An Old School Catholic Message Board

Random Questions For Sisters...

sunnysideup

sunnysideup

I know that we all have some random, emabarassing, wierd, and maybe even serious questions for religous sisters, so if you have any post them here. If you know the answer to any please share. One more thing, don't judge people....it's just curiosty.
Here are some of my questions.....
1) Do you get warm wearing the habit?
2) What kind of shampoo do you use?
3) Do you shave your legs?
4) Do you ever fight with the other sisters?
5) What kind of food do you eat?

AlterDominicus

6) Whats the rule about alcohol, like having wine or beer on any given day?
7) Do you fight about your favorite sports team? :hehe:
8) How much do you know about canon law? [haha, yes very random]
9) Did you ever get a "name" you didnt want, if so what was/is it and what was your perference?
10) Do sometimes feel "out of order" [ooo] like you are part of the Dominican Order, but one day you feel Franciscan?

:blush:

:lol_pound:

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

11. What does one do when served a food that you absolutely despise that literally makes you gag when you eat it?

12. Do you have to prostrate on the floor when you take your final vows?? (I know priests do...)
13. How do you deal with your hair? Do you have to blow dry it?? (really random!)
14. Do you ever get tired of wearing your habit?

onlygrace08

15. Do you take naps?
16. What do you do if you spill something on your habit? (assuming there are only 1-2 of them per sister)

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................I dont know what to say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Goood questions but some of them seem kind of immature......but it is just me!

Edited by Sixtina87

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

17. (this one pertains more to the Poor Clare Colettines I'm discerning with where my understanding that Mother Abbess is the only one who cuts hair) Do you get regular haircuts?

ofpheritup

1) Yes, but then again it depends on the type of material the habit was made of and what you were doing at the time.
2) Whatever kind your parents sent or whatever you were given when you asked.
3) NO. What would be the point. Although I guess that depends on what community you are in.
4) Oh Yeah, living in such close proximity it is bound to happen. That is such a realisitc part of religious life.
You don't leave your personality outside the door. You keep being you.
5) Whatever they give you. Very similar to the Army.
6) On Sunday we had wine, very WATERED DOWN, very homemade wine. One glass.
7) No, no time for sports. No TV, no radio, no nothing. Again it varies with communities.
8) Nothing, that would come later.
9) I don't know. I imagine some sisters did.
10) Yes.
11) You don't eat it. What would be the point of making yourself sick?
12) I have no idea, good question.
13) We had ours in ponytails. The older sisters wore veils.
No, no blow drying no time and too many sisters, to be standing around and waiting.
14) No, I never did.
15) Yes, thankfully, on Sunday afternoons.
16) Depended on what was spilled and how large the spill. A huge spill you would change your habit.
17) For my community, yes but the pre-postulant or postulant mistress would do it.

This is how it was in 1975 I can't imagine it has changed all that much over the years.
I previously mentioned this also varies from community to community.

I'd be interested in hearing what anyone knows about how the vows work out in practice. Chastity I think I understand ;) but what about poverty and obedience? I feel a lot of the material one reads about religious life explains the vows in a very abstract way.

For example, do sisters have 'pocket money' to spend as they like, or do they have to ask for money for everything? If someone, let's say, has a hobby that requires some equipment (I'm not talking about sailing yachts, but say painting), does she automatically buy the cheapest? Or can she prioritize one thing and save on another, like anyone else with a limited amount of money to spend? (I'm thinking mainly of 'ordinary' apostolic orders, i.e. not the kind whose poverty is specially radical.)

As for the vow of obedience, what concrete impact does it have on daily life?

The gist of this is that I'd like to have a clearer idea of to what extent sisters have responsibility for their own choices within the framework of the community life they lead and the rule they follow, and to what extent life is 'micromanaged' by the community.

I realize these things must vary from community to community, but any facts are of interest.

I also like the trivia about religious life--more questions and answers please!

cathoholic_anonymous

I don't think these questions are immature at all, Sixtina. When I was on retreat to Quidenham Carmel the prioress and novice mistress urged me to ask anything I liked, no matter how silly it might sound in my head. :) You don't suddenly sweep up to lofty spiritual heights when you become a religious - you are still an ordinary woman who is concerned about whether you will still be able to wear ordinary underwear. (That was one of my pet worries, as I'd heard the pre-Vatican II tales of Airtex bloomers. A quick peek in the nuns' laundry reassured me.)

18.) How do you cope with homesickness and the feeling of being trapped?
19.) If you could have known one fact about religious life before you entered, what would it have been?
20.) How do you express your personality when you become part of a larger community?

[quote name='Sixtina87' post='1278917' date='May 21 2007, 10:55 PM']WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..I dont know what to say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Goood questions but some of them seem kind of immature......but it is just me![/quote]

I have to agree of the questions are a bit immature, but since you asked:
1) Do you get warm wearing the habit? My community does not wear a habit. But if it's hot out, we get warm
2) What kind of shampoo do you use? Whatever is on sale
3) Do you shave your legs? When I need to
4) Do you ever fight with the other sisters? I can't remember a serious fight in my house. But I'm sure many sisters have disagreements
5) What kind of food do you eat? Whatever I (or whoever's turn it is) cook
6) Whats the rule about alcohol, like having wine or beer on any given day? Anything is excess is wrong
7) Do you fight about your favorite sports team? I am a huge Yankee fan and live with Mets fans. Somehow, we make it work
8) How much do you know about canon law? almost nothing
9) Did you ever get a "name" you didnt want, if so what was/is it and what was your perference? I kept my given name
10) Do sometimes feel "out of order" [ooo] like you are part of the Dominican Order, but one day you feel Franciscan? No, during discernment, I spoke to many communities until I found I am and always have been csj
11. What does one do when served a food that you absolutely despise that literally makes you gag when you eat it? Eat it or go hungry. I learned the hard way, do not pretend to like it or you will be offered more
12. Do you have to prostrate on the floor when you take your final vows?? (I know priests do...) My community no, we never did. I know others do
13. How do you deal with your hair? Do you have to blow dry it?? (really random!) I've never blown my hair, shower & shake
14. Do you ever get tired of wearing your habit? nope, don't wear one
15. Do you take naps? On desert days, and I look forward to them. It is quite a luxury
16. What do you do if you spill something on your habit? Again, I don't wear one, but I assume you'd wash it
17. (this one pertains more to the Poor Clare Colettines I'm discerning with where my understanding that Mother Abbess is the only one who cuts hair) Do you get regular haircuts? I save up and go to my regular hair dresser
18.) How do you cope with homesickness and the feeling of being trapped? It is very hard to be separated from love ones but I am able to visit and stay in touch. But lonelinessis very real. That is where healthy community is very important and talking to those you live with and of course God.
19.) If you could have known one fact about religious life before you entered, what would it have been? Probably the fact the family &/or friends not understanding is very common
20.) How do you express your personality when you become part of a larger community? Just stay who you are

[quote name='Alphabeta' post='1278979' date='May 22 2007, 06:38 AM']The gist of this is that I'd like to have a clearer idea of to what extent sisters have responsibility for their own choices within the framework of the community life they lead and the rule they follow, and to what extent life is 'micromanaged' by the community.[/quote]

This is a very good question. And my understanding of the vows comes down to just what you've said here. The sisters have a responsibility for their own choices. And it holds true to all the vows. As for poverty, in my community, yes we do have 'pocket money'. We have a monthly allowance which we use for our own personal expenses, like shampoo that someone previously asked about. Or like hobbies which you asked about, we make choices how we want to spend our budget. Can I afford more expensive paint and haircuts less frequently? But I need to decide if I am being faithful to my vow of poverty which ties directly to my vow of obedience. In these choices, am I being obedient to God's will, to the community's charism and mission? The same is true for chastity. This also ties directly to the vows of obedience and poverty. Do all my relationships reflect God's love? Do I love all equally and do this by sharing all I have with all? Or are do I have relationships that take me away from any of God's creations? It is just my own view of the vows, but my understanding of them is really all three are one.

Ora et Labora

[quote name='onlygrace08' post='1278883' date='May 21 2007, 11:21 PM']15. Do you take naps?
16. What do you do if you spill something on your habit? (assuming there are only 1-2 of them per sister)[/quote]

i know for a fact both of these are yes. :hehe: my sister took naps when she was at OLAM. :)

Ora et Labora

[i][b]1) Do you get warm wearing the habit? My community does not wear a habit. But if it's hot out, we get warm[/b][/i]

What does that mean, your community does not wear a habit?? :mellow:

Edited by Ora et Labora

Ora et Labora

[quote name='ofpheritup' post='1278961' date='May 22 2007, 02:37 AM']1) Yes, but then again it depends on the type of material the habit was made of and what you were doing at the time.
2) Whatever kind your parents sent or whatever you were given when you asked.
3) NO. What would be the point. Although I guess that depends on what community you are in.
4) Oh Yeah, living in such close proximity it is bound to happen. That is such a realisitc part of religious life.
You don't leave your personality outside the door. You keep being you.
5) Whatever they give you. Very similar to the Army.
6) On Sunday we had wine, very WATERED DOWN, very homemade wine. One glass.
7) No, no time for sports. No TV, no radio, no nothing. Again it varies with communities.
8) Nothing, that would come later.
9) I don't know. I imagine some sisters did.
10) Yes.
11) You don't eat it. What would be the point of making yourself sick?
12) I have no idea, good question.
13) We had ours in ponytails. The older sisters wore veils.
No, no blow drying no time and too many sisters, to be standing around and waiting.
14) No, I never did.
15) Yes, thankfully, on Sunday afternoons.
16) Depended on what was spilled and how large the spill. A huge spill you would change your habit.
17) For my community, yes but the pre-postulant or postulant mistress would do it.

This is how it was in 1975 I can't imagine it has changed all that much over the years.
I previously mentioned this also varies from community to community.[/quote]

what community are/were you in? :)

Edited by Ora et Labora