An Old School Catholic Message Board

"what They Did For Bliss"

Veritas

[quote name='Veritas' post='1328457' date='Jul 14 2007, 01:51 PM']+

That did strike me as odd also. Doesn't seem very Catholic. I'm trying to give them the benefit of the doubt that there is more than meets the eye from this article, but obviously, one would need to look into things very carefully before supporting them.[/quote]

Yes. The source I was quoting was a sister I lived with at OLAM, not the article though ^_^

[quote name='stlmom' post='1328579' date='Jul 14 2007, 05:11 PM']If anyone here saw Sr. Gertrude Gillette, OSB, on EWTN Live last Wednesday, they might recall when she mentioned that historically the Benedictines did not observe what we know as papal enclosure. While St. Benedict expected his monastics to be self sufficient within the monastery, it was anticipated that they would have occasional need to venture out from time to time, and St. Benedict even refers to this in his Rule. Most Benedictine nuns here observe constitutional enclosure for these purposes---only going out as necessary.

With as much intellectual talent as they seem to expect, (and yes, it kind of puts me off, too,) good thing St. Benedict devoted as much space as he did to humility in his Rule--his chapter on humility is the longest of any in his Rule, and has been described as the heart of the Rule by a number of Benedictine writers.[/quote]

+

Fascinating. Thank you.