An Old School Catholic Message Board

Suggestions Please?

SisterAli

[quote name='SisterAli' date='May 15 2007, 12:14 PM' post='1274051']
I would have to agree with you that PA is one of the most naturally beautiful states in the USA. I took a picture and was looking at it on the computer I was like wow...it looks fake that it looks so REAL! Lol....cheesesteak....I dunno about that one....
quote]

Gotta give the cheesesteaks a chance ... they're so good especially when they're authentic!

-- Carmen
(originally from Philly ... now in the 'burbs in NJ).

[quote name='Ora et Labora' post='1274399' date='May 15 2007, 07:04 PM']so, are they always that busy??? :blink:

:lol: sorry, it sounds wrong...but the schedule you gave me sounds like they usually have that schedule. is that true?[/quote]

No....they aren't busy like that. It just makes it sound like it because I put it all together. Remember...they are contemplatives mainly with a day out of the week for ONE of those apostulate's....and the next week they might not have any at all....in the summer they are mainly contemplative and don't do active ministry.

The only thing that I mentioned on the schedule that is ALWAYS the same is the prayer times.....other than that...its very Franciscan to just *go with the flow* and when I was there...I didn't know what I was going to be doing that particular day until after breakfast....basically they are open to what the Holy Spirit is guiding them to on that particular day. Its beautiful the freedom that comes out of that. To not have to worry about what you are going to be doing, except you know you'll be prayin' at the appointed hours :)

be_thou_my_vision

[quote name='SisterAli' post='1274413' date='May 15 2007, 06:32 PM']The only thing that I mentioned on the schedule that is ALWAYS the same is the prayer times.....other than that...its very Franciscan to just *go with the flow* and when I was there...I didn't know what I was going to be doing that particular day until after breakfast....basically they are open to what the Holy Spirit is guiding them to on that particular day. Its beautiful the freedom that comes out of that. To not have to worry about what you are going to be doing, except you know you'll be prayin' at the appointed hours :)[/quote]
Ahhh, gotta love bein' mendicants!

Why did someone mention coagulated milk steaks? Oh Lordy! I know that in the middle of this beautiful discussion, food is not important. But you have not lived until you had an original Philly coagulated milk steak. For my South Jersey friends, I just had a cherry hill Big Johns coagulated milk steak last week....a little taste of heaven!!

AccountDeleted

[quote]From there constitutions on prayer: "The Eucharist is the "beating heart" of the convent where the brides are in union with their Bridegoom and their prayers continually "burn on the altar of their hearts". Here the bride is made one with her Spouse."
(Constitutions)

Another thing I should also add is...they rely totally on God's Providence, meaning....they don't receive money for anything, everything is donated even the food...and the money for the bills to pay. They won't accept money unless there is a need for it. It's amazing how much food they have...considering they don't buy any of it.

I hope this helps some! Ahhh, I'm in love.

Allie[/quote]

Ahhhhhh - love stirs in my heart at your words! :love:

[quote name='nunsense' post='1274479' date='May 15 2007, 09:01 PM']Ahhhhhh - love stirs in my heart at your words! :love:[/quote]

I'm falling in love like you wouldn't even begin to imagine. Jesus has captured my heart.....His fragrence is so intoxicating.... :love:

[quote name='SisterAli' post='1272979' date='May 14 2007, 10:09 AM']Peace! These are indeed the Capuchin Sisters of Nazareth, they just moved into this new convent of November of last year, which is the formation house for postulants (Williamsport, PA). So currently there are 2 professed and 4 postulants in that convent. They both are very very much affiliated. The formation house for novices and professed are in Tunkhannock, PA.

Sister talked about that hermit priest and I frankly can't remember his name now....but he is amazing :) You could always call the convent and ask :)
It's a wonderful place! I too.....love simplicity/poverty...beautiful!
There is so much beauty there with the mountains and valley and nature...wow..!
Thank you! A love affair....is definately what started to happen in my heart there....a very very deep love affair!!
Thank you ;) Hope you and the fam are doing well! As to the schedule...I'll post the schedule of the postulants because I don't know the professed schedule but most of it is the same!

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday

6:00am Rise
6:15am-8am Morning Prayer and Eucharistic Holy Hour
8am- Mass
8:45ish-Breakfast (the meal times are like there recreation time...they talk at the meals and there's no real set time limit on when the meal ends, whenever the Superior says so :) Then dishes (we sing praise and worship songs usually when doing dishes)
9:30am- 11:45am Class/Manual Labor/Apostalate (Depends on the day)
Noon- Midday prayer
then lunch, dishes
1:15pm-4:40pm-Class/Manual Labor/Apostulate
4:45pm-6pm - Evening Prayer and Eucharistic Holy Hour
Supper usually goes til 7:30-8pm.....communal time to talk about different things, then dishes
8:30pm-Nighttime Prayer then Grand Silence
2am- Office of Readings (Vigil) last for about 20 minutes then you go back to bed and the bell will ring again at 6am....(I thought this would be hard, but it really wasn't, your body adjust to it, and it actually was a very powerful thing for me...to know that at 2am college students and others are probably doing things they shouldn't be doing, therefore, we offer up that sacrifice for 20 minutes to pray for those people.

Monday is usually Manual Labor Day
Tuesday is usually class day
Wednesday is usually class day or sometimes take a hike...have a community day
Thursday is singing practice day
Saturday is cleaning day

Friday is basically a day of prayer like a desert day....they fast only on bread and soup on Friday and Wednesday's.
On Friday's you have the same prayer schedule and eating times, except after supper on Friday's you can say Night Prayer and go to bed to get caught up on sleep if need be, so you could be in bed by 7pm if you wanted to be :) The same is on Wednesday (Wednesday is a fasting day on bread and soup and the evening meal is in silence to medidate upon the Gospel that is read at the beginning of the meal and after supper you can go say night time prayer and be in bed by 7pm)

Friday you get to sleep in til 7am. This is true also for Sunday.

I hope this helps! Let me know of anymore questions!

God Bless,

Allie[/quote]

Nice schedule (horarium) Rising at 6 am is nice!!

be_thou_my_vision

6am would be nice! One of the sisters at my community told me that she still thinks "I can't believe I'm getting up at 4:50am to put pantyhose on!" And she's the Superior! HAHAHA!!!!

[quote name='be_thou_my_vision' post='1275000' date='May 16 2007, 11:02 AM']6am would be nice! One of the sisters at my community told me that she still thinks "I can't believe I'm getting up at 4:50am to put pantyhose on!" And she's the Superior! HAHAHA!!!![/quote]

Oh my...4:50am...wow. I'm not a morning person either...takes me awhile to actually *wake up* And pantyhoes...eep that'd be a sacrifice for me at first! That's pretty funny that it's the Superior saying that lol!

be_thou_my_vision

[quote name='SisterAli' post='1275006' date='May 16 2007, 10:08 AM']Oh my...4:50am...wow. I'm not a morning person either...takes me awhile to actually *wake up* And pantyhoes...eep that'd be a sacrifice for me at first! That's pretty funny that it's the Superior saying that lol![/quote]
Ya, the Superior is really funny. :)
We get done with Compline at about 7:30, so most of the time I am in bed by 8:30... so we definitely get enough sleep... it's just a different schedule. All of the sisters, including postulants (after the first 6 weeks) have night adoration 3-4x a week. So they will get up at some un-Godly hour to go worship God in the Blessed Sacrament for an hour. It's really beautful..

Okay, now we can get back on Allie's topic... haha!

Tell us more Allie!! What kind of food did you eat? Were the postulants nice?

[quote name='be_thou_my_vision' post='1275163' date='May 16 2007, 04:00 PM']Ya, the Superior is really funny. :)
We get done with Compline at about 7:30, so most of the time I am in bed by 8:30... so we definitely get enough sleep... it's just a different schedule. All of the sisters, including postulants (after the first 6 weeks) have night adoration 3-4x a week. So they will get up at some un-Godly hour to go worship God in the Blessed Sacrament for an hour. It's really beautful..

Okay, now we can get back on Allie's topic... haha!

Tell us more Allie!! What kind of food did you eat? Were the postulants nice?[/quote]

Yes I love getting up at some un-Godly hour of the night to go pray to Jesus! We rise at 2am for Vigils for about 20 minutes, but when it's the first Saturday of the month we have a holy hour from 2am-3am....but the next day is Sunday so we get to sleep in til 7am! It's soooooooo beautiful, so peaceful.

Oh my...food...haha well it's unbelievable because they rely totally on God's Providence...and it's crazy the amount of food we had!!!!!! Usually breakfast is a bagel/bread (with peanut butter and jelly) and some cereal. With those that wish to have hot tea or coffee, which I don't drink except tea once in awhile. Lunch is usually leftovers from the evening before, or soup and bread....Supper is the biggest meal. It varies but a lot of times it was pasta with sauce, bread, some kind of vegatable...sometimes potatoes, salad....oh and you can eat Violets!!! And danelions! They are soooooo good! Ohhh and ALWAYS fruit! And if its a feast day then suggggggarrrrrrr afterwards hehehe...candy! But all the food I had was AMAZING! Its very simple, which I love. On Wednesday and Friday we fast on bread and soup alone. Bread for breakfast and lunch and then bread and soup for supper.

The postulants...oh my they are amazing! Two of them are from South Dakota and actually know one of my really good friends so its pretty funny. The other two postulants one is from Rhode Island and the other is from Arizona. They are all in there early 20's except one whom is 26 (mid 20's). I had a lot of fun when I was there with them. I did a lot of manual labor with them and such....they are so joy filled and on fire its so beautiful. They are awesome prayer warriors :)

Ora et Labora

[quote name='SisterAli' post='1274413' date='May 15 2007, 07:32 PM']No....they aren't busy like that. It just makes it sound like it because I put it all together. Remember...they are contemplatives mainly with a day out of the week for ONE of those apostulate's....and the next week they might not have any at all....in the summer they are mainly contemplative and don't do active ministry.

The only thing that I mentioned on the schedule that is ALWAYS the same is the prayer times.....other than that...its very Franciscan to just *go with the flow* and when I was there...I didn't know what I was going to be doing that particular day until after breakfast....basically they are open to what the Holy Spirit is guiding them to on that particular day. Its beautiful the freedom that comes out of that. To not have to worry about what you are going to be doing, except you know you'll be prayin' at the appointed hours :)[/quote]

That sounds awesome!! :) I really like how they have that Franciscan attitude. ;)

[quote name='Ora et Labora' post='1276438' date='May 18 2007, 09:03 AM']That sounds awesome!! :) I really like how they have that Franciscan attitude. ;)[/quote]

Well they are Franciscan!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gotta love em! :lol_roll: