An Old School Catholic Message Board

Bridge Collapse In Mpls

homeschoolmom

missionseeker

not to downplay this or anything (I have family there, too!) I went through this town today where they had torn up half of a road. the only road that goes through it...

Ash Wednesday

That is so horrible! When I think of collapsing bridges I always think of the Tacoma Narrows bridge back in 1940 (I lived in that area with family for a while...) but one would think engineering and structures would be stronger these days. Poor people!

MissScripture

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1346520' date='Aug 1 2007, 09:23 PM']I know ... I am sure the numbers will be higher; that's just what they've reported so far. It was rush hour, bumper-to-bumper slow-moving traffic, more than 100 cars on the bridge. Awful.[/quote]
Yes, and people will die later, from injuries sustained from the collapse, I'm sure. But it's so miraculous that ANYONE survived! I just don't understand how they did!

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1346531' date='Aug 1 2007, 08:27 PM']Yes, and people will die later, from injuries sustained from the collapse, I'm sure. But it's so miraculous that ANYONE survived! I just don't understand how they did![/quote]
yeah it is pretty amazing ... they are saying that the fall was about 40 feet. Apparently there were many passersby -- bikers, pedestrians, cars behind the bridge, etc. -- that jumped in immediately to help with the rescues right after the collapse.

I was just thinking that it is a good thing that it happened in summer both because the water is warmer -- less chance of hypothermia -- and because there were more people out walking so they could jump in and help out right away.

MissScripture

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1346551' date='Aug 1 2007, 09:34 PM']yeah it is pretty amazing ... they are saying that the fall was about 40 feet. Apparently there were many passersby -- bikers, pedestrians, cars behind the bridge, etc. -- that jumped in immediately to help with the rescues right after the collapse.

I was just thinking that it is a good thing that it happened in summer both because the water is warmer -- less chance of hypothermia -- and because there were more people out walking so they could jump in and help out right away.[/quote]
I heard that it was 64 ft...?
But I did hear them talking to a bunch of the people, some who were in vehicles themselves, getting out to help other people out. Like those poor kids on the bus!

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1346557' date='Aug 1 2007, 08:36 PM']I heard that it was 64 ft...?
But I did hear them talking to a bunch of the people, some who were in vehicles themselves, getting out to help other people out. Like those poor kids on the bus![/quote]
Maybe so ... perhaps it was farther in some places? :idontknow:

Or maybe they are just guesstimating

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1346557' date='Aug 1 2007, 10:36 PM']I heard that it was 64 ft...?
But I did hear them talking to a bunch of the people, some who were in vehicles themselves, getting out to help other people out. Like those poor kids on the bus![/quote]

That bus looked pretty close to the edge. Thank God it didn't go into the water.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Theologian in Training' post='1346423' date='Aug 1 2007, 08:34 PM']This is not meant to sound funny at all, but I really hope all my clown friends are OK.[/quote]

:lol: Okay... I needed that...

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1346497' date='Aug 1 2007, 09:13 PM']Seeing the pictures/footage, I don't understand how so many people didn't die! I don't understand how anyone could've survived that![/quote]
They have not yet begun to count the victims whose cars are trapped in the water under the bridge.
Only 6 confirmed dead at this point. I'm sure the number will be much, much higher

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1346551' date='Aug 1 2007, 09:34 PM']yeah it is pretty amazing ... they are saying that the fall was about 40 feet. Apparently there were many passersby -- bikers, pedestrians, cars behind the bridge, etc. -- that jumped in immediately to help with the rescues right after the collapse.

I was just thinking that it is a good thing that it happened in summer both because the water is warmer -- less chance of hypothermia -- and because there were more people out walking so they could jump in and help out right away.[/quote]
And yet, I wonder if heat played a part in this... Road contruction probably did...

I actually logged on to Phatmass to post some of my recent faithmouse cartoons, and the first thing I saw was the headline about the bridge collapse. I told my wife, and then we turned on the television.

My wife has a sister who's family went camping north for the week, and my wife had debated earlier in the day whether or not to check on her sister's house today. If she had done so, she would have driven over that same bridge on the way back home, within a few hours window of the collapse.

We've both driven that stretch hundreds if not thousands of times. It's going to be really tough for years to get around the cities because of the loss of that main artery.

I don't know if you've seen this on television, but there's an apartment tower directly to the east of where the school bus stopped, not more than a few hundred yards away. [url="http://www.wdtprs.com/blog/"]Father John Zuhlsdorf [/url]lived there with his mother when he attended the U of M. My wife lived in a dorm not far away when she was a student at the university as well.

Very close by and overlooking the freeway is the [i]Love Power [/i]mural-

[img]http://www.faithmouse.com/love_power.jpg[/img]

Prayers for everyone.

homeschoolmom

Yeah, that mural is not far at all....

RussianGirl was on the bridge an hour before it went down.

Lioness For Christ

This was just horribly shocking news...

But as for those who are shocked why more didn't die--I'd say it was because it was a real miracle from God... I'm surprised no one has said that yet.

I got to hear about someone who usually it seems, would have been on that bridge at that exact time, but she wasn't! Mom thinks there'll be more of those stories to come.... Let's keep an eye out for them.