An Old School Catholic Message Board

Grinding A Mortal Sin?

Resurrexi

Dreamweaver

What's so sinful about making your own hamburger meat? ^_^

I'm not the most knowledgable person to answer your question, but I will pose the question, what is the purpose of grinding? To get turned on? To get sexually excited?

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1329439' date='Jul 15 2007, 12:01 PM']Is grinding a mortal sin or is it a venial sin?[/quote]

+

This is serious spirituality? I have to laugh a little. :lol_roll:

Yes, mortal. Simulating the sex act -hmmm, that's a serious no, no for a multitude of reasons.

goldenchild17

if you know it's a serious sin (which I have no doubt it is) and do it anyways, then it's mortal.

LouisvilleFan

Well, it took a few posts for me to figure out what he was talking about... at first, I thought he was asking about grinding your teeth. I think tetanus can cause it, but seems like I've heard of it connected with some psychological conditions. Anyway, I was totally off the mark on that one. :)

Although, to add another variable to the hypothetical situation, it's possible for one to be under the influence of alcohol, and especially if one wasn't aware of their limits, they wouldn't be as culpable for their actions. Not to say, of course, that someone couldn't be scandalized anyway (which could be potentially worse than committing a mortal sin that didn't cause scandal). Also, drinking with the intention of "removing" yourself from your intended actions only increases your sin.

it depends on how culpable they were for getting drunk. if you culpably get drunk, then you've acheived some level of culpability for everything you do while your drunk (not full culpability mind you, but since you put yourself in the situation to cause you to do it, that's culpability even if in the moment you couldn't control yourself since it was your fault you couldn't control yourself)

If you have a party and there are people grinding at your party are you morally culpable for their actions?

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1331279' date='Jul 16 2007, 07:09 PM']If you have a party and there are people grinding at your party are you morally culpable for their actions?[/quote]

+

Depends.

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1331038' date='Jul 16 2007, 04:57 PM']it depends on how culpable they were for getting drunk. if you culpably get drunk, then you've acheived some level of culpability for everything you do while your drunk (not full culpability mind you, but since you put yourself in the situation to cause you to do it, that's culpability even if in the moment you couldn't control yourself since it was your fault you couldn't control yourself)[/quote]

I'd say if you intentionally (or culpably) get drunk, you're responsible for what you do while drunk. Maybe if it's the first or second time you ever got drunk, or somehow you honestly didn't feel it coming until it was too late, you may not be as much at fault. But more than likely, you know what's going to happen, so you're left with no excuse.

Either way, the best thing to do, even if you think you aren't fully responsible, is to own up to your actions at Confession and receive some good counsel and God's mercy.

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1331279' date='Jul 16 2007, 08:09 PM']If you have a party and there are people grinding at your party are you morally culpable for their actions?[/quote]

Probably not... depends on if it was your idea to play hip-hop music with a strong beat :) But some people are just gonna do what they want regardless. I feel like there's a point where this doctrine of mortal and venial sins can be abused in a way where we worry more about remaining "clean" of mortal sin and less about being faithful witnesses to the Gospel. If you're avoiding sinners because you're afraid of being a sinner, it's kinda defeating the purpose :)

I wonder if there just isn't an answer on the culpability during drunkenness thing. It could depend on how drunk and etc.
If somebody falls from grace, then doesn't it change the game afterwards?
Drunkenness could be the fall from grace, and then a lack of sanctification from then on would be a lessened ability from a soul that is dead regardless.

Also, it reminded me of another thing about demonic possession....it is a sin to become possessed and then after that point, there is not necessarily guilt. (That is the way I have heard it almost every time.) Drunkenness and possession are apples and oranges of course. Just saying.

cmotherofpirl

Occasionally it would be nice for a simple [clean!!!!!!] definition for us old people. Has this any relation to what is known as "freaking"?

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1332085' date='Jul 17 2007, 09:38 AM']Occasionally it would be nice for a simple [clean!!!!!!] definition for us old people. Has this any relation to what is known as "freaking"?[/quote]

I have no clue what freaking is, but grinding is when a guy and a girl are "dancing" to music by imitating the marriage act, but standing and with clothes on. (Of course, it's entirely probable that a girl who'd grind would only really be half-clothed, but that's a different story.) (Mods, if that's too graphic a description, then please delete.)

Edit (btw, do NOT look it up on wikipedia - has pretty explicit descriptions) apparently freaking and grinding are the same thing.

Edited by scardella