An Old School Catholic Message Board

Monks Of Adoration Suppressed

Marieteresa

Marieteresa

Iam not sure if people know about this but the monks of adoration down in the Venice diocese have been suppressed due to lack of vocations. The monks built a monastery under the old bishop and now the newly installed bishop has asked them to leave. The really sad part is that they just build a new monastery which was completed last year and now they may have to sell it....The monks are writing to bishops all around the country to see if any are open to them coming to their diocese. The monks offered online live adoration...which was pretty cool. Please keep them in your prayers!

[url="http://www.monksofadoration.org/"]http://www.monksofadoration.org/[/url]

[quote name='Marieteresa' post='1304233' date='Jun 28 2007, 10:23 AM']Iam not sure if people know about this but the monks of adoration down in the Venice diocese have been suppressed due to lack of vocations. The monks built a monastery under the old bishop and now the newly installed bishop has asked them to leave. The really sad part is that they just build a new monastery which was completed last year and now they may have to sell it....The monks are writing to bishops all around the country to see if any are open to them coming to their diocese. The monks offered online live adoration...which was pretty cool. Please keep them in your prayers!

[url="http://www.monksofadoration.org/"]http://www.monksofadoration.org/[/url][/quote]
odd, i never understood how they have been around quite a long time, very public, moving, building etc., but never had a vocation other then the 2 original...kinda odd...

[quote name='EJames' post='1304265' date='Jun 28 2007, 12:54 PM']odd, i never understood how they have been around quite a long time, very public, moving, building etc., but never had a vocation other then the 2 original...kinda odd...[/quote]

+

That is odd. It sounds like a phantastic apostolate!

[quote name='EJames' post='1304265' date='Jun 28 2007, 12:54 PM']odd, i never understood how they have been around quite a long time, very public, moving, building etc., but never had a vocation other then the 2 original...kinda odd...[/quote]

+

That is odd. It sounds like a phantastic apostolate!

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='Marieteresa' post='1304233' date='Jun 28 2007, 01:23 PM']Iam not sure if people know about this but the monks of adoration down in the Venice diocese have been suppressed due to lack of vocations. The monks built a monastery under the old bishop and now the newly installed bishop has asked them to leave. The really sad part is that they just build a new monastery which was completed last year and now they may have to sell it....The monks are writing to bishops all around the country to see if any are open to them coming to their diocese. The monks offered online live adoration...which was pretty cool. Please keep them in your prayers!

[url="http://www.monksofadoration.org/"]http://www.monksofadoration.org/[/url][/quote]

I know Bro Craig and Bro. John. They have good intentions but it's just never worked out. When a community doesn't grow it's usually an indication that mostly likely this new religious community isn't meant to come to maturity. I had Bro. Craig's aunt as a teacher in 8th grade.

Thanks for letting me know. I'd lost track of them since I entered here.

johnnydigit

aw man that smells of elderberries. they were the first order that i actually found an interest in. i stumbled on Br. Craig's "monk notes" and have read them all.. even printed them out to read again. i liked their apostolate and their schedule and all that. they valued excercise, adoration, were into computers, etc. i even was out in Florida for a few days but never got a chance to look into them. oh well if things don't work out i hope they keep the website up because it helped me a lot. *prayers*

What a shame. I sent them money for the "Buck a Brick" Program and several of my blog's readers did the same.

A Yearning Heart

Only two brothers? and they managed to get a new monastary built? wow! grace at work! Gods work sometimes seems to be suppressed-I'm sure that either the new bishop will reconsider or they will find another bishop to welcome them elsewhere.

johnnydigit

[quote name='A Yearning Heart' post='1307317' date='Jun 30 2007, 08:31 PM']Only two brothers? and they managed to get a new monastary built? wow! grace at work! Gods work sometimes seems to be suppressed-I'm sure that either the new bishop will reconsider or they will find another bishop to welcome them elsewhere.[/quote]

hm if they were to come to california, i'd be there..

Sometimes God closes a door and opens it somewhere else to lead us to the place we need to go. If God has blessed the brothers in many ways and made their ministry fruitful, perhaps He is just testing their faith by this suppression and will lead them to a new place where they will find vocations. The first Passionists had only two vocations, St. Paul of the Cross and his brother, for many years and eventually became a large group bearing great fruit for the Church. Let us pray for these good men that they will have deep trust and much virtue at this very difficult time in their life of faith.

• 11 years later...

I was a member of this community for nearly 4 years. The 'leader' was a drug addict/alcoholic/cross dresser. I was forced to photograph him and videotape him in various guises (dresses, full make up etc). I was nearly killed when he was driving under the influence and had to run into a heart clinic to beg them to call the police. Bishop Nevins as well as various parish priests were made aware of the goings on there. I surrendered photos and videotapes to them. Upon my demanding to use a phone to call the Bishop himself, both Craig and John ran after me in the car while I ran into a nearby cemetery office (next to the monastery). Luckily the owner there knew me and helped me barricade myself into their office while Craig and John tried to ram the door in. NOTHING they did was above board. It was clearly mental and emotional abuse on every level. Craig died last year I believe. 

There was NEVER ANY MASS offered there as John was absent 3 days out of 7 visiting parents. Craig never got out of bed to go to the local parish for daily Mass and I was forced to enroll the Knights of Columbus members to drive me to church! THEY knew what was going on as well but as usual, when you're Catholic you're buried alive along with your tales and truths of abuse by 'clergy'. Neither Craig nor John were ever ordained nor enrolled in any legal, canonical community. They simply played at being monks for nearly 20 years and conned the whole east coast into believing they were something they were not.

I've repented many times for having spent a moment in that life with the both of them. John went on to destroy my vocation in another CANONICAL monastery in Wisconsin (Benedictine) by filling the abbot's ear with lies and untruths about me. On the other hand I HAD PHOTOS of all of their misdeeds. 

Also, Craig and I were thrown out of Walmart where he was found on video cameras, painted up like a whore but in full grey habit that we wore as monks!! He kept screaming "I"m Brother Craig and I am the HEAD of the monastery!" as he threw business cards all over the floor.

I am grateful for this public venue to let others know what happened there. I pray for healing of my various wounds caused by these two odd-balls. They acted far more like college b buddies than 'superiors' in a monastery. Their entire focus of love and charity focused ONLY on themselves and what was good for their bizarre relationship.

Caution here, people!  Why did this just pop up out of nowhere from a 1st time poster in response to a thread 11 years old.  Just sayin....it's happened before. My antennas are on "high alert"!

I was a member of this community for nearly 4 years. The 'leader' was a drug addict/alcoholic/cross dresser. I was forced to photograph him and videotape him in various guises (dresses, full make up etc). I was nearly killed when he was driving under the influence and had to run into a heart clinic to beg them to call the police. Bishop Nevins as well as various parish priests were made aware of the goings on there. I surrendered photos and videotapes to them. Upon my demanding to use a phone to call the Bishop himself, both Craig and John ran after me in the car while I ran into a nearby cemetery office (next to the monastery). Luckily the owner there knew me and helped me barricade myself into their office while Craig and John tried to ram the door in. NOTHING they did was above board. It was clearly mental and emotional abuse on every level. Craig died last year I believe. 

There was NEVER ANY MASS offered there as John was absent 3 days out of 7 visiting parents. Craig never got out of bed to go to the local parish for daily Mass and I was forced to enroll the Knights of Columbus members to drive me to church! THEY knew what was going on as well but as usual, when you're Catholic you're buried alive along with your tales and truths of abuse by 'clergy'. Neither Craig nor John were ever ordained nor enrolled in any legal, canonical community. They simply played at being monks for nearly 20 years and conned the whole east coast into believing they were something they were not.

I've repented many times for having spent a moment in that life with the both of them. John went on to destroy my vocation in another CANONICAL monastery in Wisconsin (Benedictine) by filling the abbot's ear with lies and untruths about me. On the other hand I HAD PHOTOS of all of their misdeeds. 

Also, Craig and I were thrown out of Walmart where he was found on video cameras, painted up like a whore but in full grey habit that we wore as monks!! He kept screaming "I"m Brother Craig and I am the HEAD of the monastery!" as he threw business cards all over the floor.

I am grateful for this public venue to let others know what happened there. I pray for healing of my various wounds caused by these two odd-balls. They acted far more like college b buddies than 'superiors' in a monastery. Their entire focus of love and charity focused ONLY on themselves and what was good for their bizarre relationship.

The    reason this just popped up is because I didnt have access to internet in the REAL MONASTERY i joined afterwards. Think before you speak. Write or call the diocese of Venice in Florida and ask them for facts. 

This may have popped up to you but I've been suffering from ptsd ever since I encountered these folks. Men from Philippines came to join (John went and got them) but once they found holes drilled into the bathroom and shower doors; they left quickly.

One Sunday while John stayed home to have his beer, Craig forced me to go visit his parents who lived a mile down the road. He said we were going to his parents but we ended up at the beach where he passed out on the surf from his self-medications. Several times he tried to play with little boys there using a sick Kermit the frog voice. The boys all ran away frightened. The mothers threatened to call the police. I gave them my phone and begged them to!

Once Craig came out of his passing out hour...he claimed that he grabbed a boy out of the waves who faced certain death. Guess whos boy it was? He claimed it was Tom Hanks son. HUH? Of course no one saw anything of this drama/lie/bulloney episode and John was livid that he couldn't stay home in the monastery and get drunk because he had to come drive us home; making two trips. 

John was told everything and was given photographic evidences to many things but he ignored it all. He was so in love/smitten with this phoney religious superior that he couldn't think straight.

I still grieve over alllll the money I personally counted or saw come in the mail to memorial plaques that were never made; Masses that were never said. In fact, Craig came perhaps ONCE to the daily Liturgy of the Hours. John rarely came and I was left alone to carry the whole burden of prayer before the blessed Sacrament.

If you want proof: Call Vladymr at the Chancellory office. Call Fr Sheehan at Our Lady of Lourdes or Fr Padillo also from Our Lady of Lourdes in Venice/Englewood. 

Will anyone dare speak the truth here? 

This is a forum for discerners of religious life, and as such all the information provided here  should be timely, up to date, relevant, and truthful. This thread is eleven years old, and it was about the community's suppression. It's not possible for anyone to join them any more and no one here was ever looking to join them. So the info provided here is not timely, up to date, or relevant, and as to whether it's truthful, that's not the responsibility of Phatmass users to find out. It doesn't help them in any way, and Mark, I don't think it helps you either. It seems that you are looking for a place to vent about these former monks, but a forum for discerners who have no connection whatsoever with the suppressed community isn't the right place for you to offload. A PTSD forum would be better.

• beatitude locked this topic