An Old School Catholic Message Board

The 150 Psalms

Resurrexi

KnightofChrist

Douay-Rheims Bible
Psalms 44

[i]Eructavit cor meum. The excellence of Christ's kingdom, and the endowments of his church.[/i]

1 Unto the end, for them that shall be changed, for the sons of Core, for understanding. A canticle for the Beloved.

2 My heart hath uttered a good word I speak my works to the king; My tongue is the pen of a scrivener that writeth swiftly.

3 Thou art beautiful above the sons of men: grace is poured abroad in thy lips; therefore hath God blessed thee for ever.

4 Gird thy sword upon thy thigh, O thou most mighty.

5 With thy comeliness and thy beauty set out, proceed prosperously, and reign. Because of truth and meekness and justice: and thy right hand shall conduct thee wonderfully.

6 Thy arrows are sharp: under thee shall people fall, into the hearts of the king's enemies.

7 Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: the sceptre of thy kingdom is a sceptre of uprightness.

8 Thou hast loved justice, and hated iniquity: therefore God, thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows.

9 Myrrh and stacte and cassia perfume thy garments, from the ivory houses: out of which

10 The daughters of kings have delighted thee in thy glory. The queen stood on thy right hand, in gilded clothing; surrounded with variety.

11 Hearken, O daughter, and see, and incline thy ear: and forget thy people and thy father's house.

12 And the king shall greatly desire thy beauty; for he is the Lord thy God, and him they shall adore.

13 And the daughters of Tyre with gifts, yea, all the rich among the people, shall entreat thy countenance.

14 All the glory of the king's daughter is within in golden borders,

15 Clothed round about with varieties. After her shall virgins be brought to the king: her neighbours shall be brought to thee.

16 They shall be brought with gladness and rejoicing: they shall be brought into the temple of the king.

17 Instead of thy fathers, sons are born to thee: thou shalt make them princes over all the earth.

18 They shall remember thy name throughout all generations. Therefore shall people praise thee for ever; yea, for ever and ever.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

Douay-Rheims Bible
Psalms 45

Psalms 45:1  Unto the end, for them that shall be changed, for the sons of Core, for understanding. A canticle for the Beloved.
2  My heart hath uttered a good word I speak my works to the king; My tongue is the pen of a scrivener that writeth swiftly.
3  Thou art beautiful above the sons of men: grace is poured abroad in thy lips; therefore hath God blessed thee for ever
4  Gird thy sword upon thy thigh, O thou most mighty.
5  With thy comeliness and thy beauty set out, proceed prosperously, and reign. Because of truth and meekness and justice: and thy right hand shall conduct thee wonderfully.
6  Thy arrows are sharp: under thee shall people fall, into the hearts of the king's enemies.
7  Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: the sceptre of thy kingdom is a sceptre of uprightness.
8  Thou hast loved justice, and hated iniquity: therefore God, thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows.
9  Myrrh and stacte and cassia perfume thy garments, from the ivory houses: out of which
10  the daughters of kings have delighted thee in thy glory. The queen stood on thy right hand, in gilded clothing; surrounded with variety.
11  Hearken, O daughter, and see, and incline thy ear: and forget thy people and thy father's house.
12  And the king shall greatly desire thy beauty; for he is the Lord thy God, and him they shall adore.
13  And the daughters of Tyre with gifts, yea, all the rich among the people, shall entreat thy countenance.
14  All the glory of the king's daughter is within in golden borders,
15  clothed round about with varieties. After her shall virgins be brought to the king: her neighbours shall be brought to thee.
16  They shall be brought with gladness and rejoicing: they shall be brought into the temple of the king.
17  Instead of thy fathers, sons are born to thee: thou shalt make them princes over all the earth.
18  They shall remember thy name throughout all generations. Therefore shall people praise thee for ever; yea, for ever and ever.

45:1. Unto the end, for the sons of Core, for the hidden.
45:2. Our God is our refuge and strength: a helper in troubles, which have found us exceedingly.
45:3. Therefore we will not fear, when the earth shall be troubled; and the mountains shall be removed into the heart of the sea.
45:4. Their waters roared and were troubled: the mountains were troubled with his strength.
45:5. The stream of the river maketh the city of God joyful: the most High hath sanctified his own tabernacle.
45:6. God is in the midst thereof, it shall not be moved: God will help it in the lmorning early.
45:7. Nations were troubled, and kingdoms were bowed down: he uttered his voice, the earth trembled.
45:8. The Lord of armies is with us: the God of Jacob is our protector.
45:9. Come and behold ye the works of the Lord: what wonders he hath done upon earth,
45:10. Making wars to cease even to the end of the earth. He shall destroy the bow, and break the weapons: and the shield he shall burn in the fire.
45:11. Be still and see that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, and I will be exalted in the earth.
45:12. The Lord of armies is with us: the God of Jacob is our protector.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

DR- 46

46:1. Unto the end, for the sons of Core.
46:2. O clap your hands, all ye nations: shout unto God with the voice of joy,
46:3. For the Lord is high, terrible: a great king over all the earth.
46:4. He hath subdued the people under us; and the nations under our feet.
46:5. He hath chosen for us his inheritance, the beauty of Jacob which he hath love.
46:6. God is ascended with jubilee, and the Lord with the sound of trumpet.
46:7. Sing praises to our God, sing ye: sing praises to our king, sing ye.
46:8. For God is the king of all the earth: sing ye wisely.
46:9. God shall reign over the nations: God sitteth on his holy throne.
46:10. The princes of the people are gathered together, with the God of Abraham: for the strong gods of the earth are exceedingly exalted.

RSV - 47

47:1 <For the Chief Musician. A Psalm by the sons of Korah.>> Oh clap your hands, all you nations. Shout to God with the voice of triumph!
47:2 For Yahweh Most High is awesome. He is a great King over all the earth.
47:3 He subdues nations under us, and peoples under our feet.
47:4 He chooses our inheritance for us, the glory of Jacob whom he loved. Selah.
47:5 God has gone up with a shout, Yahweh with the sound of a trumpet.
47:6 Sing praise to God, sing praises. Sing praises to our King, sing praises.
47:7 For God is the King of all the earth. Sing praises with understanding.
47:8 God reigns over the nations. God sits on his holy throne.
47:9 The princes of the peoples are gathered together, the people of the God of Abraham. For the shields of the earth belong to God. He is greatly exalted!

Psalm 47
Magnus Dominus. God is greatly to be praised for the establishment of his church.

47:1. A psalm of a canticle, for the sons of Core, on the second day of the week.
Canticum psalmi filiorum Core

47:2. Great is the Lord, and exceedingly to be praised in the city of our God, in his holy mountain.
Magnus Dominus et laudabilis nimis in civitate Dei nostri in monte sancto suo

47:3. With the joy of the whole earth is mount Sion founded, on the sides of the north, the city of the great king.
Specioso germini gaudio universae terrae monti Sion lateribus aquilonis civitatulae regis magni

47:4. In her houses shall God be known, when he shall protect her.
Deus in domibus eius agnitus est in auxiliando

47:5. For behold the kings of the earth assembled themselves: they gathered together.
Quia ecce reges congregati sunt venerunt simul

47:6. So they saw, and they wondered, they were troubled, they were moved:
Ipsi videntes sic obstipuerunt conturbati sunt admirati sunt

47:7. Trembling took hold of them. There were pains as of a woman in labour.
Horror possedit eos ibi dolor quasi parturientis

47:8. With a vehement wind thou shalt break in pieces the ships of Tharsis.
In vento uredinis confringes naves maris

47:9. As we have heard, so have we seen, in the city of the Lord of hosts, in the city of our God: God hath founded it for ever.
Sicut audivimus ita vidimus in civitate Dei exercituum in civitate Dei nostri Deus fundavit eam usque in aeternum semper

47:10. We have received thy mercy, O God, in the midst of thy temple.
Aestimavimus Deus misericordiam tuam in medio templi tui

47:11. According to thy name, O God, so also is thy praise unto the ends of the earth: thy right hand is full of justice.
Secundum nomen tuum Deus sic laus tua usque ad extremum terrae iustitia repleta est dextera tua

47:12. Let mount Sion rejoice, and the daughters of Juda be glad; because of thy judgments, O Lord.
Laetetur mons Sion exultent filiae Iudae propter iudicia tua

47:13. Surround Sion, and encompass her: (tell lye in??) (number?) her towers.
Circumdate Sion et circumite eam numerate turres eius

47:14. Set your hearts on her strength; and distribute her houses, that ye may relate it in another generation.
Ponite cor vestrum in moenibus separate palatia eius ut narretis in generatione novissima

47:15. For this is God, our God unto eternity, and for ever and ever: he shall rule us for evermore.
Quia ipse Deus Deus noster in saeculum et in perpetuum ipse erit dux noster in morte

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end.
Amen.

The Book of Psalms

Chapter 48

1 Unto the end, a psalm for the sons of Core.

2 Hear these things, all ye nations: give ear, all ye inhabitants of the world.

3 All you that are earthborn, and you sons of men: both rich and poor together.

4 My mouth shall speak wisdom: and the meditation of my heart understanding.

5 I will incline my ear to a parable; I will open my proposition on the psaltery.

6 Why shall I fear in the evil day? the iniquity of my heel shall encompass me.

7 They that trust in their own strength, and glory in the multitude of their riches,

8 No brother can redeem, nor shall man redeem: he shall not give to God his ransom,

9 Nor the price of the redemption of his soul: and shall labour for ever,

10 and shall still live unto the end.

11 He shall not see destruction, when he shall see the wise dying: the senseless and the fool shall perish together: And they shall leave their riches to strangers:

12 and their sepulchres shall be their houses for ever. Their dwelling places to all generations: they have called their lands by their names.

13 And man when he was in honour did not understand; he is compared to senseless beasts, and is become like to them.

14 This way of theirs is a stumblingblock to them: and afterwards they shall delight in their mouth.

15 They are laid in hell like sheep: death shall feed upon them. And the just shall have dominion over them in the morning; and their help shall decay in hell from their glory.

16 But God will redeem my soul from the hand of hell, when he shall receive me.

17 Be not thou afraid, when a man shall be made rich, and when the glory of his house shall be increased.

18 For when he shall die he shall take nothing away; nor shall his glory descend with him.

19 For in his lifetime his soul will be blessed: and he will praise thee when thou shalt do well to him.

20 He shall go in to the generations of his fathers: and he shall never see light.

21 Man when he was in honour did not understand: he hath been compared to senseless beasts, and made like to them.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end.
Amen.

Psalm 49
Deus deorum. The coming of Christ: who prefers virtue and inward purity before the blood of victims.

49:1. A psalm for Asaph. The God of gods, the Lord hath spoken: and he hath called the earth. From the rising of the sun, to the going down thereof:
Canticum Asaph fortis Deus Dominus locutus est et vocavit terram ab ortu solis usque ad occasum eius

49:2. Out of Sion the loveliness of his beauty.
De Sion perfecta decore Deus apparuit

49:3. God shall come manifestly: our God shall come, and shall not keep silence. A fire shall burn before him: and a mighty tempest shall be round about him.
Veniet Deus noster et non tacebit ignis coram eo vorabit et in circuitu eius tempestas valida

49:4. He shall call heaven from above, and the earth, to judge his people.
Vocabit caelum desursum et terram ut iudicet populum suum

49:5. Gather ye together his saints to him: who set his covenant before sacrifices.
Congregate mihi sanctos meos qui feriunt pactum meum in sacrificio

49:6. And the heavens shall declare his justice: for God is judge.
Et adnuntiabunt caeli iustitiam eius quia Deus iudex est semper

49:7. Hear, O my people, and I will speak: O Israel, and I will testify to thee: I am God, thy God.
Audi popule meus et loquar Israhel et contestabor te Deus Deus tuus ego sum

49:8. I will not reprove thee for thy sacrifices: and thy burnt offerings are always in my sight.
Non propter victimas tuas arguam te et holocaustomata tua coram me sunt semper

49:9. I will not take calves out of thy house: nor he goats out of thy flocks.
Non accipiam de domo tua vitulum neque de gregibus tuis hircos

49:10. For all the beasts of the woods are mine: the cattle on the hills, and the oxen.
Mea sunt enim omnia animalia silvarum pecudes in montibus milium

49:11. I know all the fowls of the air: and with me is the beauty of the field.
Scio omnes aves montium et universitas agri mecum est

49:12. If I should be hungry, I would not tell thee: for the world is mine, and the fulness thereof.
Si esuriero non dicam tibi meus est enim orbis et plenitudo eius

49:13. Shall I eat the flesh of bullocks? or shall I drink the blood of goats?
Numquid comedam carnem taurorum aut sanguinem hircorum bibam

49:14. Offer to God the sacrifice of praise: and pay thy vows to the most High.
Immola Deo laudem et redde Altissimo vota tua

49:15. And call upon me in the day of trouble: I will deliver thee, and thou shalt glorify me.
Et invoca me in die tribulationis liberabo te et glorificabis me

49:16. But to the sinner God hath said: Why dost thou declare my justices, and take my covenant in thy mouth?
Impio autem dixit Deus quid tibi est cum narratione praeceptorum meorum et ut adsumas pactum meum in ore tuo

49:17. Seeing thou hast hated discipline: and hast cast my words behind thee.
Qui odisti disciplinam et proiecisti verba mea post te

49:18. If thou didst see a thief thou didst run with him: and with adulterers thou hast been a partaker.
Si videbas furem consentiebas ei et cum adulteris erat pars tua

49:19. Thy mouth hath abounded with evil, and thy tongue framed deceits.
Os tuum dimisisti ad malitiam et lingua tua concinnavit dolum

49:20. Sitting thou didst speak against thy brother, and didst lay a scandal against thy mother's son:
Sedens adversum fratrem tuum loquebaris et adversum filium matris tuae fabricabaris obprobrium

49:21. These things hast thou done, and I was silent. Thou thoughtest unjustly that I should be like to thee: but I will reprove thee, and set before thy face.
Haec fecisti et tacui existimasti futurum me similem tui arguam te et proponam te ante oculos tuos

49:22. Understand these things, you that forget God; lest he snatch you away, and there be none to deliver you.
Intellegite hoc qui obliviscimini Deum ne forte capiam et non sit qui liberet

49:23. The sacrifice of praise shall glorify me: and there is the way by which I will show him the salvation of God.
Qui immolat confessionem glorificat me et qui ordinate ambulat ostendam ei salutare Dei

[size=1][i]The Holy Bible
Old Testament First Published 1609 by the English College at Douay
New Testament First Published 1582 by the English College at Rheims
Revised and Annotated 1749 by Bishop Richard Challoner
Online Edition Copyright © 2006 by Kevin Knight
Imprimatur. +James Cardinal Gibbons, Archbishop of Baltimore, September 1, 1899[/i][/size]

Amen.

Psalm 50

Miserere. The repentance and confession of David after his sin. The fourth penitential psalm.

1 Unto the end, a psalm of David, 2 When Nathan the prophet came to him after he had sinned with Bethsabee. 3 Have mercy on me, O God, according to thy great mercy. And according to the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my iniquity. 4 Wash me yet more from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin. 5 For I know my iniquity, and my sin is always before me.

6 To thee only have I sinned, and have done evil before thee: that thou mayst be justified in thy words and mayst overcome when thou art judged. 7 For behold I was conceived in iniquities; and in sins did my mother conceive me. 8 For behold thou hast loved truth: the uncertain and hidden things of thy wisdom thou hast made manifest to me. 9 Thou shalt sprinkle me with hyssop, and I shall be cleansed: thou shalt wash me, and I shall be made whiter than snow. 10 To my hearing thou shalt give joy and gladness: and the bones that have been humbled shall rejoice.

11 Turn away thy face from my sins, and blot out all my iniquities. 12 Create a clean heart in me, O God: and renew a right spirit within my bowels. 13 Cast me not away from thy face; and take not thy holy spirit from me. 14 Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation, and strengthen me with a perfect spirit. 15 I will teach the unjust thy ways: and the wicked shall be converted to thee.

16 Deliver me from blood, O God, thou God of my salvation: and my tongue shall extol thy justice. 17 O Lord, thou wilt open my lips: and my mouth shall declare thy praise. 18 For if thou hadst desired sacrifice, I would indeed have given it: with burnt offerings thou wilt not be delighted. 19 A sacrifice to God is an afflicted spirit: a contrite and humbled heart, O God, thou wilt not despise. 20 Deal favourably, O Lord, in thy good will with Sion; that the walls of Jerusalem may be built up.

21 Then shalt thou accept the sacrifice of justice, oblations and whole burnt offerings: then shall they lay calves upon thy altar.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost. As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

Psalm 51
Quid gloriaris. David condemneth the wickedness of Doeg, and foretelleth his destruction.

51:1. Unto the end, understanding for David,
Victori ab erudito David

51:2. When Doeg the Edomite came and told Saul: David went to the house of Achimelech.
Cum venisset Doec Idumeus et adnuntiasset Saul dicens ei venit David in domum Achimelech

51:3. Why dost thou glory in malice, thou that art mighty in iniquity?
Quid gloriaris in malitia potens misericordia Dei tota est die

51:4. All the day long thy tongue hath devised injustice: as a sharp razor, thou hast wrought deceit.
Insidias cogitat lingua tua quasi novacula acuta faciens dolum

51:5. Thou hast loved malice more than goodness: and iniquity rather than to speak righteousness.
Dilexisti malum magis quam bonum mendacium magis quam loqui iustitiam semper

51:6. Thou hast loved all the words of ruin, O deceitful tongue.
Dilexisti omnia verba ad devorandum lingua dolosa

51:7. Therefore will God destroy thee for ever: he will pluck thee out, and remove thee from thy dwelling place: and thy root out of the land of the living.
Sed Deus destruet te in sempiternum terrebit et evellet te de tabernaculo et eradicabit te de terra viventium semper

51:8. The just shall see and fear, and shall laugh at him, and say:
Videbunt iusti et timebunt et super eum ridebunt

51:9. Behold the man that made not God his helper: But trusted in the abundance of his riches: and prevailed in his vanity.
Ecce vir qui non posuit Deum fortitudinem suam sed speravit in multitudine divitiarum suarum confortatus est in insidiis suis

51:10. But I, as a fruitful olive tree in the house of God, have hoped in the mercy of God for ever, yea for ever and ever.
Ego sicut oliva virens in domo Dei speravi in misericordia Dei in saeculum sempiternum

51:11. I will praise thee for ever, because thou hast done it: and I will wait on thy name, for it is good in the sight of thy saints.
Confitebor tibi in saeculo quoniam fecisti et expectabo nomen tuum quoniam bonum in conspectu sanctorum tuorum

[size=1]The Holy Bible
Imprimatur. +James Cardinal Gibbons, Archbishop of Baltimore, September 1, 1899[/size]

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost. As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

Edited by journeyman

Psalm 52

Dixit insipiens. The general corruption of man before the coming of Christ.

1 Unto the end, for Maeleth, understandings to David. The fool said in his heart: There is no God. 2 They are corrupted, and become abominable in iniquities: there is none that doth good. 3 God looked down from heaven on the children of men: to see if there were any that did understand, or did seek God. 4 All have gone aside, they are become unprofitable together, there is none that doth good, no not one. 5 Shall not all the workers of iniquity know, who eat up my people as they eat bread?

6 They have not called upon God: there have they trembled for fear, where there was no fear. For God hath scattered the bones of them that please men: they have been confounded, because God hath despised them. 7 Who will give out of Sion the salvation of Israel? when God shall bring back the captivity of his people, Jacob shall rejoice, and Israel shall be glad.

Psalm 53
Deus, in nomine tuo. A prayer for help in destress.

53:1. Unto the end, in verses, understanding for David.
Victori in psalmis eruditi David

53:2. When the men of Ziph had come and said to Saul: Is not David hidden with us? [1 Samuel 23.19]
Quando venerunt Ziphei et dixerunt Saul nonne David absconditus est apud nos

53:3. Save me, O God, by thy name, and judge me in thy strength.
Deus in nomine tuo salva me et in fortitudine tua ulciscere me

53:4. O God, hear my prayer: give ear to the words of my mouth.
Deus exaudi orationem meam auribus percipe verba oris mei

53:5. For strangers have risen up against me; and the mighty have sought after my soul: and they have not set God before their eyes.
Quia alieni insurrexerunt adversus me et fortes quaesierunt animam meam et non posuerunt Deum in conspectu suo semper

53:6. For behold God is my helper: and the Lord is the protector of my soul.
Ecce Deus auxiliatur mihi Dominus sustentans animam meam

53:7. Turn back the evils upon my enemies; and cut them off in thy truth.
Reddet malum insidiatoribus meis in veritate tua disperde eos

53:8. I will freely sacrifice to thee, and will give praise, O God, to thy name: because it is good:
Voluntarie sacrificabo tibi confitebor nomini tuo Domine quoniam bonum est

53:9. For thou hast delivered me out of all trouble: and my eye hath looked down upon my enemies.
Quoniam ex omni tribulatione liberavit me et inimicos meos dispexit oculus meus

[size=1]The Holy Bible
Imprimatur. +James Cardinal Gibbons, Archbishop of Baltimore, September 1, 1899[/size]

Psalm 54

Exaudi, Deus. A prayer of a just man under persecution from the wicked. It agrees to Christ persecuted by the Jews, and betrayed by Judas.

1 Unto the end, in verses, understanding for David. 2 Hear, O God, my prayer, and despise not my supplication: 3 Be attentive to me and hear me. I am grieved in my exercise; and am troubled, 4 At the voice of the enemy, and at the tribulation of the sinner. For they have cast iniquities upon me: and in wrath they were troublesome to me. 5 My heart is troubled within me: and the fear of death is fallen upon me.

6 Fear and trembling are come upon me: and darkness hath covered me. 7 And I said: Who will give me wings like a dove, and I will fly and be at rest? 8 Lo, I have gone far off flying away; and I abode in the wilderness. 9 I waited for him that hath saved me from pusillanimity of spirit, and a storm. 10 Cast down, O Lord, and divide their tongues; for I have seen iniquity and contradiction in the city.

11 Day and night shall iniquity surround it upon its walls: and in the midst thereof are labour, 12 And injustice. And usury and deceit have not departed from its streets. 13 For if my enemy had reviled me, I would verily have borne with it. And if he that hated me had spoken great things against me, I would perhaps have hidden myself from him. 14 But thou a man of one mind, my guide, and my familiar, 15 Who didst take sweetmeats together with me: in the house of God we walked with consent.

16 Let death come upon them, and let them go down alive into hell. For there is wickedness in their dwellings: in the midst of them. 17 But I have cried to God: and the Lord will save me. 18 Evening and morning, and at noon I will speak and declare: and he shall hear my voice. 19 He shall redeem my soul in peace from them that draw near to me: for among many they were with me. 20 God shall hear, and the Eternal shall humble them. For there is no change with them, and they have not feared God:

16 "Let death"... This, and such like imprecations which occur in the psalms, are delivered prophetically; that is, by way of foretelling the punishments which shall fall upon the wicked from divine justice, and approving the righteous ways of God: but not by way of ill will, or uncharitable curses, which the law of God disallows.

21 He hath stretched forth his hand to repay. They have defiled his covenant, 22 They are divided by the wrath Of his countenance, and his heart hath drawn near. His words are smoother than oil, and the same are darts. 23 Cast thy care upon the Lord, and he shall sustain thee: he shall not suffer the just to waver for ever. 24 But thou, O God, shalt bring them down into the pit of destruction. Bloody and deceitful men shall not live out half their days; but I will trust in thee, O Lord.

Psalm 55

Miserere mei, Deus. A prayer of David in danger and distress.

55:1. Unto the end, for a people that is removed at a distance form the sanctuary: for David, for an inscription of a title (or pillar) when the Philistines held him in Geth.
Victori pro columba muta eo quod procul abierit David humilis et simplex quando tenuerunt eum Palestini in Geth

55:2. Have mercy on me, O God, for man hath trodden me under foot; all the day long he hath afflicted me fighting against me.
Miserere mei Deus quoniam conculcavit me homo tota die pugnans tribulavit me

55:3. My enemies have trodden on me all the day long; for they are many that make war against me.
Conculcaverunt me insidiatores mei tota die multi enim qui pugnant contra me Altissime

55:4. From the height of the day I shall fear: but I will trust in thee.
Quacumque die territus fuero ego in te confidam
[color="#C0C0C0"][size=1]The height of the day... That is, even at noonday, when the sun is the highest, I am still in danger.[/size][/color]

55:5. In God I will praise my words, in God I have put my trust: I will not fear what flesh can do against me.
In Deo laudavi verbum in Deo speravi non timebo quid faciat caro mihi
[color="#C0C0C0"][size=1]My words... The words or promises God has made in my favour.[/size][/color]

55:6. All the day long they detested my words: all their thoughts were against me unto evil.
Tota die sermonibus me adfligebant contra me omnes cogitationes eorum in malum

55:7. They will dwell and hide themselves: they will watch my heel. As they have waited for my soul,
Congregabuntur abscondite plantas meas observabunt expectantes animam meam

55:8. For nothing shalt thou save them: in thy anger thou shalt break the people in pieces. O God,
Quia nullus est salvus in eis in furore populos detrahet Deus
[color="#C0C0C0"][size=1]For nothing shalt thou save them... That is, since they lie in wait to ruin my soul, thou shalt for no consideration favour or assist them, but execute thy justice upon them.[/size][/color]

55:9. I have declared to thee my life: thou hast set me tears in thy sight, As also in thy promise.
Secretiora mea numerasti pone lacrimam meam in conspectu tuo sed non in narratione tua

55:10. Then shall my enemies be turned back. In what day soever I shall call upon thee, behold I know thou art my God.
Tunc convertentur inimici mei retrorsum in quacumque die invocavero hoc scio quia Deus meus es

55:11. In God will I praise the word, in the Lord will I praise his speech. In God have I hoped, I will not fear what man can do to me.
In Deo laudabo verbum in Domino praedicabo sermonem in Deo speravi non timebo quid faciat homo mihi

55:12. In me, O God, are vows to thee, which I will pay, praises to thee:
In me sunt Deus vota tua reddam gratiarum actiones tibi

55:13. Because thou hast delivered my soul from death, my feet from falling: that I may please in the sight of God, in the light of the living.
Quia liberasti animam meam de morte et pedes meos de lapsu ut ambulem coram Deo in luce viventium

[size=1]The Holy Bible

Psalm 56
Miserere mei, Deus. The prophet prays in his affliction, and praises God for his delivery.

56:1. Unto the end, destroy not, for David, for an inscription of a title, when he fled from Saul into the cave. [size=1][color="#C0C0C0"][1 Samuel 24.][/color][/size]
Pro victoria ut non disperdas David humilem et simplicem quando fugit a facie Saul in spelunca
[size=1][color="#C0C0C0"]Destroy not... Suffer me not to be destroyed.[/color][/size]

56:2. Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me: for my soul trusteth in thee. And in the shadow of thy wings will I hope, until iniquity pass away.
Miserere mei Deus miserere mei quoniam in te sperat anima mea in umbra alarum tuarum sperabo donec transeant insidiae

56:3. I will cry to God the most high; to God who hath done good to me.
Invocabo Deum altissimum Deum ultorem meum

56:4. He hath sent from heaven and delivered me: he hath made them a reproach that trod upon me. God hath sent his mercy and his truth,
Mittet de caelo et salvabit me exprobrabit conculcantibus me semper mittet Deus misericordiam suam et veritatem suam

56:5. And he hath delivered my soul from the midst of the young lions. I slept troubled. The sons of men, whose teeth are weapons and arrows, and their tongue a sharp sword.
Anima mea in medio leonum dormivit ferocientium filii hominum dentes eorum lancea et sagittae et lingua eorum gladius acutus

56:6. Be thou exalted, O God, above the heavens, and thy glory above all the earth.
Exaltare super caelos Deus in omni terra gloria tua

56:7. They prepared a snare for my feet; and they bowed down my soul. They dug a pit before my face, and they are fallen into it.
Rete paraverunt gressibus meis ad incurvandam animam meam foderunt ante me foveam ceciderunt in medium eius semper

56:8. My heart is ready, O God, my heart is ready: I will sing, and rehearse a psalm.
Paratum cor meum Deus paratum cor meum cantabo et psallam

56:9. Arise, O my glory, arise psaltery and harp: I will arise early.
Surge gloria mea surge psalterium et cithara surgam mane

56:10. I will give praise to thee, O Lord, among the people: I will sing a psalm to thee among the nations.
Confitebor tibi in populis Domine cantabo tibi in gentibus

56:11. For thy mercy is magnified even to the heavens: and thy truth unto the clouds.
Quia magna usque ad caelos misericordia tua et usque ad nubes veritas tua

56:12. Be thou exalted, O God, above the heavens: and thy glory above all the earth.
Exaltare super caelos Deus in omni terra gloria tua

[size=1]The Holy Bible
Imprimatur. +James Cardinal Gibbons, Archbishop of Baltimore, September 1, 1899
Copyright © 2007 by Kevin Knight. All rights reserved.[/size]

Psalm 57
Si vere utique. David reproveth the wicked, and foretelleth their punishment.

57:1. Unto the end, destroy not, for David, for an inscription of a title.
Victori ut non disperdas David humilem et simplicem

57:2. If in very deed ye speak justice: judge right things, ye sons of men.
Si vere utique iustitiam loquimini recta iudicate filii hominum

57:3. For in your heart you work iniquity: your hands forge injustice in the earth.
Etenim in corde iniquitates operamini in terra iniquitatis manus vestras adpendite

57:4. The wicked are alienated from the womb; they have gone astray from the womb: they have spoken false things.
Alienati sunt peccatores a vulva erraverunt ab utero loquentes mendacium

57:5. Their madness is according to the likeness of a serpent: like the deaf asp that stoppeth her ears:
Furor eorum sicut furor serpentis sicut reguli surdi obturantis aurem suam

57:6. Which will not hear the voice of the charmers; nor of the wizard that charmeth wisely.
Ut non audiat vocem murmurantium nec incantatoris incantationes callidas

57:7. God shall break in pieces their teeth in their mouth: the Lord shall break the grinders of the lions.
Deus excute dentes eorum ex ore eorum molares leonum confringe Domine

57:8. They shall come to nothing, like water running down; he hath bent his bow till they be weakened.
Dissolvantur quasi aquae quae defluent intendet arcum suum donec conterantur

57:9. Like wax that melteth they shall be taken away: fire hath fallen on them, and they shall not see the sun.
Quasi vermis tabefactus pertranseant quasi abortivum mulieris quod non vidit solem

57:10. Before your thorns could know the brier; he swalloweth them up, as alive, in his wrath.
Antequam crescant spinae vestrae in ramnum quasi viventes quasi in ira tempestas rapiet eas
[size=1][color="#C0C0C0"]Before your thorns, etc... That is, before your thorns grow up, so as to become strong briers, they shall be overtaken and consumed by divine justice, swallowing them up, as it were, alive in his wrath.[/color][/size]

57:11. The just shall rejoice when he shall see the revenge: he shall wash his hands in the blood of the sinner.
Laetabitur iustus cum viderit ultionem pedes suos lavabit in sanguinem impii
Shall wash his hands, etc... Shall applaud the justice of God, and take occasion from the consideration of the punishment of the wicked to wash and cleanse his hands from sin.

57:12. And man shall say: If indeed there be fruit to the just: there is indeed a God that judgeth them on the earth.
Et dicet homo vere fructus est iusto vere est Deus iudicans in terra

[center][size=1]The Holy Bible
Imprimatur. +James Cardinal Gibbons, Archbishop of Baltimore, September 1, 1899
Copyright © 2007 by Kevin Knight. All rights reserved.
Web services provided by Trinity Consulting
New Advent is dedicated to the Immaculate Heart of Mary.[/size][/center]