An Old School Catholic Message Board

God Working In Protestant Churches

ReformationNow

ReformationNow

Okay, I now it's a really big thing among Protesant circles for them to point and say "Look at the growth here, see how God is working in our Church?" Now, do Catholics believe that this is the work of God albeit limited? Or what?

according to some people here, protestants (such as myself) are wasting their time in non-Catholic churches. i don't think God would waste His own time on people wasting their time in a fake church.

*note heavy sarcasm*

note sarcasm and uneeded hostility...I have never said that, I have protestant grandparents on one side and jewish grandmaprents on the other. I am very proud to be catholic and agree totally with everything the church says.

cmotherofpirl

Jesus says ask and you shall recieve. He didn't say this would happen only to Catholics.

Agnosticism, indifferentism and relativism is increasing at an alarming rate, especially in Europe and North America.

On the other hand, the catholic Church has over 1 billion members - so we have been doing a lot of asking and recieving as well.

WHat do you consider growth?

My diocese averages 1000 new adult Catholics every year, the welcoming ceremony has to be done twice since our Cathedral is not large.

Which communities are growing? THe evangelicals, the moderates, the liberals or the wackos?

i'd say its the work of a God who sees people who are not ready for the fullness of truth but need Him desperately.

God loves all people, and in His infinite wisdom He uses all who believe in Him through Jesus Christ to bring all people whom he loves into a relationship with Him.

However, there are some ppl out there that are certainly NOT ready to be told there's an authoritative magisterium teaching the living Truth of the Living God, and so if ppl were led by the spirit to a Catholic Church they could reject it. Therefore, He makes sure they are at least partially Catholic (because of the union with the first Pope's first dogma; see my post in the thread'why I am Catholic') and in time they may become more open and fully recieved into the fullness of the Catholic Faith.

or they'll just remain in the partiality of the Catholic faith and have hope of salvation.

that's how I see His holy work through our separated brothers and sisters.

may we one day be able to join in a common reception of the Lord's Body and Blood.

Peace In Christ!

Edited by Aloysius

cmotherofpirl

according to some people here, protestants (such as myself) are wasting their time in non-Catholic churches. i don't think God would waste His own time on people wasting their time in a fake church.

*note heavy sarcasm*

I don't think its a waste of time, I think its a stepping stone.

In the protestant communities you learn about Jesus. When you learn history and doctrine, natural law, and the timeless teachings of the Church, you become Catholic and enjoy the fullness of faith God intended you to have in the Comunion of saints in the Body of Christ.

I'm ever thankful for the Christian example non-Catholics have shown me. They helped me become a better Christian, and made me more aware of the graces in Catholicism.

Yes, God works miracles in non-Catholic Christian Churches. He more fully works in Catholicism though like some non-Catholics, many Catholics don't avail themselves of everything their Church has to offer.