An Old School Catholic Message Board

"oh My God" A Mortal Sin?

rosco22

It's a hard habit to try and break... even when I catch myself, the cheesiness of "gosh" deters my efforts, and I become lazy. I guess I should find out if I'm mortally sinning at every utterance... I don't say G.D. or take Jesus' name in vain. "Oh my God" or "Oh God" is the extent of that particular vice.

EcceNovaFacioOmni

If this is a habit where you are "catching" yourself, I cannot see how you are giving full consent of the will.

Groo the Wanderer

It can be, if uttered in a habitual, profane, non-chalant, or irreverent manner.

Twould be a very good think to break oneself of this habit, if it has become one.

I usually try to stay away from saying 'God' or 'Jesus' at all, unless I am speaking to Him or about Him.... :pray:

Yes, this does not look like mortal sin material to me :idontknow: Maybe not even venial, since again it sounds like an involuntary habit - more like an imperfection. A good priest confessor would be able to help you get a handle on whether a particular sin is mortal or not.

My advice is to not try to puzzle it out yourself or you'll drive yourself up the wall. Find a good priest to confess to regularly and take his advice about things like this, and don't even question what he says, he's right! :)

EcceNovaFacioOmni

He is catching himself, which seems to imply it is a thoughtless action. It is good that you are trying to rid yourself of this rosco.

Edited by thedude

It is good that you are catching yourself, so you are not giving full consent....

But at the same time, it is important to remember that using the Lord's Name in vain is worse than lying, murder, adultery, etc...

[b]St. Matt 22:36 [/b]
"Teacher, which commandment in the law is the greatest?"
[b]37 [/b]He said to him, "[color="#FF0000"]You shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.[/color]
[b]38 [/b][color="#FF0000"]This is the greatest and the first commandment. [/color]

Our society has done a very good job of brainwashing us into thinking words are just combinations of letters and are powerless.

[b]St. Matt 12:36 [/b]
[color="#FF0000"]I tell you, on the day of judgment people will render an account for every careless word they speak. [/color]
[b]37 [/b][color="#FF0000"]By your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned.[/color]"

Words carry much power. In the Old Testament days we would be stoned to death for even saying the Name of God.

There is a great evil that fills our tv's and radios... the first commandment is constantly being broken.

These things help me think about what I say more before I say it. I hope these verses can help you remember and maybe help others too.

God Bless... Prayer, Confession, and Perseverance bro,
ironmonk

Edited by ironmonk

To take God's name in vain is objectively grave matter, and if done with sufficient reflection and full consent of the will, would be a formal sin (i.e.: an actual mortal sin).

Edited by Hirsap

cathoholic_anonymous

"Goodness!" That's what I usually say when I'm startled or shocked.

It took me less than a week to break myself of saying, "Oh my God." I was fifteen. I just said it because everyone else was saying it. I hadn't realised how wrong it was to invoke God's name over some a spillage of orange juice. My method was to pray about it, savour the beauty of using His name in prayer, and then realising that I didn't want to say it in any other way. Ever.

thessalonian

Call upon the name of the Lord. In a positive way, to help you overcome faults. He will defend you.

say stuff like "coagulated milk PUFFS!" when you're angry. the cheesieness (no punn intended) will cheer u up.

at least it cheers me up.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Cathoholic Anonymous' post='1229388' date='Apr 4 2007, 12:59 PM']"Goodness!" That's what I usually say when I'm startled or shocked.[/quote]

That's what I usually say, too.

If that doesn't work, make up a word, like my grandmother did (she said satacat, don't ask me why), or when you do slip, try to find something in that situation that you can praise God about.

Oh, and one of my friends says random vegetables now. :)

Anyway, my £.02

Edited by Archaeology cat

Proud2BCatholic139

It is a mortal sin for saying the most naughty words, but saying omg, out of shock, it is venial...