An Old School Catholic Message Board

Tabernacle Placement

Dave

Where should the tabernacle be placed in a Catholic Church?  

95 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I know the Church says the tabernacle should be in a prominent, beautifully decorated location. I say the main altar is the most appropriate spot.

it doesn't specifically say it should be front-center? i thought it did...

anyway, to be able to follow the GIRM for Mass, if they're usin Hosts from the Tabernacle, it would have to be on the main altar because the priest is not supposed to leave the sanctuary after the consecration and EEMs aren't sposedta be gettin Him out of the tabernacle (like my parish's do)

however, our Church has a beautiful little chapel to the side with a nice big window so it's visible when looking to the main altar, but it's still over to the right not center like i think He should be. w/e... i'm quite unsure what i want my Parish to do, lol

Well, considering my parish has the tabernacle in a totally separate building, I'd be content with having it anywhere within viewing distance. :(

I prefer the center of the church, because as I see it, Christ is the center of our church and so should the tablernacle be as a representation of that. Its ok if its on the side of the alter too, but still in front.

What i dont like is when its seperated from the veiw of the congregation during mass. My parents go to this church that has a chaple with movable walls and sometimes the walls are shut during mass so you cant see the tabernacle at all. I know Jesus is there, i just wanna see the holy place during the entire mass.

It really depends on some things. For instance, in a church that get s alot of traffic during the day that might not be so reverent (like a basilica that might get a lot of non-Catholic visitors/sight-seers) it might be better to have a side chapel for the tabernacle. I remember visiting St. Augustine Church in Manila. There were many Japanese tourists who would go inside, chat loudly (during Mass even!) and take pictures. I wished the tabernacle wasn't in plain view there.

However in my parish, there is no such traffic. Therefore I am happy the tabernacle is front and center so I can go visit between Masses.

For Eastern Catholic Churches the answer is easy. Follow the line:

This is even more beautiful. But I can see the line you are referring to......

Please help us Latins! ;)

It really depends on some things. For instance, in a church that get s alot of traffic during the day that might not be so reverent (like a basilica that might get a lot of non-Catholic visitors/sight-seers) it might be better to have a side chapel for the tabernacle. I remember visiting St. Augustine Church in Manila. There were many Japanese tourists who would go inside, chat loudly (during Mass even!) and take pictures. I wished the tabernacle wasn't in plain view there.

Yeah, I knew that was the case with high-traffic churches. I've seen it in St. Peter's Basilica, Notre Dame in Paris, the cathedral in Seville, Spain, and other European cathedrals I've been to.

I don't see why they have to move it. I personally hate having to turn in a circle to genuflect. luckily my parish and my old traditional parish that I sometimes go to didn't boot the tabernacle off the altar. The modern parish that I go to was creative in building the chapel directly behind the altar, and the tabernacle has too doors, one in the back for the chapel and one in the front for the church, so the Eucharist doesn't have to get moved anywhere.

What is sad is when the tabernacle isn't present in the Church (or near it) ppl talk and laugh like it was a football stadium. Great way to teach the youth about Mass..... <_<

Our tabernacle is behind the main altar and we still have a guard rail. I am thankful. -_-

I've heard it said that since the altar is where the Consecration takes place, that the tabernacle with Jesus already in it only takes away from it. Ha!!! What b. s.! For years and years, many parishes have relegated tabernacles to other areas, but has it made people appreciate the Mass any more? Think of all the people who fail to genuflect, talk in Church, miss Mass, receive Holy Communion in the state of mortal sin, and you tell me they appreciate the Mass more!