An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholic Wedding Music...

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Raphael' post='1354663' date='Aug 9 2007, 11:38 PM']We have to limit our Latin to the songs sung by the choir alone, because half the people who will be there are Protestant.[/quote]

OOohhh nuts to them. <_<

Recessional:
"Musique Royale" by Delende
Prelude in Classic Style by Gordon Young (the title says prelude, but works well as recessional or postlude)

Preparation of the Gifts:
Just tell the organist to play something quiet and pretty (the Bach/Gounod setting of "Ave Maria" comes to mind). Or ask the organist to improvise on your favorite Latin hymn that can't be included in the Mass. Offertory is such an awkward spot to fill with a congregational hymn, because of its relative brevity and the competing action of making one's offering (which presumably won't be happening at your Mass). I often just play an instrumental, especially at weddings.

Edited by VaticanIILiturgist

How about "Stainless the Maiden"????

I know the title sounds shocking for a wedding in this day and age, but it is a rough English translation of the traditional Polish Marian hymn "Serdeczne Matko".

• 1 year later...

Hey Raph, guess what? I'm engaged! I would love to see what you did for music...can you post all the songs you chose and for what parts of the mass?

I hope all is well!!!!

Lulz... actually what Mr. & Mrs. Raphael told me what they had in their wedding was a great deal of help to me this summer. It's hilarious to see this bumped.

Congratulations, Traichoi!

Congrats on the engagement Traichuoi ^_^

Let's see if I can remember most of the music lol

Processional (Priests, Groomsmen, and Bridesmaids)

Sleepers Wake by Bach

Bride's Processional

Ave Maria (beautifully sang by jiyoung (phatmasser))

Communion Hymn

Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence

I don't remember what the offering hymn was lol that's sad I know. I was a little too focused at that point lol

Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring was in there somewhere lol

I think Panis Angelicus was the Presentation of the Gifts

[quote name='traichuoi' post='1660820' date='Sep 21 2008, 08:44 PM']Hey Raph, guess what? I'm engaged! I would love to see what you did for music...can you post all the songs you chose and for what parts of the mass?

I hope all is well!!!![/quote]
+J.M.J.+
congrats!! :D

[quote name='Raphael' post='1354663' date='Aug 10 2007, 12:38 AM']We have to limit our Latin to the songs sung by the choir alone, because half the people who will be there are Protestant.[/quote]

Ave Maria...even most protestants I know like it!

For my wedding we will have Schuberts Mass in G and for the recessional hymn, I want to use Beethoven's Alleluia chorus from Christ on the mount of Olives in english. Would be a nice choice for yours as well, if you can manage it!

Edited by Church Punk

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Church Punk' post='1661028' date='Sep 22 2008, 12:51 PM']Would be a nice choice for yours as well, if you can manage it![/quote]
I've been married for 9 months. :mellow: