An Old School Catholic Message Board

Angelus Newsletter

Ash Wednesday

Ash Wednesday

So what's the deal with these guys? Does anybody read it?

I ran into a SSPX blog that was referencing this newsletter in some essay justifying a Catholic's decision to not attend the new mass.

That's all.

[img]http://www.insidesocal.com/outinhollywood/meryl_streep_in_the_devil_w.jpg[/img]

Never read it although I have the Angelus Press Missal. Personally, that Missal is FANTASTIC and I bought it for only $35 - far less than other publishers.

EcceNovaFacioOmni

Angelus Press is run by the SSPX. I do not know if they are affiliated with this Angelus Newsletter.

Ash Wednesday

All right -- I just googled Angelus Press and got my answer. They're the press for SSPX, and the Angelus newsletter is under them.

And no, I'm not going to link to them for anyone curious. They're bad news.

I honestly think that most things that Angelus Press sells (except the ones specifically on the schism) are excellent quality.

EcceNovaFacioOmni

[quote name='St. Benedict' post='1244627' date='Apr 15 2007, 05:13 PM']I honestly think that most things that Angelus Press sells (except the ones specifically on the schism) are excellent quality.[/quote]
That could be true, but the profits still go toward a public and actively schismatic entity.

By the way, the best way to get a Tridentine missal, in my opinion, is to ask your parents or grandparents. I have two that my mom used when she was a kid and one of the them is really worn out. Totally cool. :twothumbsup: God bless!

son_of_angels

Actually, I would suggest the Missal produced by Baronius. It's is quite excellent. Nonetheless, I have the Angelus press edition, as it was sold by my Fraternity priest to interested parishoners last year (or the one before that). If we are willing to buy books from Protestant/non-Catholic booksellers for other things, it seems unlikely that for a perfectly orthodox missal we should scruple in buying it from Angelus.

Ash Wednesday

Does FSSP have a press and sell books? Now that would be super cool. All the trad phab without the phish.

Ash Wednesday

And finding old missalettes are totally cool. I have my mom's. You also can find some wonderful old Catholic stuff on ebay and at antique stores. I avoid ebay, though... simply because I get tempted to buy stuff too easily. :thumbsup:

I have a cool children's missal from the late 60s that I got at my first communion. With the pictures you can still see the influence of the preconciliar period, the Priest is facing toward the people, but he has a crucifix in the middle of the altar that he is directing himself toward. The altar servers are still in the old black and white robes

Ash Wednesday

Era, I think I might have the same one! I love it. Does yours have the altar boys with the really groovy haircuts? :hehe:

[attachment=2467:Missal.jpg]
[attachment=2465:Edit_2.jpg]
[attachment=2466:Edit_3.jpg]

The imprimatur is from 1974, a little later than I thought, given by Humberto S. Medeiros, Archbishop of Boston. I like that last picture because the father is looking at the Priest like he wants him to hurry up and get the show on the road so he can get out of there. :lol:

Ash Wednesday

Oh I'm thinking of the one we had around our house -- it was probably my older brothers. The one I have with me is more of an early 80s/late 70s -- but there's one he had and it had the grooviest altar servers I have ever seen. Something straight out of the 60s, I recall it had some kid with wavy hair and really thick dark rimmed glasses, like Paul Pfeiffer. Or maybe the priest had the glasses. I don't remember. Next time I'm at my dad's I'll try to find it.

[img]http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/3/3e/180px-Joshsaviano.JPG[/img]

I admit it's one of those things that is so bad it's good.

Old missals, like Latin on one side and English on the other? And, of course, line art/engraving/whatever you want to call it illustrations.
Why, is there a shortage of them?

:P: