An Old School Catholic Message Board

Missing Mass Is A Mortal Sin Yes Or No?

White Knight

White Knight

I explained this to my family, my grand parents want me to miss mass on the July 28th, for their 50th Wedding Anniversary, and they even questioned me on this, I replied back with my defence, and said, its a Mortal Sin to Miss Mass, however I'm wondering, Does this count as a serious reason? [b]I personally dont think it is[/b], I strongly believe inless its a LIFE or DEATH Matter, its not a premittable excuse, and is actually committing Mortal Sin, Am I right on this, if so, can you give me some tips on how to explain this better to my Non-Catholic Family?

Also is it debateable, to discuss how serious something has to be in order to miss mass? Like Work for example, if someone has a job that doesn't really involve serious matters, then missing Mass is not permittable correct?

I can understand a firefighter having to miss mass in order to save peoples' lives from a blazing inferno building or house, or even a doctor trying to pervent someone from going into cartiyact arrest while mass is going on, I strongly believe it is matters like this that can be premitted as a "Serious" excuse in order to miss Mass, and not have it be Mortal Sin, Am I right on this or leaning to extremely? or what?

Is this debateable?

[b]Thank You God Bless You, Pax Christi, Happy 5th Sunday of Easter, of the 50 Days of the Easter Season.[/b]

dairygirl4u2c

and cinco de mayo.

being sick was always legit when i was catho. not life or death sick either. prob not an anniversary tho. (i think..)

homeschoolmom

Why is it necessary to miss mass for an anniversary party? Is it being held in the Amazon rainforest? Couldn't you go to Mass on Saturday vigil and attend the party on Sunday?

Paladin D

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1265810' date='May 6 2007, 09:46 AM']Couldn't you go to Mass on Saturday vigil and attend the party on Sunday?[/quote]

Unfortunately many jobs aren't nine to five, Monday through Friday. I used to work in the restaurant business and most of the time worked late nights on the weekend, he's in a similar situation. It smells of elderberries, especially if you're a devout Mass-going Catholic.

If you can't attend the vigil Mass Aaron, I would still recommend you go to Mass on Sunday morning. It's hard to make these type of decisions, especially a big event such as a [b]50th[/b] wedding anniversary. However, we have to ultimately do what is right and just. Would you still be able to make it to the party after Mass?

Edited by Paladin D

Norseman82

White Knight, you're correct in your analysis and put a lot of "cradle Catholics" to shame. It has to be an EMERGENCY reason (like your plane crashes in the Andes or the firefighter/doctor duty example - and care for infants can fall into this category, according to the Cathechism, for future reference when you are married and have kids).

As far as missing due to work, when I used to work at a 24-hour restaurant, I would have the Mass schedules for all the nearby parishes memorized so that either I would find a Mass either Saturday night or right before my shift started.

And remember - www.masstimes.org is your friend!

White Knight

[quote name='Paladin D' post='1265836' date='May 6 2007, 10:49 AM']Unfortunately many jobs aren't nine to five, Monday through Friday. I used to work in the restaurant business and most of the time worked late nights on the weekend, he's in a similar situation. It smells of elderberries, especially if you're a devout Mass-going Catholic.

If you can't attend the vigil Mass Aaron, I would still recommend you go to Mass on Sunday morning. It's hard to make these type of decisions, especially a big event such as a [b]50th[/b] wedding anniversary. However, we have to ultimately do what is right and just. Would you still be able to make it to the party after Mass?[/quote]

Unfortunately my friend, the party is on a Saturday afternoon from 2:00PM to 5:00PM CST, and Mass starts at 5:00PM. plus both locations are pretty far apart from each other, so I dunno how long it would take to even get to Mass.

[quote name='Norseman82' post='1265844' date='May 6 2007, 11:01 AM']White Knight, you're correct in your analysis and put a lot of "cradle Catholics" to shame. It has to be an EMERGENCY reason (like your plane crashes in the Andes or the firefighter/doctor duty example - and care for infants can fall into this category, according to the Cathechism, for future reference when you are married and have kids).

As far as missing due to work, when I used to work at a 24-hour restaurant, I would have the Mass schedules for all the nearby parishes memorized so that either I would find a Mass either Saturday night or right before my shift started.

And remember - www.masstimes.org is your friend![/quote]

Thanks, I thought I was right on this, and everyone is questioning my answer, my grand mother is even going to attempt to speak with the Preist about this. Its sad, unfortunately they want me to make this choice, and act like its no big deal.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1265810' date='May 6 2007, 08:46 AM']Why is it necessary to miss mass for an anniversary party? Is it being held in the Amazon rainforest? Couldn't you go to Mass on Saturday vigil and attend the party on Sunday?[/quote]

Its not Necessary to miss mass for an anniversary party, I mean ya its the 50th and its something special, but Mass is the Highlight of all my Saturdays, and I go every Saturday at 5:00PM., and it just so happens the party is on the Saturday, and is like very far away from the parish, by the time the party ended and if I left to go to Mass, it would be half way over, if not over. I dont see any serious enough reason here to miss mass in order for it not to be a mortal sin. I mean ya its a 50th anniversary, and in this day and age, thats something very special, however I usually work on Sundays, which is why I attend Mass on Saturday Vigils.

Edited by White Knight

Katholikos

[quote name='kujo' post='1265825' date='May 6 2007, 10:10 AM']I missed mass last week :([/quote]
Sorry, I can't give you absolution, you'll have to see a priest. :P:

Paladin D

Aaron, would you be able to go to Mass on Sunday [b]early morning[/b]? I know you prefer Saturday vigil Mass, but depending what time you go to work on Sunday, you could go to the party [b]and[/b] go to Mass early Sunday.

I know at least in my case, I would work a late night-shift on Saturday (5pm-2am), and go to bed around 3am. Wake up at 7am, and head to 8:30am Mass, then go to work at 12pm (noon) the sameday till about 9pm. It wasn't like this every week, but it did occur every now and then. Usually I would either have off Sunday or would be scheduled to work later on in the day (instead of noon), so I would take a few hours to nap right after Mass.

Edited by Paladin D

White Knight

[quote name='Paladin D' post='1265934' date='May 6 2007, 12:27 PM']Aaron, would you be able to go to Mass on Sunday [b]early morning[/b]? I know you prefer Saturday vigil Mass, but depending what time you go to work on Sunday, you could go to the party [b]and[/b] go to Mass early Sunday.

I know at least in my case, I would work a late night-shift on Saturday (5pm-2am), and go to bed around 3am. Wake up at 7am, and head to 8:30am Mass, then go to work at 12pm (noon) the sameday till about 9pm. It wasn't like this every week, but it did occur every now and then. Usually I would either have off Sunday or would be scheduled to work later on in the day (instead of noon), so I would take a few hours to nap right after Mass.[/quote]

I actually dont know, its to soon to tell when I work on that Sunday.

[quote name='Mercy me' post='1265949' date='May 6 2007, 12:38 PM']July 28th is a Saturday. Could you not still make it to a Saunday mass?[/quote]

I really dont know, it can be so random sometimes how they work things out at my work.

Edited by White Knight

Paladin D

[quote name='White Knight' post='1265951' date='May 6 2007, 01:41 PM']I actually dont know, its to soon to tell when I work on that Sunday.
I really dont know, it can be so random sometimes how they work things out at my work.[/quote]

DOH! I forgot it's on July 28th. I thought it was this Saturday coming up. :lol:

White Knight

Lol ya, I'm trying to get prepared for the next round, of exchanging words.

Norseman82

On the other hand, you have plenty of time to request a schedule change at work to accomodate BOTH Mass and the anniversary party. Ask for the whole weekend off if you can or switch with someone.

Edited by Norseman82

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Norseman82' post='1265976' date='May 6 2007, 01:01 PM']On the other hand, you have plenty of time to request a schedule change at work to accomodate BOTH Mass and the anniversary party. Ask for the whole weekend off if you can or switch with someone.[/quote]
Good thinkin', Lincoln.