An Old School Catholic Message Board

The 150 Psalms

Resurrexi

Psalms
Chapter 17 (NAB - Psalm 16 under other numbering systems)

A prayer of David. [i]1[/i] Hear, LORD, my plea for justice; pay heed to my cry; Listen to my prayer spoken without guile.
From you let my vindication come; your eyes see what is right.
You have tested my heart, searched it in the night. You have tried me by fire, but find no malice in me. My mouth has not transgressed
as humans often do. As your lips have instructed me, I have kept the way of the law.
My steps have kept to your paths; my feet have not faltered.
I call upon you; answer me, O God. Turn your ear to me; hear my prayer.
Show your wonderful love, you who deliver with your right arm those who seek refuge from their foes.
[i]2[/i] Keep me as the apple of your eye; hide me in the shadow of your wings
from the violence of the wicked.
[i]3[/i] My ravenous enemies press upon me; they close their hearts, they fill their mouths with proud roaring.
Their steps even now encircle me; they watch closely, keeping low to the ground,
Like lions eager for prey, like young lions lurking in ambush.
Rise, O LORD, confront and cast them down; rescue me so from the wicked.
Slay them with your sword; with your hand, LORD, slay them; snatch them from the world in their prime. Their bellies are being filled with your friends; their children are satisfied too, for they share what is left with their young.
[i]4[/i] I am just--let me see your face; when I awake, let me be filled with your presence.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost. As it was in the beginning is not and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

[i]1[/i] [Psalm 17] A lament of an individual unjustly attacked who has taken refuge in the temple. Confident of being found innocent, the psalmist cries out for God's just judgment (Psalm 17:1-5) and requests divine help against enemies (Psalm 17:6-9a). Those ravenous lions (Psalm 17:9b-12) should be punished (Psalm 17:13-14). The psalm ends with a serene statement of praise (Psalm 17:15). The Hebrew text of Psalm 17:3-4, 14 is uncertain.

[i]2[/i] [8] Apple of your eye . . . shadow of your wings: images of God's special care. Cf Deut 32:10; Proverb 7:2; Isaiah 49:2.

[i]3[/i] [10-12,14] An extended metaphor: the enemies are lions.

[i]4[/i] [15] When I awake: probably the psalmist has spent the night in the sanctuary (cf Psalm 17:3) and hopes to wake to an oracle assuring God's protective presence.

New American Bible Copyright © 1991, 1986, 1970 Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, Inc., Washington, DC.

Edited by journeyman

Psalm 17

1 Unto the end, for David the servant of the Lord, who spoke to the Lord the words of this canticle, in the day that the Lord delivered him from the hands of all his enemies, and from the hand of Saul. [2 Kings 22.]

2 I will love thee, O Lord, my strength:

3 The Lord is my firmament, my refuge, and my deliverer. My God is my helper, and in him will I put my trust. My protector and the horn of my salvation, and my support.

4 Praising I will call upon the Lord: and I shall be saved from my enemies.

5 The sorrows of death surrounded me: and the torrents of iniquity troubled me.

6 The sorrows of hell encompassed me: and the snares of death prevented me.

7 In my affliction I called upon the Lord, and I cried to my God: And he heard my voice from his holy temple: and my cry before him came into his ears.

8 The earth shook and trembled: the foundations of the mountains were troubled and were moved, because he was angry with them.

9 There went up a smoke in his wrath: and a fire flamed from his face: coals were kindled by it.

10 He bowed the heavens, and came down: and darkness was under his feet.

11 And he ascended upon the cherubim, and he flew; he flew upon the wings of the winds.

12 And he made darkness his covert, his pavilion round about him: dark waters in the clouds of the air.

13 At the brightness that was before him the clouds passed, hail and coals of fire.

14 And the Lord thundered from heaven, and the highest gave his voice: hail and coals of fire.

15 And he sent forth his arrows, and he scattered them: he multiplied lightnings, and troubled them.

16 Then the fountains of waters appeared, and the foundations of the world were discovered: At thy rebuke, O Lord, at the blast of the spirit of thy wrath.

17 He sent from on high, and took me: and received me out of many waters.

18 He delivered me from my strongest enemies, and from them that hated me: for they were too strong for me.

19 They prevented me in the day of my affliction: and the Lord became my protector.

20 And he brought me forth into a large place: he saved me, because he was well pleased with me.

21 And the Lord will reward me according to my justice; and will repay me according to the cleanness of my hands:

22 Because I have kept the ways of the Lord; and have not done wickedly against my God.

23 For till his judgments are in my sight: and his justices I have not put away from me.

24 And I shall be spotless with him: and shall keep myself from my iniquity.

25 And the Lord will reward me according to my justice; and according to the cleanness of my hands before his eyes.

26 With the holy, thou wilt be holy; and with the innocent man thou wilt be innocent.

27 And with the elect thou wilt be elect: and with the perverse thou wilt be perverted.

28 For thou wilt save the humble people; but wilt bring down the eyes of the proud.

29 For thou lightest my lamp, O Lord: O my God enlighten my darkness.

30 For by thee I shall be delivered from temptation; and through my God I shall go over a wall.

31 As for my God, his way is undefiled: the words of the Lord are fire tried: he is the protector of all that trust in him.

32 For who is God but the Lord? or who is God but our God?

33 God who hath girt me with strength; and made my way blameless.

34 Who hath made my feet like the feet of harts: and who setteth me upon high places.

35 Who teacheth my hands to war: and thou hast made my arms like a brazen bow.

36 And thou hast given me the protection of thy salvation: and thy right hand hath held me up: And thy discipline hath corrected me unto the end: and thy discipline, the same shall teach me.

37 Thou hast enlarged my steps under me; and my feet are not weakened.

38 I will pursue after my enemies, and overtake them: and I will not turn again till they are consumed.

39 I will break them, and they shall not be able to stand: they shall fall under my feet.

40 And thou hast girded me with strength unto battle; and hast subdued under me them that rose up against me.

41 And thou hast made my enemies turn their back upon me, and hast destroyed them that hated me.

42 They cried, but there was none to save them, to the Lord: but he heard them not.

43 And I shall beat them as small as the dust before the wind; I shall bring them to nought, like the dirt in the streets.

44 Thou wilt deliver me from the contradictions of the people: thou wilt make me head of the Gentiles.

45 A people, which I knew not, hath served me: at the hearing of the ear they have obeyed me.

46 The children that are strangers have lied to me, strange children have faded away, and have halted from their paths.

47 The Lord liveth, and blessed be my God, and let the God of my salvation be exalted :

48 O God, who avengest me, and subduest the people under me, my deliverer from my enemies.

49 And thou wilt lift me up above them that rise up against me: from the unjust man thou wilt deliver me.

50 Therefore will I give glory to thee, O Lord, among the nations, and I will sing a psalm to thy name.

51 Giving great deliverance to his king, and shewing mercy to David his anointed : and to his seed for ever.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost. As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

Psalm 18
1 Unto the end. A psalm for David.
2 THE heavens shew forth the glory of God, and the firmament declareth the work of his hands.
3 Day to day uttereth speech, and night to night sheweth knowledge.
4 There are no speeches nor languages, where their voices are not heard.
5 Their sound hath gone forth into all the earth: and their words unto the ends of the world.
6 He hath set his tabernacle in the sun: and he, as a bridegroom coming out of his bride chamber, Hath rejoiced as a giant to run the way:
7 His going out is from the end of heaven, And his circuit even to the end thereof: and there is no one that can hide himself from his heat.
8 The law of the Lord is unspotted, converting souls: the testimony of the Lord is faithful, giving wisdom to little ones.
9 The justices of the Lord are right, rejoicing hearts: the commandment of the Lord is lightsome, enlightening the eyes.
10 The fear of the Lord is holy, enduring for ever and ever: the judgments of the Lord are true, justified in themselves.
11 More to be desired than gold and many precious stones: and sweeter than honey and the honeycomb
12 For thy servant keepeth them, and in keeping them there is a great reward.
13 Who can understand sins? from my secret ones cleanse me, O Lord:
14 and from those of others spare thy servant. If they shall have no dominion over me, then shall I be without spot: and I shall be cleansed from the greatest sin.
15 And the words of my mouth shall be such as may please: and the meditation of my heart always in thy sight. O Lord, my helper, and my redeemer
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost. As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

Edited by StThomasMore

KnightofChrist

Psalm 19

[i]Exaudiat te Dominus. A prayer for the king.[/i]

2 May the Lord hear thee in the day of tribulation: may the name of the God of Jacob protect thee.

3 May he send thee help from the sanctuary: and defend thee out of Sion.

4 May he be mindful of all thy sacrifices: and may thy whole burnt offering be made fat.

5 May he give thee according to thy own heart; and confirm all thy counsels.

6 We will rejoice in thy salvation; and in the name of our God we shall be exalted.

7 The Lord fulfill all thy petitions: now have I known that the Lord hath saved his anointed. He will hear him from his holy heaven: the salvation of his right hand is in powers.

8 Some trust in chariots, and some in horses: but we will call upon the name of the Lord our God.

9 They are bound, and have fallen; but we are risen, and are set upright. O Lord, save the king: and hear us in the day that we shall call upon thee.

KnightofChrist

Psalm 20

[i]Domine, in virtute. Praise to God for Christ's exaltation after his passion.
[/i]

2 In thy strength, O Lord, the king shall joy; and in thy salvation he shall rejoice exceedingly.

3 Thou hast given him his heart's desire: and hast not withholden from him the will of his lips.

4 For thou hast prevented him with blessings of sweetness: thou hast set on his head a crown of precious stones.

5 He asked life of thee: and thou hast given him length of days for ever and ever.

6 His glory is great in thy salvation: glory and great beauty shalt thou lay upon him.

7 For thou shalt give him to be a blessing for ever and ever: thou shalt make him joyful in gladness with thy countenance.

8 For the king hopeth in the Lord: and through the mercy of the most High he shall not be moved.

9 Let thy hand be found by all thy enemies: let thy right hand find out all them that hate thee.

10 Thou shalt make them as an oven of fire, in the time of thy anger: the Lord shall trouble them in his wrath, and fire shall devour them.

11 Their fruit shalt thou destroy from the earth: and their seed from among the children of men.

12 For they have intended evils against thee: they have devised counsels which they have not been able to establish.

13 For thou shalt make them turn their back: in thy remnants thou shalt prepare their face.

14 Be thou exalted, O Lord, in thy own strength: we will sing and praise thy power.

Psalm 21

1 Unto the end, for the morning protection, a psalm for David.

2 O God my God, look upon me: why hast thou forsaken me? Far from my salvation are the words of my sins.

3 O my God, I shall cry by day, and thou wilt not hear: and by night, and it shall not be reputed as folly in me.

4 But thou dwellest in the holy place, the praise of Israel.

5 In thee have our fathers hoped: they have hoped, and thou hast delivered them.

6 They cried to thee, and they were saved: they trusted in thee, and were not confounded.

7 But I am a worm, and no man: the reproach of men, and the outcast of the people.

8 All they that saw me have laughed me to scorn: they have spoken with the lips, and wagged the head.

9 He hoped in the Lord, let him deliver him: let him save him, seeing he delighteth in him.

10 For thou art he that hast drawn me out of the womb: my hope from the breasts of my mother.

11 I was cast upon thee from the womb. From my mother's womb thou art my God,

12 depart not from me. For tribulation is very near: for there is none to help me.

13 Many calves have surrounded me: fat bulls have besieged me.

14 They have opened their mouths against me, as a lion ravening and roaring.

15 I am poured out like water; and all my bones are scattered. My heart is become like wax melting in the midst of my bowels.

16 My strength is dried up like a potsherd, and my tongue hath cleaved to my jaws: and thou hast brought me down into the dust of death.

17 For many dogs have encompassed me: the council of the malignant hath besieged me. They have dug my hands and feet.

18 They have numbered all my bones. And they have looked and stared upon me.

19 They parted my garments amongst them; and upon my vesture they cast lots.

20 But thou, O Lord, remove not thy help to a distance from me; look towards my defence.

21 Deliver, O God, my soul from the sword: my only one from the hand of the dog.

22 Save me from the lion's mouth; and my lowness from the horns of the unicorns.

23 I will declare thy name to my brethren: in the midst of the church will I praise thee.

24 Ye that fear the Lord, praise him: all ye the seed of Jacob, glorify him.

25 Let all the seed of Israel fear him: because he hath not slighted nor despised the supplication of the poor man. Neither hath he turned away his face from me: and when I cried to him he heard me.

26 With thee is my praise in a great church: I will pay my vows in the sight of them that fear him.

27 The poor shall eat and shall be filled: and they shall praise the Lord that seek him: their hearts shall live for ever and ever.

28 All the ends of the earth shall remember, and shall be converted to the Lord: And all the kindreds of the Gentiles shall adore in his sight.

29 For the kingdom is the Lord's; and he shall have dominion over the nations.

30 All the fat ones of the earth have eaten and have adored: all they that go down to the earth shall fall before him.

31 And to him my soul shall live: and my seed shall serve him.

32 There shall be declared to the Lord a generation to come: and the heavens shall shew forth his justice to a people that shall be born, which the Lord hath made.

brendan1104

Psalm 22
Dominus regit me. God's spiritual benefits to faithful souls.

1 A psalm for David. The Lord ruleth me: and I shall want nothing.

2 He hath set me in a place of pasture. He hath brought me up, on the water of refreshment:

3 He hath converted my soul. He hath led me on the paths of justice, for his own name's sake.

4 For though I should walk in the midst of the shadow of death, I will fear no evils, for thou art with me. Thy rod and thy staff, they have comforted me.

5 Thou hast prepared a table before me against them that afflict me. Thou hast anointed my head with oil; and my chalice which inebriateth me, how goodly is it!

6 And thy mercy will follow me all the days of my life. And that I may dwell in the house of the Lord unto length of days.

Psalms Chapter 22

[color="#C0C0C0"]Note
Dominus regit me.[/color]

[color="#C0C0C0"]Note
God's spiritual benefits to faithful souls.[/color]

22:1
A psalm for David. The Lord ruleth me: and I shall want nothing.

[color="#C0C0C0"]Note
Ruleth me. . .In Hebrew, Is my shepherd, viz., to feed, guide, and govern me.[/color]

22:2
He hath set me in a place of pasture. He hath brought me up, on the water of refreshment:

22:3
He hath converted my soul. He hath led me on the paths of justice, for his own name's sake.

22:4
For though I should walk in the midst of the shadow of death, I will fear no evils, for thou art with me. Thy rod and thy staff, they have comforted me.

22:5
Thou hast prepared a table before me against them that afflict me. Thou hast anointed my head with oil; and my chalice which inebreateth me, how goodly is it!

22:6
And thy mercy will follow me all the days of my life. And that I may dwell in the house of the Lord unto length of days.

Psalms Chapter 23

[color="#C0C0C0"]Note
Domini est terra.

Note
Who are they that shall ascend to heaven: Christ's triumphant ascension thither.[/color]

23:1
On the first day of the week, a psalm for David. The earth is the Lord's and the fulness thereof: the world, and all they that dwell therein.

23:2
For he hath founded it upon the seas; and hath prepared it upon the rivers.

23:3
Who shall ascend into the mountain of the Lord: or who shall stand in his holy place?

23:4
The innocent in hands, and clean of heart, who hath not taken his soul in vain, nor sworn deceitfully to his neighbour.

23:5
He shall receive a blessing from the Lord, and mercy from God his Saviour.

23:6
This is the generation of them that seek him, of them that seek the face of the God of Jacob.

23:7
Lift up your gates, O ye princes, and be ye lifted up, O eternal gates: and the King of Glory shall enter in.

23:8
Who is this King of Glory? the Lord who is strong and mighty: the Lord mighty in battle.

23:9
Lift up your gates, O ye princes, and be ye lifted up, O eternal gates: and the King of Glory shall enter in.

23:10
Who is this King of Glory? the Lord of hosts, he is the King of Glory.

psalm 24

1 A psalm of David. The earth is the LORD'S and all it holds, the world and those who live there.
For God founded it on the seas, established it over the rivers.
Who may go up the mountain of the LORD? Who can stand in his holy place?
2 "The clean of hand and pure of heart, who are not devoted to idols, who have not sworn falsely.
They will receive blessings from the LORD, and justice from their saving God.
Such are the people that love the LORD, that seek the face of the God of Jacob." Selah
3 Lift up your heads, O gates; rise up, you ancient portals, that the king of glory may enter.
Who is this king of glory? The LORD, a mighty warrior, the LORD, mighty in battle.
Lift up your heads, O gates; rise up, you ancient portals, that the king of glory may enter.
Who is this king of glory? The LORD of hosts is the king of glory. Selah

KnightofChrist

Psalm 25

[i]Judica me, Domine. David's prayer to God in his distress, to be delivered, that he may come to worship him in his tabernacle.[/i]

1 Unto the end, a psalm for David. Judge me, O Lord, for I have walked in my innocence: and I have put my trust in the Lord, and shall not be weakened.

2 Prove me, O Lord, and try me; burn my reins and my heart.

3 For thy mercy is before my eyes; and I am well pleased with thy truth.

4 I have not sat with the council of vanity: neither will I go in with the doers of unjust things.

5 I have hated the assembly of the malignant; and with the wicked I will not sit.

6 I will wash my hands among the innocent; and will compass thy altar, O Lord:

7 That I may hear the voice of thy praise: and tell of all thy wondrous works.

8 I have loved, O Lord, the beauty of thy house; and the place where thy glory dwelleth.

9 Take not away my soul, O God, with the wicked: nor my life with bloody men:

10 In whose hands are iniquities: their right hand is filled with gifts.

11 But as for me, I have walked in my innocence: redeem me, and have mercy on me.

12 My foot hath stood in the direct way: in the churches I will bless thee, O Lord.

KnightofChrist

Psalm 26

[i]Dominus illuminatio. David's faith and hope in God.[/i]

1 The psalm of David before he was anointed. The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The Lord is the protector of my life: of whom shall I be afraid?

2 Whilst the wicked draw near against me, to eat my flesh. My enemies that trouble me, have themselves been weakened, and have fallen.

3 If armies in camp should stand together against me, my heart shall not fear. If a battle should rise up against me, in this will I be confident.

4 One thing I have asked of the Lord, this will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life. That I may see the delight of the Lord, and may visit his temple.

5 For he hath hidden me in his tabernacle; in the day of evils, he hath protected me in the secret place of his tabernacle.

6 He hath exalted me upon a rock: and now he hath lifted up my head above my enemies. I have gone round, and have offered up in his tabernacle a sacrifice of jubilation: I will sing, and recite a psalm to the Lord.

7 Hear, O Lord, my voice, with which I have cried to thee: have mercy on me and hear me.

8 My heart hath said to thee: My face hath sought thee: thy face, O Lord, will I still seek.

9 Turn not away thy face from me; decline not in thy wrath from thy servant. Be thou my helper, forsake me not; do not thou despise me, O God my Saviour.

10 For my father and my mother have left me: but the Lord hath taken me up.

11 Set me, O Lord, a law in thy way, and guide me in the right path, because of my enemies.

12 Deliver me not over to the will of them that trouble me; for unjust witnesses have risen up against me; and iniquity hath lied to itself.

13 I believe to see the good things of the Lord in the land of the living.

14 Expect the Lord, do manfully, and let thy heart take courage, and wait thou for the Lord.

KnightofChrist

Psalm 27

[i]Ad te, Domine, clamabo. David's prayer that his enemies may not prevail over him.[/i]

1 A psalm for David himself. Unto thee will I cry, O Lord: O my God, be not thou silent to me: lest thou be silent to me, I become like them that go down into the pit.

2 Hear, O Lord, the voice of my supplication, when I pray to thee; when I lift up my hands to thy holy temple.

3 Draw me not away together with the wicked; and with the workers of iniquity destroy me not: Who speak peace with their neighbour, but evils are in their hearts.

4 Give them according to their works, and according to the wickedness of their inventions. According to the works of their hands give thou to them: render to them their reward.

5 Because they have not understood the works of the Lord, and the operations of his hands: thou shalt destroy them, and shalt not build them up.

6 Blessed be the Lord, for he hath heard the voice of my supplication.

7 The Lord is my helper and my protector: in him hath my heart confided, and I have been helped. And my flesh hath flourished again, and with my will I will give praise to him.

8 The Lord is the strength of his people, and the protector of the salvation of his anointed.

9 Save, O Lord, thy people, and bless thy inheritance: and rule them and exalt them for ever.

KnightofChrist

Psalm 28

[i]Afferte Domino. An invitation to glorify God, with a commemoration of his mighty works.[/i]

1 A psalm for David, at the finishing of the tabernacle. Bring to the Lord, O ye children of God: bring to the Lord the offspring of rams.

2 Bring to the Lord glory and honour: bring to the Lord glory to his name: adore ye the Lord in his holy court.

3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters; the God of majesty hath thundered, The Lord is upon many waters.

4 The voice of the Lord is in power; the voice of the Lord in magnificence.

5 The voice of the Lord breaketh the cedars: yea, the Lord shall break the cedars of Libanus.

6 And shall reduce them to pieces, as a calf of Libanus, and as the beloved son of unicorns.

7 The voice of the Lord divideth the flame of fire:

8 The voice of the Lord shaketh the desert: and the Lord shall shake the desert of Cades.

9 The voice of the Lord prepareth the stags: and he will discover the thick woods: and in his temple all shall speak his glory. 10 The Lord maketh the flood to dwell: and the Lord shall sit king for ever. The Lord will give strength to his people: the Lord will bless his people with peace.

KnightofChrist

Psalm 29

[i]Exaltabo te, Domine. David praiseth God for his deliverance, and his merciful dealings with him.[/i]

1 A psalm of a canticle, at the dedication of David's house.

2 I will extol thee, O Lord, for thou hast upheld me: and hast not made my enemies to rejoice over me.

3 O Lord my God, I have cried to thee, and then hast healed me.

4 Thou hast brought forth, O Lord, my soul from hell: thou hast saved me from them that go down into the pit.

5 Sing to the Lord, O ye his saints: and give praise to the memory of his holiness.

6 For wrath is in his indignation; and life in his good will. In the evening weeping shall have place, and in the morning gladness.

7 And in my abundance I said: I shall never be moved.

8 O Lord, in thy favour, thou gavest strength to my beauty. Thou turnedst away thy face from me, and I became troubled.

9 To thee, O Lord, will I cry: and I will make supplication to my God.

10 What profit is there in my blood, whilst I go down to corruption? Shall dust confess to thee, or declare thy truth?

11 The Lord hath heard, and hath had mercy on me: the Lord became my helper.

12 Thou hast turned for me my mourning into joy: thou hast cut my sackcloth, and hast compassed me with gladness:

13 To the end that my glory may sing to thee, and I may not regret: O Lord my God, I will give praise to thee for ever.