An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Do You Pronounce "extraordinary"

Resurrexi

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

BTW, just so everyone knows, the word "Liturgy" can refer either to "the whole complex of official services, all the rites, ceremonies, prayers, and sacraments of the Church, as opposed to private devotions" or to "the Sacrifice of the Holy Eucharist."

i think i use the latter pronunciation when referring to the liturgy and the first pronunciation when I use the word in general

IcePrincessKRS

Extra ordinary.

I voted Forma Extraordinaria, but I do still vary it so its probably actually about even with TLM and Tridentine. I still have a tendency to call the Forma Ordinaria NO, though.

JMJ
7/9 - Fourteenth Monday

Benedikt uses [i]forma extraordinaria[/i] twice, as well as [i]rituali/formam antiquor[/i] twice as well in [i]Summorum Pontificum[/i].

I've just become accustomed to using "classical Roman Liturgy" and "modern Roman Liturgy" over the past few years. Hopefully, this new terminology will wipe out the woefully popular terms "Tridentine Mass," "Tridentine Rite" (which I have used before), and "Pauline Rite".

Chiquitunga

I used to always say the Tridentine Latin Mass, and lately I've been saying both that and the Traditional Latin Mass, though since the new name of the Forma Extraordinaria, I will probably try to go by that one now. Yes, I also really like the 2 new names Forma Extraordinaria & Forma Ordinaria. I have just recently heard the term Classical Roman Liturgy for the whole liturgy, the Mass and Divine Office, which is a name I very much like also.

For the ordinary form, I stopped saying Novus Ordo since I heard the music director at St. John Cantius always refer to it as the Mass of Pope Paul VI, and never as the Novus Ordo. So then I decided I would refer to it as this also, which is how the Holy Father refers to it too in his letter.

I especially liked in his letter how he said these two missals of the Roman Rite do not contradict each other.

Edited by Margaret Clare

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Didymus' post='1320155' date='Jul 9 2007, 08:46 AM']i think i use the latter pronunciation when referring to the liturgy and the first pronunciation when I use the word in general[/quote]

Yeah, that seems to emphasize the two different meanings. The word is usually synonymous with great or excellent, but in the liturgical context, the latter pronounciation emphasizes the "extra" so people know you mean "other than ordinary."

Of course, if you're an awesome extraordinary communion minister, one might say, "Dude, check out how that eSTROARdinary extraOARdinary communion minister!"

I'll bet this is one of those regional things... in the South and West, they probably tend to use the first pronounciation (it's a bit lazier) and the Northeast and Midwest probably tend to prefer the second.

I put that I most often use Tridentine and and Novus Ordo, but I will probably being using Forma Extraordinaria and Forma Ordinaria (or Extra-ordinary Form and Ordinary Form) a lot more now, if enough non-PM people understand what I mean by it.

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1320195' date='Jul 9 2007, 07:39 AM']Yeah, I really like Forma Ordinaria and Forma Extraordinaria.[/quote]

me too, i've totally adopted them ^_^ practical latin is so much fun... weeeeeee :lol_roll:

homeschoolmom

I used to say "Normal Mass" and "Indult" but I guess I will have to come up with something else...

(I'm kidding... )

I normally use: Mass of St. Pius V, and Mass of Paul VI; or the Missal of St. Pius V, and the Missal of Paul VI.

Totus Tuus

I don't think it matters how you pronounce "extraordinary". It means the same thing whichever way you say it. As a side note, the person who read the Motu Proprio of 7.7.07 at our breakfast group on Sunday did pronounce it "extra-ordinary" ^_^

[quote name='Didymus' post='1320155' date='Jul 9 2007, 05:46 AM']i think i use the latter pronunciation when referring to the liturgy and the first pronunciation when I use the word in general[/quote]

Same here