An Old School Catholic Message Board

Name The Saint

Laudate_Dominum

[img]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b317/amspublications/cheater.jpg[/img]

The order this person helped to found celebrated it's 800th anninversary.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I thought it was St. Francis of Assisi but I'm probably wrong

Ok, this saint was born of a noble family and converted to Christianity as a teenager. she was known for her beauty and intelligience and her study of philosophy. She organized a protest against the persecution of Christians. The Roman Emperor was taken with her and proposed marriage, she refused saying she was a Bride of Christ. He had her tortured by a spiked wheel, but angels broke it, so she was beheaded. Thought to be a pious fiction and taken off the calendar of saints.

argent_paladin

Sorry about going awol on you guys, The Dominican Saint holding the children is St.. Zdislava:

[quote]St. Zdislava of Lemberk, Matron
1220?-1252
Feast Day: January 1 (January 4 on the Dominican Calendar, May 30 in the Czech Republic)

St. Zdislava of Lemberk

St. Zdislava was a noblewoman, born in Brno (now in the Czech Republic). She was a sweet and pious child, who learned from her mother the arts of healing with both herbs and prayers. After an early attempt at eremitical life, she returned to society and later married Duke Havel of Lemberk.

Their marriage is said to have been a challenge for them both. St. Zdislava was required to dress and act as befit a duchess; the Duke had to put up with her outstanding generosity to the poor. She raised four children in the castle of Lemberk, but her care extended to all the needy of the land. She became known as a great healer and a source of comfort for those fleeing the Tartar invasions from the East. (The well from which she drew healing water still exists.)

When the Polish missionaries St. Hyacinth and Bl. Ceslaus arrived at Lemberk, they brought news of the Order of Preachers, founded some years before by St. Dominic. St. Zdislava was excited by the opportunity to perform her works of mercy within the Dominican framework, and she became an early lay Dominican. (The Third Order of St. Dominic was not formally organized until 1285.)

Spurred by her new apostolic calling, St. Zdislava urged her husband to build a hospice for poor pilgrims. She herself funded the construction of a church, the Priory of St. Laurence -- even visiting the site at night, to move beams and stones into place without others knowing. She was a frequent communicant, a visionary, a catechist, a healer, and an advocate for prisoners.

Church of Sts. Lawrence and ZdislavaSt. Zdislava died in 1252 and is buried in the church she built, now called the Church of Sts. Laurence and Zdislava (shown in the picture on the right), in the Czech village of Jablonné v Podjestedi. She was canonized in 1995.

Saint Zdislava of Lemberk, model for the domestic Church, pray for us![/quote]

argent_paladin

[quote name='zabbazooey' date='Nov 26 2005, 08:04 PM'][img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y105/lateralus98/DontCheat.jpg[/img]
[right][snapback]801100[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

St. Vacheslav?

argent_paladin

Hee, hee! I cheated. I read the Old Church Slavonic on the icon. I says : "St. *something* King Vacheslav"...
But I guess that is fair right? I shouldn't be penalized for knowing Slavonic.

argent_paladin

Next time you should make sure you don't have the answer on the picture. Even if it is in an obscure dead language.

[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y18/zpaladin/75be0966.jpg[/img]

As always, this saint is a Dominican.