An Old School Catholic Message Board

"i Kissed Dating Goodbye"

Dust's Sister

Dust's Sister

I just bought it and I just read the first chapter.. so far so good.

Has anyone read this book? if so, did it change your life?

Edited by Dust's Sister

Horrible book.

Read his second book "boy meets girl" he admits that when he wrote "I kissed dating goodbye" he was bitter and closed to having a relationship. "boy meets girl" is when he has fallen in love, and is a much more beautiful book. If/when you finish "I kissed dating" you will understand.

Fides_et_Ratio

Actually, I'd kick all Joshua Harris' dating books to the curb... check out Fr. TK Morrow's "Christian Courtship in an Oversexed World". It's written by a Catholic priest with perspective, and it's ten million times better than Joshua Harris' books.

[url="http://www.amazon.com/Christian-Courtship-Oversexed-World-Catholics/dp/1931709564/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-7452109-3621751?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1175960247&sr=8-1"]http://www.amazon.com/Christian-Courtship-...0247&sr=8-1[/url]

Yeah I didn't get much out of it either. It is a totally unrealistic approach to dating and romance.

Not that I have yet found a totally [i]successful[/i] approach, but still ... this one was definitely not practicable.

I think it was mainly attractive to a) people who were closed off to dating/relationships anyway, and b) parents who hoped to keep their children out of trouble.

I have to disagree. I think they're both really good.

First, Why I Kissed Dating Goodbye was a very healthy reaction for the author at the time. He had had strings of unhealthy relationships that were there for comfort and pleasure, and he was compartmentalizing his faith. He needed to give himself time where he was working on his relationship with God, as opposed to his relationships with girls. He spent time and effort growing in his faith and becoming a man worth dating.

Second, Boy Meets Girl is not meant to be a one-size-fits-all sort of thing. He readily admits that he cannot cover all possible circumstances, but he makes very good points. The best point he makes is that God needs to be an intimate part of any dating relationship. It shouldn't simply be about fulfilling animal desires. The second best point is his advice for pacing. Simply, emotional and physical intimacy must be matched with commitment. I also like his point about giving the relationship purpose and direction. I don't agree that it should be like that from date 1, but there should be a relatively early talk where you establish purpose and direction to the dating relationship. It's also a good time to set up rules and talk about expectations. That way, you can guard each other's hearts in purity.

My spiritual director suggested this book for me. He actually suggests it a lot to his directees.

[quote name='Fides_et_Ratio' post='1233479' date='Apr 7 2007, 10:38 AM']Actually, I'd kick all Joshua Harris' dating books to the curb... check out Fr. TK Morrow's "Christian Courtship in an Oversexed World". It's written by a Catholic priest with perspective, and it's ten million times better than Joshua Harris' books.

[url="http://www.amazon.com/Christian-Courtship-Oversexed-World-Catholics/dp/1931709564/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-7452109-3621751?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1175960247&sr=8-1"]http://www.amazon.com/Christian-Courtship-...0247&sr=8-1[/url][/quote]
Amen. Wife and I read this book and Harris' "Boy Meets Girl" back when we were dating. We were still prots at the time. It is is a nice Evangelical Christian guess. However, unrealistic it hurt our relationship and caused us to lose a grip on reality a bit.

TOB is a much better use of your time anyway.

John

I think it's good to see what is out there and read other books on similar subjects. You'll quickly come to see the importance of each book when you meet and talk with friends who are at different phases in thier lives or you'll be able to give proper feedback.

Keep reading it! I think the good thing is, this guy, instead of going off the deep end, channeled it through a book. Now if I could do that, I'd have more than a dozen books!!!!! :coffee:

it's just easier for me to go to Taekwondo and release the bitterness and anger in a physical, immediate form. :starwars:

johnnydigit

anyone ever heard of the christian rock band BarlowGirl? they're some sisters in their 20's that have given up dating as well, and voice it especially in their song called "Average Girl". their songs are soo cute and their messages so heart warming. great to listen to when you're not reading, like when driving.