An Old School Catholic Message Board

Bridge Collapse In Mpls

homeschoolmom

[quote name='the_rev' post='1347202' date='Aug 2 2007, 11:59 AM']Anyways, I'm definitly offering my prayers, I hope all our seminarians from the MN-St. Paul area are ok.[/quote]

Those not from the M-SP area should all be, since they are at home for the summer, mostly. I know my two good friends who go to SJV are in MI currently.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1347267' date='Aug 2 2007, 02:03 PM']What small thing are we complaining about? Bridges falling in to the river is a big thing... <_<[/quote]

That statement was in general, not specifically relating to this horrible incident. Some people think that if a bridge collapses, it means the US is going down the drain.

[quote name='Paladin D' post='1347341' date='Aug 2 2007, 01:51 PM']That statement was in general, not specifically relating to this horrible incident. Some people think that if a bridge collapses, it means the US is going down the drain.[/quote]

Yeah, this is a big deal, but it doesn't mean that the US is "becoming a third world country," that's just ridiculous.

homeschoolmom

Well, yes... that goes without saying... we are NOT a third world country.... that's just silliness..

However, is still doesn't change the fact that Americans in general tend to sweat over the small things that go on. This bridge incident is of great concern, which is not the issue. I was addressing Budge's "doomsday" outlook on America's future.

[quote name='Paladin D' post='1347413' date='Aug 2 2007, 02:58 PM']I was addressing Budge's "doomsday" outlook on America's future.[/quote]

One must remember that Budge is a fundie. Now, not all fundies are the same, but they tend to view America as the most important place in the world, and the intend to view the world (and everyone in it who doesn't answer their doctrinal Qs the way they deem correct) as this great big system of evil that is specifically out to get them and their local church. They also tend to relish the idea of the worst possible scenarios occuring in the world, that whole tribulation thing.

It's a kind of ego-centric hyper-paranoia. Trust me, I know, I've been there.

homeschoolmom

Gah... now we are coming to the part of these events that I hate the most...

"This is a picture of my sister... I haven't heard from her."
"My dad's name is.... This is his picture..."
"If anyone has seen this woman...."

:sadder: :sadder: :sadder: It's sad and scary enough that the bridge itself is down... but when the faces of the human victims start showing up.... I think about it constantly... I can't stop.

Dreamweaver

My prayers for the poor people killed and hurt in the accident.

I was just talking to my dad on the phone, and his boss's son was almost on the bridge (or nearby anyways) at the time of the collapse. The son had a light lit up on his car's dash, so he pulled over somewhere and called his dad for advice what to do. Sometimes car trouble is a good thing.

[size=1]When I first found out I couldnt believe it.
It didnt quite sink in.....and even now it seems so surreal.

Its so close to home that its hard to swallow.
It was a very scary day.
But I am happy that no one I know was hurt.
My heart goes out to everyone involved.
[/size]