An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sisters Of Life

Eureka

I've always interested in their community life and apostolates. I haven't had a chance to contact them because they don't have email address posted on their website and restricted contact hours. Have anyone of you visit them or heard about them (pros & cons)? Please share... They are still a new community (less than 20 years of existence).

They'll have a "Come & See" weekend in November (8th-11th). I want to come...but I would like to hear from you before I make my move. Honestly, I am not in a favor of making initial contact via phone.

Thank you in advance for your sharing/input.

ThyHolyLove

Hi! I visited the Sisters of Life last November and also helped out at their home for pregnant women. They are a great order, very well grounded and full of love! Their apostolates focus around pro-life issues. They staff the NY Pro-Life office, run a pro-life library, have a home for women in crisis pregnancy and run a retreat house. They tend to have 6-8 sisters at every convent to preserve a family atmosphere. They are dependent upon donations are are very humble women. I understand your hesitance to call them, but I think you should give it a try. I think Sr. Mary Gabriel is the vocation director and she is very easy to talk to. The retreat I went on was really great. If you have any questions just let me know!

+

My friend Mary is just finishing up her year of postulancy there -she loves it! They are great sisters. I couldn't recommend them enough.

Hi eureka!

I've been discerning with the Sisters of Life for a while and visited them several times. Needless to say I really like them :) Even though they're a new community, they are very grounded and stable. They have a beautiful charism like someone else mentioned. What did you want to know about them?

Go ahead and give them a call--both Sr. Katharine Marie & Sr. Mary Gabriel are wonderful to talk to and not intimidating at all. You can write them a letter via snail mail if you really don't want to call them up initially, but at some point you'll have to call :)

They are a wonderul community and I visited there twice , one of thsoe visits was for the discernment retreat last year. Magnificat is probably the person to talk to but if you have any questions about my experiece feel free tos end me a message. They are wonderul and I thought that that was where God was calling me but it's not. They jsut celebrated 10 years this year.

Hey does anyone theanmes of the new novices yet??? I believe the postulantss received theur habit and names on June 1st their Foundation Day. I am anxious to hear what my friend Suzanne's name is

the lords sheep

I've visited/discerned a lot with the Sisters and I take volunteer groups there about 3-4 times a year. Everyone loves them! Sometimes we have to turn away volunteers because they are such a joy to work with.
As far as a community, they are incredibly solid, well-grounded community. They have a very structured prayer life, as prayer is their main apostalate, but their work is also very crucial to their lifestyle. They strive to be a family, to one another and to the world, and thoroughly enjoy one another. I HIGHLY recommend calling Sr. Mary Gabriel or Sr. Katherine Marie. They can answer your questions and give you a really good feel for their order, just from their joy at talking to you.
If you have more specific questions, let me know.

Also, if you really have a problem having a call be the first contact, you could mail them a letter!

In Jesus and Mary,
Lauren

plus in the nuns picture thread on here there are numerous photos, which speak volumes...
[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?s=&showtopic=67897&view=findpost&p=1294037"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?s...t&p=1294037[/url]
post #196..

Edited by EJames

[quote name='EJames' post='1300028' date='Jun 22 2007, 09:47 PM']plus in the nuns picture thread on here there are numerous photos, which speak volumes...
[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?s=&showtopic=67897&view=findpost&p=1294037"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?s...t&p=1294037[/url]
post #196..[/quote]
Thanks for the pictures...

[quote name='the lords sheep' post='1299927' date='Jun 22 2007, 04:54 PM']Sometimes we have to turn away volunteers because they are such a joy to work with.[/quote]

What do you mean???

the lords sheep

lol, I mean that the Sisters can't have 20 college students running around the convent! The one we work at is the one with the mothers, and even though there's lots to be done, there's only sooo much room!

God bless!

Guest Grace Abounds

[quote name='veritas99' post='1299850' date='Jun 22 2007, 12:04 PM']They are a wonderul community and I visited there twice , one of thsoe visits was for the discernment retreat last year. Magnificat is probably the person to talk to but if you have any questions about my experiece feel free tos end me a message. They are wonderul and I thought that that was where God was calling me but it's not. They jsut celebrated 10 years this year.
Hey does anyone theanmes of the new novices yet??? I believe the postulantss received theur habit and names on June 1st their Foundation Day. I am anxious to hear what my friend Suzanne's name is[/quote]

Hi! I have been lurking on this phorum for a while now, but seeing a post on the Sisters of Life has made me come out of hiding! I am discerning with the Sisters of Life and am applying for entrance with them for this September. (prayers please!) Obviously I think they are amazing and I encourage anyone to at least check them out. Don't be afraid to call or visit...they couldn't be nicer!

Anyway, I know the new names of the postulants (well, now novices!)...
Suzanne - Sr. Joan Marie
Mary - Sr. Mary Aquinas
Angela - Sr. Maris Stella
Bridget - Sr. Brigid Angela Marie

I can't wait to see them in their habits!!!

Guest Grace Abounds

Hmmm...clearly I am new at this. Accidental double post. My apologies. :)

Edited by Grace Abounds

[quote name='Grace Abounds' post='1301585' date='Jun 25 2007, 09:55 PM']Hmmm...clearly I am new at this. Accidental double post. My apologies. :)[/quote]

Welcome from a fellow Texan ^_^ Double-posts are common-place around here :rolleyes:

[quote name='Grace Abounds' post='1301584' date='Jun 25 2007, 09:55 PM']Hi! I have been lurking on this phorum for a while now, but seeing a post on the Sisters of Life has made me come out of hiding! I am discerning with the Sisters of Life and am applying for entrance with them for this September. (prayers please!) Obviously I think they are amazing and I encourage anyone to at least check them out. Don't be afraid to call or visit...they couldn't be nicer!

Suzanne - Sr. Joan Marie
Mary - Sr. Mary Aquinas

I can't wait to see them in their habits!!![/quote]

Welcome to Phatmass, Grace Abounds!

It's wonderful to see many of us interests in the Sisters of Life. It's very encouraging--I'll give them a call & see what happened. If it's heavenly calling, I can't hide for long. I'll pray for you, Grace abounds. Do you mind if we will be in touch more via email address? I would like to know your discernment process and please share with me all about them. Like I said, I'm really interest it. I may even show up on their doorstep in July because I'll be in that area for business matter.

Is anyone of you out there a former Sisters of Life or Daughters of St. Paul candidate, postulant, novice, or even professed sister? I would like to hear from you too...

Will update you all...take care.

[quote name='Grace Abounds' post='1301584' date='Jun 25 2007, 09:55 PM']Hi! I have been lurking on this phorum for a while now, but seeing a post on the Sisters of Life has made me come out of hiding! I am discerning with the Sisters of Life and am applying for entrance with them for this September. (prayers please!) Obviously I think they are amazing and I encourage anyone to at least check them out. Don't be afraid to call or visit...they couldn't be nicer!

Suzanne - Sr. Joan Marie
Mary - Sr. Mary Aquinas

I can't wait to see them in their habits!!![/quote]

+

Welcome! THANK YOU for the post! Sister Joan Marie is from our Parish and Sister Mary Aquinas is a school friend. So good to hear. :) Sister Mary Aquinas is perfect for sister. tee hee.