An Old School Catholic Message Board

Anti-catholics Or Protestants

The Shover Robot

The Shover Robot

Wouldn't it be simpler to call all non-Catholics anti-catholics?

That way you could lump the all protestants and non-catholics together by showing that they refute the claims of Peter as the founder of the one true universal church.

Jake Huether

Yes, but only to the very first generation of protestants - who knew they were leaving the Church.

But for countless generations that simply have been raised in the notion that the Catholic Church is just another denom - they can't be blamed.

First gen. JW - yes.

The children of JW's - no.

First gen. Mormans - yes.

The children of Mormans - no.

Those who are simply raised to NOT know the truth cannot themselves be held accountable for any "lie" that they might spread. Because they sincerely think it to be the truth. The first gen's however have no excuse.

cmotherofpirl

It depends.

You can be anti-catholic.

In my Aunt's baptist community, every single Sunday they preached against the Catholic Church (and how they loved Jesus). I know this because she told me so.

So they were not protestants but anti-catholics. THe whole basis of their religion was simply against another religion. If the Catholic Church didn't exist they would have had no religion at all. THere are many fanatics like that out there. THeir whole wasted life is against the Church.

Or you could have been raised Catholic, and left because you disagree with the teaching or it interferes with your lifestyle.

You can be protestant.

There all the other protestant communities - those people who were born to it and having not heard the truth somewhere along the line, stayed protestant all their lives. They simply haven't heard the truth yet.

You can be indifferent.

All those people who have heard the truth but simply aren't interested. It can't compete against football, movies, their car, their shopping.

Anti-Catholic implies hatred for the Catholic Church.

I would say the vast majority of non-Catholics do not hate the Catholic Church; most are just unaware of what it teaches or have been convinced to not believe it.

Inmy experience, anti-Catholics are a small minority, it's just that they generate a disproportionate amount of the noise we hear.

To be "protestant" is to protest the Catholic Church... to protest the Catholic Church is to be anti-Catholic.

All non-Catholic Christians are protestant, even the baptists.

many baptists I know claim that they are not protestant, because when they do, it proves that they came after 1517 AD... so one of them somewhere started the lie that they can be traced through anabaptists, donatists, etc... It's easy to squash that lie, all you have to do is study what each group taught, and it shows that they were nothing like baptists of today. You can't count a chain of heretics that left the Catholic Church at various times succession of faith... just kills me when they try.

Someone who attacks the Catholic Church is anti-Catholic. Someone who simply has been lied to about the Catholic Church and without passing judgment on Catholics, is simply non-Catholic.

God Bless,

ironmonk

Edited by ironmonk

Cure of Ars

My definition of an anti-Catholic is someone or some group who does not think that Catholics are Christian.

Anti-Catholic literally means "opposed to Catholicism".

Any Christian who opposes Catholicism is an anti-Catholic. I guess it's possible for some non-Catholic Christians to not necessarily oppose Catholicism--but then again, if they didn't oppose it, then why wouldn't they be Catholic?

I think it's polite not to label all non-Catholics as anti-Catholics, because there is generally a negative feeling that goes along with the word.

So... technically, it's correct, but for the sake of charity, I think it's wise not to use it so liberally.

God bless.

mustbenothing

(ironmonk) All non-Catholic Christians are protestant, even the baptists.

(Me) There are some other non-Protestant groups -- say, the Eastern Orthodox and the Old Catholic Church.

cmotherofpirl

THere are also groups who define themselves as christians but are not: Mormons, Jehovohs Witnesses, Bishop Spong

Guest Faithlikeaseed

Can't we all just get along?? I'm thinking I'm VERY blessed to live where I do, because all of the Christian churches have formed a youth network and do activities and worship services once a month. We try to focus on our similarities rather than our differences. I agree that man protestants are simply ignorant to the truth and that causes them to hate. Ignorance is not bliss!

(ironmonk) All non-Catholic Christians are protestant, even the baptists.

(Me) There are some other non-Protestant groups -- say, the Eastern Orthodox and the Old Catholic Church.

Schismatics are slightly different... but they still protest something about Catholicism or they would not have split from the Church built by Christ.

God Bless,

ironmonk