The NEW Forums are open > phatmass.com/forums/
All phatmasser usernames have been transferred, but you will have to create new password.

Photo
- - - - -

How Do You Pronounce "extraordinary"

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Pronounce "extraordinary"

How do you pronounce the word "extraordinary" (If you use both pronunciations, which do you use more frequently)?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

What term do you most often use to describe the Roman Missal of 1962?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

What term do you most often use to describe the Roman Missal of 1970?

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Resurrexi

Resurrexi

Iudica me, Deus, et discerne causam meam.

• n00b
  • 14,963 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 05:30 AM

BTW, just so everyone knows, the word "Liturgy" can refer either to "the whole complex of official services, all the rites, ceremonies, prayers, and sacraments of the Church, as opposed to private devotions" or to "the Sacrifice of the Holy Eucharist."

#2 Didymus

Didymus

Lurker

• Church Militant
  • 4,867 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 05:46 AM

i think i use the latter pronunciation when referring to the liturgy and the first pronunciation when I use the word in general

#3 IcePrincessKRS

IcePrincessKRS

Princess Bling Bling

• Church Militant
  • 26,725 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 09 July 2007 - 06:09 AM

Extra ordinary.

I voted Forma Extraordinaria, but I do still vary it so its probably actually about even with Traditional Latin Mass and Tridentine. I still have a tendency to call the Forma Ordinaria NO, though.

#4 Pio Nono

Pio Nono

PM Pham

• Catholic Clergy
  • 2,114 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 07:21 AM

JMJ
7/9 - Fourteenth Monday

Benedikt uses forma extraordinaria twice, as well as rituali/formam antiquor twice as well in Summorum Pontificum.

I've just become accustomed to using "classical Roman Liturgy" and "modern Roman Liturgy" over the past few years. Hopefully, this new terminology will wipe out the woefully popular terms "Tridentine Mass," "Tridentine Rite" (which I have used before), and "Pauline Rite".

#5 IcePrincessKRS

IcePrincessKRS

Princess Bling Bling

• Church Militant
  • 26,725 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 09 July 2007 - 07:39 AM

Yeah, I really like Forma Ordinaria and Forma Extraordinaria.

#6 Chiquitunga

Chiquitunga

+ Ven. María Felicia de Jesús Sacramentado, pray for us! +

• Church Militant
  • 3,483 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 09 July 2007 - 08:16 AM

I used to always say the Tridentine Latin Mass, and lately I've been saying both that and the Traditional Latin Mass, though since the new name of the Forma Extraordinaria, I will probably try to go by that one now. Yes, I also really like the 2 new names Forma Extraordinaria & Forma Ordinaria. I have just recently heard the term Classical Roman Liturgy for the whole liturgy, the Mass and Divine Office, which is a name I very much like also.

For the ordinary form, I stopped saying Novus Ordo since I heard the music director at St. John Cantius always refer to it as the Mass of Pope Paul VI, and never as the Novus Ordo. So then I decided I would refer to it as this also, which is how the Holy Father refers to it too in his letter.

I especially liked in his letter how he said these two missals of the Roman Rite do not contradict each other.

Edited by Margaret Clare, 09 July 2007 - 08:19 AM.

#7 LouisvilleFan

LouisvilleFan

I Can Change My Own Title Now

• Chummy Commoner
  • 4,332 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 09 July 2007 - 08:40 AM

i think i use the latter pronunciation when referring to the liturgy and the first pronunciation when I use the word in general

Yeah, that seems to emphasize the two different meanings. The word is usually synonymous with great or excellent, but in the liturgical context, the latter pronounciation emphasizes the "extra" so people know you mean "other than ordinary."

Of course, if you're an amesome extraordinary communion minister, one might say, "Dude, check out how that eSTROARdinary extraOARdinary communion minister!"

I'll bet this is one of those regional things... in the South and West, they probably tend to use the first pronounciation (it's a bit lazier) and the Northeast and Midwest probably tend to prefer the second.

#8 goldenchild17

goldenchild17

• Church Militant
  • 5,708 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 09:37 AM

extra - ordinary
other
other

#9 tomasio127

tomasio127

Pro-Paraclete Papist

• Church Militant
  • 5,201 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 09 July 2007 - 09:58 AM

I put that I most often use Tridentine and and Novus Ordo, but I will probably being using Forma Extraordinaria and Forma Ordinaria (or Extra-ordinary Form and Ordinary Form) a lot more now, if enough non-PM people understand what I mean by it.

#10 kateri05

kateri05

PM Pham

• Church Militant
  • 2,794 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 03:59 PM

Yeah, I really like Forma Ordinaria and Forma Extraordinaria.

me too, i've totally adopted them ^_^ practical latin is so much fun... weeeeeee :lol_roll:

#11 homeschoolmom

homeschoolmom

It is uncouthed to speak illy of the dead.

• Church Militant
  • 37,541 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 09 July 2007 - 04:16 PM

I used to say "Normal Mass" and "Indult" but I guess I will have to come up with something else...

(I'm kidding... )

#12 Apotheoun

Apotheoun

Phatmass Church Scholar Emeritus 2004-2006

• Banned
  • 23,621 posts
  • Eastern Catholic

Posted 09 July 2007 - 05:20 PM

I normally use: Mass of St. Pius V, and Mass of Paul VI; or the Missal of St. Pius V, and the Missal of Paul VI.

#13 Totus Tuus

Totus Tuus

• Church Militant
  • 6,309 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 05:24 PM

I don't think it matters how you pronounce "extraordinary". It means the same thing whichever way you say it. As a side note, the person who read the Motu Proprio of 7.7.07 at our breakfast group on Sunday did pronounce it "extra-ordinary" ^_^

#14 journeyman

journeyman

Lurker

• Church Militant
  • 5,298 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 07:05 PM

mostly #1, but my first syllable comes out of #2

#15 T-Bone _

T-Bone _

Resident Oddball and Commander of Phatmass

• n00b
  • 13,016 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 09:11 AM

Same here

#16 photosynthesis

photosynthesis

Queen of the Parish Bake Sale

• Church Militant
  • 6,412 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 10:42 PM

In the context of theology and the liturgy, I use the latter pronunciation. In the context of anything else, the former.

Most Catholic n00bs don't know what the Tridentine Mass is, but they assume that I'm talking about it when I say "Traditional Latin Mass" because they they think Latin was somehow banned from the Liturgy after Vatican II.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users