Friday-Sunday evening. If you want a PURE contemplative community...poor in spirit, they are the community for you! They are so holy and so humble and poor its amazing. The vocation director said that we probably have more solitude than a normal cloistered community. Which I can believe, because...everything was in silence! So..a lot of things were confirmed during this weekend..as I spend it all in prayer. I realized some of the desires of the Lord for me, rather than my own wants and desires. One being that...the silence is where I truly felt I could *pray* (just silence...no constructed holy hours, just silent prayer..no books, no journaling...(I read in my cell and journaled in my cell) but in the chapel (that has no pews, they pray bending over in a fetal position but the other way (head to the floor)...thats where I prayed )...so I discovered that I truly need that silence when praying....BUT too much silence is just not good for me psychologically...therefore, I came to realize that a community that has a solid contemplative side and maybe a little bit of active work on the side would be a good fit all around for me. I also was VERY VERY attracted to the poor spirit side...sleeping on the floor, simple chapel, simple cell, prayer stools, meals simple, etc...you get the idea :) So...about a year ago I discovered this community in Pennsylvania, called the Capuchin Sisters of Nazareth...and back in Feb. I wrote them and then began contacting the Vocation Director, told her of my discernment and where I was and what other communities I was looking at....I called her the middle of March back..and said I'd like to come and visit. So I'm visiting April 16th-24th. So please please, if you could pray for me! I will probably post right before I leave... :) As my flight leaves at 5am :( Hehe...really EARLY! But I'm very excited...and very nervous :)

So..here's my problem I run into and would like any suggestions that I can get! Please! I had a job interview yesterday for a daycare, because I still have a small amount of debt to get paid off....small, not big. And today they called and said that they would like me to start tomorrow. I did tell them during the interview that I would be out of state from April 16th-27th. But if they would end up hiring me I told them that I could start now, but I would be gone during those two weeks out of state. I didn't give them the reason due partially to the fact that I didn't want to give them too much information and then they might get the idea that I might not continue that job if the Lord calls me to a community. Anyways...so the process for the Capuchin Sisters...is I go and stay for a week...and due to finanical reasons....if I felt that is where the Lord is calling me I would ask to stay for a month. Some go home and come back for a month, but at the time I'm pretty low on money and wouldn't be able to do this, so it would be better if I stayed a month. So I'd stay a month and would be a candidate for there order, and then I would go back home after that month...work and ask for donations for my small debt and then I would enter when my debt is payed off. Granted I live in an area that is FULL of places to work in the summer time...I mean...TONS of jobs here...but..since I have this daycare job...and I end up staying a month...? What do ya'll think? I do work at the movie theatre and my boss is Catholic so he understands my situation...and would allow me to be gone for a month, but this other place..I highly doubt it. Any thoughts, ideas???

Thanks so much for listening to my ramblings....

God Love You,

Allie

hoosieranna

The Capuchin sisters look really cool. I came across their site randomly. If I was Catholic AND discerning, I would definitely look at them.

I don't know what to offer about the work situation. I guess in this case, be glad you have a sympathetic boss. Make your difficulties known. Help can spring from the strangest places. You've got my prayers, for what they're worth. Good luck.

[quote name='Nadezhda' post='1228413' date='Apr 3 2007, 01:14 PM']The Capuchin sisters look really cool. I came across their site randomly. If I was Catholic AND discerning, I would definitely look at them.

I don't know what to offer about the work situation. I guess in this case, be glad you have a sympathetic boss. Make your difficulties known. Help can spring from the strangest places. You've got my prayers, for what they're worth. Good luck.[/quote]

Yes...I will keep in constant prayer as much as I can for this situation....and just TRUST, sometimes I have such a hard time trusting....but I know in the end things will work out. St. Joseph and JPII have been popping up a lot so I think I shall start a novena to them.

Thank you for your prayers. God Reward You!

Allie

cathoholic_anonymous

Prayers for you, Allie.

Remember Sister Joseph Andrew's advice. Just let the beauty of all these different communities wash over you. Soak it all up like a sponge. You can learn something everywhere even if you're not called to be there. Remember that God will bless you richly as long as you have outstretched hands and an open heart. (I should really take my own advice. Grr - I'm so impatient...)

Hopefully things will become clearer for you in time. God bless.

You certainly are in my prayers. Whatever you do, get the debt payed off so you are free to goas you are called.

Divine_Mercy504

Allie,

You are most especially in my prayers at this time as you are struggling to know God's will for you! Have you spoken with the Capuchin Sisters about your situation yet? Vocation directors usually have some good advice on this sorta thing. ;)

I am about 2 hours away from the Capuchin Sisters. Although, I have never had the chance to visit them myself, I have heard WONDERFUL things about them. :)

Prayers!
Rachel

[quote name='Cathoholic Anonymous' post='1228431' date='Apr 3 2007, 01:40 PM']Prayers for you, Allie.

Remember Sister Joseph Andrew's advice. Just let the beauty of all these different communities wash over you. Soak it all up like a sponge. You can learn something everywhere even if you're not called to be there. Remember that God will bless you richly as long as you have outstretched hands and an open heart. (I should really take my own advice. Grr - I'm so impatient...)

Hopefully things will become clearer for you in time. God bless.[/quote]

Thank you Cathoholic Anonymous for your prayers. Hehe, sometimes its so difficult to take our own advice....I've been in that boat before!

God Bless You.

[quote name='Pia' post='1228509' date='Apr 3 2007, 02:57 PM']You certainly are in my prayers. Whatever you do, get the debt payed off so you are free to goas you are called.[/quote]

Yes...I'm striving to try and get the debt payed off as much as I can...it was such a peaceful feeling when I got one loan completely paid off and on the screen it said...your balance is 0 dollars!!!!!!!!! Soon...hopefully that will be the case for my other one! I think that's why I'm going to work as much as I can before I go on this retreat to visit the Sisters...and then if I do end up staying for a month...I will just have to call them and explain at the daycare....and I'm sure other job opportunities will arise. Thanks for the prayers.

God Bless You.

[quote name='sr_betsy' post='1228734' date='Apr 3 2007, 04:10 PM']Will be praying for you Allie. I'm in PA and I have heard of that group.

Blessings!

sr_betsy :)[/quote]

Thanks for the prayers Sister!

[quote name='Divine_Mercy504' post='1228748' date='Apr 3 2007, 04:26 PM']Allie,

You are most especially in my prayers at this time as you are struggling to know God's will for you! Have you spoken with the Capuchin Sisters about your situation yet? Vocation directors usually have some good advice on this sorta thing. ;)

I am about 2 hours away from the Capuchin Sisters. Although, I have never had the chance to visit them myself, I have heard WONDERFUL things about them. :)

Prayers!
Rachel[/quote]

If you have a chance to visit them, I would go and make a retreat there!!! They have a retreat coming up at the end of april. I have spoken briefly with the vocation director about this, but maybe in further detail I should talk with her. Thanks so much.

God Bless You.

Birgitta Noel

Ali, I don't have any advice for you, but I am so glad you were able to visit the Sisters. I am an Oblate with the Community of St. John. They are such a blessing.

You will be in my prayers as you make your decision. :sign:

AccountDeleted

Prayers for your grandmother :bigpray:

As for your discernment and debts...

This poem, found as a bookmark in St. Teresa's prayer book, tells of her complete trust in God.

“Let nothing disturb you,
let nothing cause you fear
All things pass.
God is unchanging.
Patience obtains all:
Whoever has God
needs nothing else.
God alone suffices.”

Or the shortened version, "let go, let God" :rolleyes:

Edited by nunsense

I will pray that everything works out well for you Ali. Also for you grandmother..........that she does not suffer at her great age.God Bless you.

I can't believe it.........I'm leaving in 10 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm a little wee bit nervous about flying.....BUT hopefully things will go okay! I have to change planes once and I have to change an airline. My flight leaves at 5AM! Sooooooo early, but then I'll arrive at a decent time!

Allie,
I think it might be a good idea not to take the day care job since the people who train you will be disappointed if you leave soon after you finally know what you are doing and then they'll have to go through the whole process of hiring and training someone else. Since you have a job at the theater also... Your loan will be paid off easily enough. I heard that Mother Teresa once said, "God has plenty of money!" and He'll send some your way so that you can follow His inspiratons.
God bless you! I'll keep you in prayer. Sister Maria

[quote name='sismaria' post='1232660' date='Apr 6 2007, 05:17 PM']Allie,
I think it might be a good idea not to take the day care job since the people who train you will be disappointed if you leave soon after you finally know what you are doing and then they'll have to go through the whole process of hiring and training someone else. Since you have a job at the theater also... Your loan will be paid off easily enough. I heard that Mother Teresa once said, "God has plenty of money!" and He'll send some your way so that you can follow His inspiratons.
God bless you! I'll keep you in prayer. Sister Maria[/quote]

Sister,

And phellow phatmassers...the daycare job indeed did not fall through very well. My first day was a couple of days ago and they weren't following a bunch of state regulations for the daycare and just many many things that were not safe for the kids unfortnately...so they need prayers. The boss was so upset that I quit and then ranted and raved at me for quiting and how it was dumb for me to be judgemental and critizing, but I wasn't do that...I just didn't want to be stuck in a situation where the state can walk in anytime and lawsuits and whatnot could occur. So I knew I needed to get out right away. It was such a stressful day, but the good Lord helped me get through. Thank you for the prayers.

Also, since I do not have a car, my parents would be driving me back and forth from work...and we discussed further that the job at the movie theater wouldn't work out, therefore, I am just babysitting right now. But since I am leaving in 10 days for a 2 week visit, possibly a month I thought that I would just wait to find a job when I return from Pennsylvania.....God has been working this whole thing of trust with me lately! It's great!

So again, thank you for the encouraging words...Sister and everyone else. Thank you for the prayers. If you would like, you can send prayer requests to my PM and I will bring them with me to my visit and offer a holy hour up for all your dear intentions.

God Bless,

Allie